Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134025 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13525 on: 11 January, 2019, 09:15:52 am »
Replaced the wall wart for the WAP that serves the northern end of our house with an equivalent from an unused Ethernet switch.  Old one must have been dying for a week or so: the wifey signal has been getting weaker & dropping out occasionally. Got a steady 4/4 arcs in the wee fan now.

Satisfying: was pricing new WAPs this morning.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13526 on: 12 January, 2019, 01:02:30 pm »

Caught a horrific cut in a nearly new tyre on the way in to town today. Think it was from a bit of discarded circular saw or something.

In any case am attempting a repair. Have sanded and cleaned the inside of the tyre, and stitched the outside up with fishing wire. I will then use a tubeless repair kit which is coming in the post (tried 4 shops no one had them in stock).
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13527 on: 12 January, 2019, 01:04:51 pm »
Turned a new knob for the end of one of MrsT's knitting needles.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13528 on: 12 January, 2019, 01:32:05 pm »

Caught a horrific cut in a nearly new tyre on the way in to town today. Think it was from a bit of discarded circular saw or something.

In any case am attempting a repair. Have sanded and cleaned the inside of the tyre, and stitched the outside up with fishing wire. I will then use a tubeless repair kit which is coming in the post (tried 4 shops no one had them in stock).
Zoinks! Curious to see how this turns out.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13529 on: 12 January, 2019, 08:42:45 pm »
Converted a pile of plywood, metal strips and brackets into shelves for the pantry.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13530 on: 13 January, 2019, 10:21:11 am »
Replaced a mudguard taillight after HK broke it trying to recharge the batteries. I suspect that the best approach is to treat them as disposable and to have cheap spares ready to fit, given how many she has broken by closing doors on them, etc.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #13531 on: 13 January, 2019, 01:07:26 pm »
Humpert trekking bars and a very short & steep stem on the Kona CalderaShopper as Mrs Marco has some swimming injuries in her right arm & wants to sit up a bit more. Bit like On One's Mary bars but a little higher. Avid BB7s also bought to replace terminally squealy Hayes 9s on same (will need more time for that).

Humpert bars a big success; Mrs Marco even went for a non-utility ride a while ago, which is unheard of. I'll get her out on a forum ride one of these days. Today I completed conversion to BB7s with Avid levers and went for a quick pootle around for initial bedding-in. Mrs Marco commented on the bars making her view so much more enjoyable, and I can see why, it's turning into an nice all-day trundler.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13532 on: 15 January, 2019, 06:34:55 pm »
Fettled a friend's 3 speed Archer hub back into service which was very gratifying as I'd not worked on one before. Basically the guide rod had managed to become unthreaded and the funny tensioning clamp Gizmo had gone loose. Popped it back in, refit the cables, put some insulating tape around the chainstay to make the clamp stick in place, calibrated the shifter, jobs a goodun.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #13533 on: 15 January, 2019, 06:55:20 pm »
I just laced up a new SON hub and rim.  Now to find where I put the wheel-jig...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13534 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:01:53 pm »
Further rearranging of the upper part of Larrington Towers means the Lesser Bedchamber now actually contains a bed.  And has a door.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13535 on: 17 January, 2019, 02:07:15 pm »
Trebuchet now in full working order and demosntrate to Son No. 1.

My thoughts now turn to an authentic mini Roman Ballista  :)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13536 on: 17 January, 2019, 05:54:56 pm »

IRTA "automatic mini Roman Ballista" and boggled slightly.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13537 on: 17 January, 2019, 06:55:38 pm »
replaced worn out boa dials on the s-works shoes - very straightforward procedure

ElyDave

« Reply #13538 on: 18 January, 2019, 07:02:02 am »

IRTA "automatic mini Roman Ballista" and boggled slightly.

A semi-automatic crossbow, now that could be interesting!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13539 on: 18 January, 2019, 07:03:16 pm »
Started on the Poo Brown Bike.  Removed the Regina freewheel by taking it apart (I'm not going to buy a Regina remover for a one-off job), serviced the bearings on the somewhat pitted Campag rear hub, got out my long straight edge and respaced it to match the front chainline with an EAI sprocket screwed on.  The frame is actually straight...independently measured F and R chainline are the same (47mm) when the straight edge says it's straight.

Seatpost moves ok.  Not sure of size, forgot to look at engraving.  27.2 would be nice as I have a slightly longer one in the shed.

Removed all gear- related stuff.

Tyres (Swallow 27 x 1 1/8") are uncracked.  I might clean them up and save them.  New tubes and rim tape needed.

Pulled cranks.  FAG BB feels good.  Put cranks back on.

Dropout adjusters move  :o

Rims (Wolber Super Champion) barely worn and d/b spokes.  Eyelets rusted but so what?  Have started redishing rear wheel but two nipples are seized so will have to raid one of the scrap wheels behind the shed for spare ones.  Might dig out those slightly scratched Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars because the GB bars fitted have probably fatigued badly.  Someone on eBay will buy them for authenticity.

Frame is weirdly light.  Brooks B17 extremely good, no rail rust.  BB height 11" so great for fixed.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13540 on: 18 January, 2019, 07:41:50 pm »
Yesterday I re-engineered an old scanning photometer into a guitar fuzz-box pedal.  :smug:

I might write it up on the Wobbly Workshop thread, if I can find the photos I took and get the sound to sound right on a video clip.  ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

rogerzilla

« Reply #13541 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:45:35 pm »
Puzzled by seatpost size on Poo Brown Holdsworth.  No markings on existing one.  Measures up at about 27.1mm with calipers, but is very scratched.  A 27.0 goes in easily but has very slight rock and slips round if the seatbolt is moderately tightened.  A 27.2 is a bit tight.  There is paint inside the seat tube so I reckon it does want 27.2 and just needs a decent cleaning out.  If the (non-original) 531 decal is correct, the main tubes are double-butted so that would be the most likely size.  However, I have another 531 frame that weighs as d/b throughout yet takes a 27.0, so you can never be sure.

Stem bolt took one hell of a whack to make the wedge drop, but stem wasn't seized.

The local powdercoaters will blast and coat a frameset for £45 (SpaceBadger had one done there and it was pretty good; some powdercoating is shite) so it might not be poo brown for much longer.  PlanetX are selling the repro brass Holdsworth head badges for £8 now - they used to be £35!

I cleaned up one of the Swallow tyres by taking it into the shower with me (saves mess) and using a nailbrush on it.  It's certainly still usable.

The RH crank has a large gouge out of the back of it and doesn't look safe to use, which is annoying as it has a 48T ring.  However, I found a Shimano Exage crank for £3.50 on fleaBay and I happen to have a 42T 130BCD kicking around, so it can run 42 x 16.  I have a Dura-Ace 3/32" 16T I'll never use again, because the Bob Griffin turned out to be a rubbish fixie (BB too low) and is back as a singlespeed now.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13542 on: 19 January, 2019, 07:49:21 pm »
I just fettled a replacement expansion tank into my boiler, draining and refilling the system while I was at it. It seems to have fixed the pressure swings the boiler was suffering :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13543 on: 19 January, 2019, 08:05:57 pm »
A replacement rear tube on my fixed not far from Chalfont St Peter. Followed by breaking my glasses and a prat chucking something at me through his passenger window during my ride home. Bad things come in threes, right?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #13544 on: 20 January, 2019, 09:55:47 pm »
Dismantled the Poo Brown Bike.  Got 27.2mm seatpost to slide nicely after removing a lump and a few burrs.  Bare frame is 4lb 10oz and it's a biggie (23 1/2") so the tubing sticker is correct and it has d/b frame tubes (rule of thumb is 4 1/2 lb for a medium frame if it's full 531DB).  Found frame number, which matches fork number and dates it to 1986, much later than I expected considering it has a fork blade lamp bracket.  It is a genuine Holdsworth, anyway.

Fork crown race was spectacularly loose, just falling off, and I think someone may have fitted a JIS headset by mistake.  The seat is slightly undersized but a new Tange ISO crown race doesn't slip on and will require a press fit, so it's all good.

BB is a 119mm JIS taper and is actually an SKF, not a FAG.  It's quite serviceable but I'll have to see what sort of chainline I get with the Exage cranks.  From experience, Shimano road cranks of that age need something like a 110mm symmetrical BB BUT the SKF is asymmetric and longer on the non-drive side, so it may not be all that far off.  I was going to put a 1mm spacer under the fixed cog anyway, to ensure the chainline is still correct if someone puts a freewheel on later (Shimano freewheels are about 1mm further out than a fixed cog).

Annoyingly, the bars and stem turned out to be 25.4 and the spare bars I have kicking around are 25.8, 26.0 or 31.8.  The 31.8 bars are the nicest but would mean a quill converter, an A-stem and a load of unnecessary weight.

The Weinmann Vainqueur centre pulls cleaned up nicely.  I will use the Tektro levers that slope gave me.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13545 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:12:48 am »
Un-bunged the overflow from our kitchen twin sink.  The first time in 28 years...….

If one sink had water in it the other wouldn't drain - so I deduced it had to be the overflow which wasn't allowing air in.  I'd been putting it off for weeks.

Used one of those Muc-off (?) long abrasive pipe cleaners that they sell for cleaning chains and cassettes.  Worked brilliantly, along with a lot of hot water and my air compressor.

ElyDave

« Reply #13546 on: 21 January, 2019, 10:18:08 am »
I thought I'd found and sorted the mudguard rub on the front of the Giant.

It's one of those PITA noises that isn't there in the workshop and you can't quite pin down on the road.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #13547 on: 21 January, 2019, 10:22:59 am »
I thought I'd found and sorted the mudguard rub on the front of the Giant.

It's one of those PITA noises that isn't there in the workshop and you can't quite pin down on the road.

When you've done that, can you have a look at the rear m/g on my 20/26 'bent.  It rattles like hell on a bumpy road, but I'm damned if I can make it do it in the workshop.  It's so rattly you'd think it would be obvious, but 3 years later, I still can't find the source.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13548 on: 21 January, 2019, 10:44:40 am »
What's needed is a rig like a turbo-trainer but with a motor-driven ridged roller.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13549 on: 21 January, 2019, 11:30:29 am »
Or just use a knobbly tyre . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.