Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179311 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16025 on: 29 June, 2021, 07:43:33 pm »
Taken apart this type of henry motor:

Which is quite a struggle and suspect that the fan is attached to the motor in a certain way but will see as the motor kept popping fuses so see what a clean and sealed bearing regrease will do.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16026 on: 01 July, 2021, 03:35:00 pm »
jsabine popped round with a bb chasing/facing tool and we did two frames - vintage and a tt bike. cranks are spinning smoooooooooth!

« Reply #16027 on: 03 July, 2021, 09:18:57 am »
The drivers window on our car would only go down when it fancies it and up with some assistance. Contacted a breaker who wanted just over a hundred quid for a replacement motor and mechanism. Euro car parts with company account  £42 +vat

Wife had a late night and kids slept in so fairly early started stripping out the old one. Bit of a faff and some help from a really good YouTube video as a few less then obvious screws.

Did have a panic as thought the new one was wrong but I'd actually just caught the cable that drives it on the bodywork. All now fitted and working and a happy wife who uses the car a lot more than me...and only a small amount of claret offered to the lesser gods of car DIY

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16028 on: 03 July, 2021, 09:41:39 am »
Replaced the bearings in my fixed’s rear hub yesterday, and about bloody time too!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16029 on: 03 July, 2021, 01:37:07 pm »
Took the BB out of the Roberts again cos something is creaking.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16030 on: 03 July, 2021, 01:57:22 pm »
Front inner gear cable replaced. Reassembled front  bar end shifter as a part was in wrong orientation limiting full lever throw and ease of getting big ring.  Nice and smooth and light bar end shifter movement restored and all rings available again on my triple.

« Reply #16031 on: 03 July, 2021, 06:56:08 pm »
Swapped a Dura-Ace QR skewer for a different one in the quest to eliminate a rear-end creak. Problem solved. Need to investigate if I can stop the original one creaking now.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #16032 on: 03 July, 2021, 07:12:26 pm »
Taken apart this type of henry motor:

Which is quite a struggle and suspect that the fan is attached to the motor in a certain way but will see as the motor kept popping fuses so see what a clean and sealed bearing regrease will do.

Reassembled the henry and still pops fuses.

Wonders what else could be wrong as there is nothing in there that would cause an issue.

« Reply #16033 on: 03 July, 2021, 07:28:32 pm »
Is there a speed controller, or just an on-off switch?

Can the fan be spun by hand?

If you disconnect the motor, does it still blow fuses?

Does it blow fuses with the on-off switch set to off?

Answers to those will let me (and probably Kim) have a much better guess as to what is wrong.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #16034 on: 03 July, 2021, 09:21:39 pm »
Fitted super super compact chainrings and 11-34 cassette to audax bike. Then reassembled the bottom bracket on the gitane after an hour or so chasing paint out of the threads.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16035 on: 03 July, 2021, 09:27:56 pm »
mended a rear wheel, that broke two spokes few seconds apart. cycled the remaining 163km hoping that it will hold. it did!

« Reply #16036 on: 04 July, 2021, 04:27:12 pm »
I tried to fettle the washer on a tap, but the retaining screw wouldn’t undo despite WD40. Then Mrs Dan wanted a bath, so I put that back together for another day.

I did, however, get the worst of the mud off my bike, give the chain an oil, the rear brake a tighten, and a run over all the bolts to make sure. Then tweaked the saddle, bars and bar bag bracket a little as i was feeling the weight on my hands a little.

« Reply #16037 on: 04 July, 2021, 07:20:34 pm »
mended a rear wheel, that broke two spokes few seconds apart. cycled the remaining 163km hoping that it will hold. it did!

I think I see the problem - someone's pinched half your spokes so the others have to work too hard!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16038 on: 04 July, 2021, 07:40:03 pm »
Seems unusual for them to break in the middle like that.  Manufacturing defect?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16039 on: 04 July, 2021, 07:44:52 pm »
Yes. I'd bin the rest of them too.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #16040 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:08:39 pm »
Is there a speed controller, or just an on-off switch?

Can the fan be spun by hand?

If you disconnect the motor, does it still blow fuses?

Does it blow fuses with the on-off switch set to off?

Answers to those will let me (and probably Kim) have a much better guess as to what is wrong.

Just an on and off switch.  I dismantled two motors to create one.  One motor had the windings failed and the other the armature.

I'll look in to in another day I'm not so annoyed with it.

« Reply #16041 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:20:55 pm »
Finished giving some TLC to my Thorn Raven Tour. Has had new brake cables, shifter cables, internal Rohloff gearbox cable, sprocket and chain ring. The final touches required a new pair of bayonet connectors (15 squid!) for the shifter cables because the old ones had seized and I had to cut them off. Thankfully all working nicely now.
"There are proven ways; play on the certain knowledge of their superiority, the mystique of secret covenant, the esprit of shared suffering"

« Reply #16042 on: 04 July, 2021, 10:30:18 pm »
Ominous creak cured by nipping up crank arms as suggested in this place. Most pleased.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #16043 on: 05 July, 2021, 09:19:24 am »
the wheels had to survive one trip before being swapped, which they almost did. glad to have had a rudimentary spoke wrench in multitool, which, while rounded some of the nipples, did a good enough job in keeping me going (albeit, with a mild anxiety).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16044 on: 05 July, 2021, 02:17:50 pm »
Resurrected the wee backpack I used on our 2014 Strasbourg-Brest, and which has been hanging on my wardrobe door ever since. Went over it with the dust extractor in the workshop then re-proofed it: looks like new.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #16045 on: 05 July, 2021, 04:47:31 pm »
I thought the V-brakes on pub bike weren't working, so clamped arms together and adjusted cable (after screwing lever adjusters in).

It appears that if the brake cable is an inch and a quarter shorter the brakes come on.     :facepalm:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16046 on: 06 July, 2021, 01:21:41 pm »
Swapped out the rear tyre on HK’s Roberts for a slightly slower tyre with no holes in it.

I must get round to re-gooping her Kinesis's tubeless tyres at some point.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16047 on: 06 July, 2021, 04:01:41 pm »
One cycle related, one sort of.   Modified my Thule 3 bike towbar rack to make it about 8cm narroower on the "add-on" bar so it fits in the storage space, with a cover, where we keep the bins - rather than taking valuable workshop space [I don't use it very often as if just one bike is travelling it goes inside the car].   Second fettle was to take apart and re-assemble a pop-rivet gun that had managed to jam a pin in the spring-loaded collet.

Oh, and I fixed some sleeper sized timber to the posts I concreted in yesterday - all part of the ongoing landscape work in the garden.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16048 on: 06 July, 2021, 06:03:52 pm »
Have taken many photos and utterly spammed the local Freegle group with posts of all my tat that I need to get shot of. (Mostly all the beer fest glasses and vases that never made it out of the box since the last move 16 years ago).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16049 on: 06 July, 2021, 07:51:22 pm »
Topped up the goop in HK’s Kinesis. Time to order some more Orange Seal Endurance.