Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179561 times)

essexian

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12875 on: 08 April, 2018, 05:31:06 pm »
This post could go into a number of threads including the rant thread!!

So, this morning I was off to do a local sportive.....sorry.... (actually, I am not sorry: the bloke arranges a lot of useful local rides and makes money for charity so I believe in sporting his efforts), so needed to get my road bike ready by giving it a bit of a clean, oil and pump up the tyres.... put the video camera on, add the Garmin, fill up the water bottles etc etc..... sigh, I remember the day when you just jumped on your ride and went  :facepalm:

Anyway, coming to pump the tyres up, I had a little bit of an issue getting my Park Tools track pump attached to the valve.... er, that looks wrong. Somehow, the end of the valve (the bit you unscrew) broke off and was now stuck in the pump!!!! And for some reason I could not get it out.

So, as I now didn't have a pump to inflate a new inner tube, I took the wheel out and replaced it with the one off my CX bike. However, this has a wider rim than my road bike wheel, so I had to move the brakes over so they fitted without rubbing. Thankfully, the chain and both cassettes are quite new so there was no jumping as can sometimes happen.

Off to the Sportive which turned out to be a bit too much of an effort, so much so that I pulled out about half way around....  :facepalm:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12876 on: 08 April, 2018, 05:34:23 pm »
Inner tube repair, will use it on the turbo

Some frame protection tape on the Cruzbike, and got all the wires in place for the dyno set up, took far longer than I expected, it's electrics after all.  I'll have to go back for another stint in the next couple of days to mount the lights and terminate the cables, and test everything, but that's the easy bit.

Have to get it all done for next Saturday's audax in any case.

Also re-reviewed the routes for my summer tour and a couple of planned prep rides
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12877 on: 08 April, 2018, 05:46:21 pm »
New front gear cable and casing on HK's Roberts, along with new brake hoods and handlebar tape.

Delivered 4 x 451 and 1 x 369 tubes to assorted BHPV folk while watching their first race of the season.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12878 on: 08 April, 2018, 06:07:41 pm »
Washed both the Renegade and TLD's Cube, as we both got them covered in crud during our ride out today.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #12879 on: 08 April, 2018, 08:54:51 pm »
Took the winter tyres off the hybrid (they earned their keep in the new year) and put back the marathon pluses. They're showing their age a bit now, I was was able to put them on with thumbs alone.
Cleaned a winter's worth of gunk out of the transmission.
With the wheels and chain off took the opportunity to clean up the harder to get at bits of the frame - so it's now just grubby rather than disgraceful.
Brake blocks really need replacing but haven't got any spares so that will have to wait until I can get some tomorrow.

Phil W

« Reply #12880 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:02:34 pm »
Laced new rim onto rear hub and brought up to tension. Truing and dishing tomorrow all being well.

« Reply #12881 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:10:12 pm »
Switched the stem on the fast bike for a shorter one in an effort to make it more comfortable.

Switched the mudguards on the single speed I inherited from my granddad for some less flimsy ones.

Fucking mudguards...

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #12882 on: 08 April, 2018, 09:53:20 pm »
Replaced the long and winding rear gearchange cable on Saphira. The indexing had been getting less reliable over the last couple of weeks, and the inner fitted at Mildenhall was rough near the back wheel.
Yesterday's job was a new chain pulley, the bearings now browned and grumbling a bit.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12883 on: 09 April, 2018, 08:48:10 am »
My rear wheel flat* wasn't a penetration wound but rather abrasion.  Some time ago I was shown a "great" way of fixing cuts in tyres with superglue. Unfortunately this had seeped right through the tyre and formed a hard bleb, which had subsequently cracked and roughened. I sanded the bleb off and put a new tube in. The tread still shows no sign of the old cut so I reckon the method is still viable if you deal with the seepage.

* apartment in the US
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #12884 on: 09 April, 2018, 09:41:16 am »
It was time to change the gear gables on the commuter.

...which led me to wondering if there's Calvin Jones fanfic...

...which led me to this interview with him by a 7 year old about freehub bodies...
https://buddypegs.com/blogs/podcast/buddy-pegs-podcast-3-calvin-jones

...which is probably close enough and I think I'll just stop googling now whilst it's still safe...

« Reply #12885 on: 09 April, 2018, 06:56:58 pm »
Having always had BB7 cable disc brakes up to my latest bike, I found myself with a very flaccid brake lever yesterday. Hating Amazon as I do, I really didn't like myself for ordering a Tektro bleed kit from them, but the lure of 1-day delivery meant I could fix my commuter quicker.

So, rather tentatively, I followed the YouTube video and bled both front & rear brakes. Piece of piss! Rather surprisingly, the flaccid rear brake lever didn't need as much fluid to restore it to firmness as the seemingly OK front one. It's pouring down here, so the acid test will be the first opportunity to stop tomorrow morning!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #12886 on: 09 April, 2018, 07:37:08 pm »
Changed middle ring and thoroughly de-gunked the rear mech and jockey wheels and ultra-sounded the chainset. Also spotted that the rear mech hanger mounting bolt was about half a turn loose. How on earth has that suddenly happened after being perfectly alright for, oooo, about 6000 miles ?
Rust never sleeps

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12887 on: 09 April, 2018, 07:40:30 pm »
Readjusted the gears on TLD's Cube.

Painted a sample coat on the planter I built a couple of years ago, on which the coat of fence paint I gave it, at the time, had faded.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12888 on: 10 April, 2018, 08:53:42 pm »
The Cinder Cone is back from Argos so I have been working out which spring goes with which cantilever arm.  Won't build the bike up just yet as I need to do the wheels and rustproof the inside of the frame.

Amazingly, they'd just had another 1992 red Cinder Cone in for respray this week.  92 is the best year - 91 had the welded-on QR seatclamp which caught your thighs and 93 frames had now-passé colour fades.  The decals aren't as nice from 94 on and the geometry started to become suspension-corrected, which means shorter head tubes and slightly ungainly 410mm Project Twos.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12889 on: 10 April, 2018, 09:50:20 pm »
Bit of tlc for the old Raleigh Kalahari, my 90’s bombproof cromoly MTB now converted as a fugly runabout. Cleaned the transmission and adjusted the saddle angle/position. It had tilted back just enough to cause numb nuts on my ride today  :o  Also lowered the handlebars a bit to try and stretch me out for a bit more speed on the road.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12890 on: 12 April, 2018, 03:17:34 pm »
New chain & cassette on Trek.

Emptied workshop bins (rare event).

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12891 on: 12 April, 2018, 03:30:01 pm »
That's where I'm going wrong.

There's me thinking the workshop is the bin . . .  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12892 on: 12 April, 2018, 09:42:56 pm »
A bit of backwards engineering at the shop today - customer with an old-ish mid-range/cheap Boardman with hydraulic discs manage to seize both calipers solid with rust and other crud .... and was also unimpressed with hydraulic brakes in general (Avids - not sure why?) .... anyway, he sourced a pair of as new cable-operated calipers and suitable MTB style V-brake levers for me to swap out.

All fitted perfectly and job done - I rode the bike up and down the road and it stopped on the proverbial 2.5p piece.  Taking his bargain calipers, inner and outer cables and labour the cost was not much more than list price for new pads (if the calipers could have been saved - doubtful) and shop price for bleeding.   And any ongoing adjustment is simple for him.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12893 on: 13 April, 2018, 08:26:29 am »

Mine still looks like it. Needs more tool racks / lots of boxes to get out / 30 years of accumulated stuff that might come in handy some day.

rogerzilla

« Reply #12894 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:47:28 am »
This weekend I need to change the bars (they're cheap and too narrow) and the seatpin pinch bolt on the Ron Cooper. Might build the wheels for the new commuter, too.

« Reply #12895 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:53:39 am »

Mine still looks like it. Needs more tool racks / lots of boxes to get out / 30 years of accumulated stuff that might come in handy some day.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12896 on: 14 April, 2018, 07:19:43 pm »
New rear brake pads on HK's MTB commuter and flintmined the tyres.
New chain and mined the brake pads and tyres on my fixed.
Adjusted a brake, changed the mudflap and handlebar tape and mined the tyres on HK's trike.
Changed the mudguard taillight on the Audax tandem.
Pumped up lots of tyres.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #12897 on: 14 April, 2018, 07:51:50 pm »
Ron Cooper has new bars, a new seatbolt and SPD-SL pedals.

New commuter is rustproofed and the top half is assembled.  Needs a good wax polish next.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12898 on: 14 April, 2018, 08:04:25 pm »
Loads of stuff but the stand out was a Trek 3700, bought for twenty quid from Gumtree then brought in for recommissioning.

Cleaned off a thick layer of muck, a paté of road dirt and WD40, fitted a new pair of Schwalbe Hurricanes, serviced it and set the brakes & gears.

One VERY happy customer!  :thumbsup:
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12899 on: 14 April, 2018, 08:05:48 pm »
Mantled a new hydration hose with some non-manky hose and a new Camelbak valve that doesn't dribble.