Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179361 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #17325 on: 12 October, 2022, 11:28:21 pm »
Finally got around to putting the puncture patch on my mudguard.

« Reply #17326 on: 13 October, 2022, 07:54:25 am »
I did ask Spa if my existing 105 7000 series FD would work with their chainset, they indicated that it would. Recommend that I use 119 mm BB. In my early 60s now and am future proofing my bike as I can’t my legs.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #17327 on: 13 October, 2022, 10:21:19 am »
Post-fettling (last week) report - fitted a Sunrace 11-40 10speed cassette to one of my road-bikes with Tiagra 4700 50/34 double at the front - needed to fit an extender and add a bit more chain - works a treat (on the flat it's difficult to pedal fast enough to balance in the lowest gear  ;D

My legs appreciate the difference  :thumbsup:  - next step is to try the wheel with the 40T in my tourer which has a Tiagra 4703 triple at the front - again with an extender.  I think it may be taking the gearing too low and just not work with chain/jockey wheel interfaces.

« Reply #17328 on: 13 October, 2022, 11:47:34 pm »
Lost a bar end plug so took the opportunity to purchase and fit some bar end mirrors described upthread.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17329 on: 14 October, 2022, 05:14:52 pm »
200g of green Atitlán into hopefully drinkable coffee.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17330 on: 15 October, 2022, 05:34:20 pm »
Adjusted the headsets on HK’s Micro and fixed the front shifting.

Replaced the gear cables on HK’s Kinesis. Internal cabling is a shit idea.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17331 on: 15 October, 2022, 05:39:32 pm »
Front mech on the Red Baron, which had been having mysterious chain-dropping issues at the last BHPC race.

It turns out that the grub screw that secures the eccentric seat-tube-sized wossname on the derailleur post that the derailleur mounts to had worked loose.  The gear cable tension was doing a reasonable job of restraining it vertically, but the rotational play was causing all sorts of havoc whenever the chain wasn't under load in the big ring.

This probably needs revisiting properly with Loctite over winter.  The cable's also looking a bit dubious.

« Reply #17332 on: 15 October, 2022, 06:13:34 pm »

robgul

« Reply #17333 on: 15 October, 2022, 06:56:35 pm »
Commenced constructing the final stretch of fence on one side of the garden - 420 metres of treated tile batten to staple to the uprights at - 29 "levels" @ 12mm spacing in a 13m run @ 90cm upright intervals - that's a lot of staples. . . good job I have a battery nail gun  :thumbsup:

Best part is that the timber I bought today was actually cheaper than the same stuff was 12 month ago - remarkable.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17334 on: 15 October, 2022, 10:48:03 pm »
Finished flooring part of the loft. Took the boxes of stuff that have been sitting in my office for the past year and shoved most of them in the loft. Did not expect to have filled the floored area already but there you go.
Am fuxxored now.

While I was flooring the loft Pingu was making shelves out of the bits of random wood/MDF/whatever I was finding buried in the insulation to replace the crap bendy shelves in our garage shelving area.
They made sense. Why there were also several lengths of 2x4 type material up there I have no idea.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #17335 on: 16 October, 2022, 12:03:46 am »
...Why there were also several lengths of 2x4 type material up there I have no idea...

Why was there an electric lawnmower under the floorboards?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17336 on: 16 October, 2022, 10:10:58 am »
Commenced constructing the final stretch of fence on one side of the garden - 420 metres of treated tile batten to staple to the uprights at - 29 "levels" @ 12mm spacing in a 13m run @ 90cm upright intervals - that's a lot of staples. . . good job I have a battery nail gun  :thumbsup:

...or a great excuse reason to buy one.  Our fencing is rigid steel mesh. Drat.

Best part is that the timber I bought today was actually cheaper than the same stuff was 12 month ago - remarkable.

Amazing I'd call it.  The other day I was looking at the furniture I made in the 90's and lamenting that you don't even see wood like that any more - 40 cm wide red pine boards, beautiful stuff that worked like hardwood and looked wonderful with a coat of cherry stain.  It smelt great, too. It is still available, but as 3 cm wide laths to carry tiles.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17337 on: 16 October, 2022, 09:02:11 pm »
Took the inner glass out of the oven door and scrubbed it Utterly to Deth. Looking at my dinner cooking is no longer like viewing it through a Cokin graduated tobacco filter.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17338 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:36:45 pm »
I finally got too annoyed with the horrible squeaking/scraping noise coming from the kitchen door handle (the one I replaced last year just after we moved in). So I took the handles/plates off and even took the old latch assembly out of the door, opened it up (I stupidly didn't take a photo before making the pingfuckits explode out of it but I seem to have got away with winging it), lubed absolutely everything that moves and then put it all back together again.
It still feels a little bit grunchy but it's almost silent now. Ahhh, quiet and quite satisfying. Hopefully stay it'll quiet until such time as I find the beans to GAMI to replace the door.

This was getting noisy and grunchy again. Not really surprising as the lube I used was only that Lakeland silicone type stuff, a bit thin really, and I just dribbled it over the cams, I didn't dismember them.
So today I got the circlip pliers and the PTFE bike grease out and took it to bits properly and slathered the springs in grease. Even managed (somehow) to manage not to send the circlips pinging off into orbit, there's a wonder.
Hopefully that will last a bit longer in peace now. Bit cheap of the manufacturers not to properly grease the springs from the beginning though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #17339 on: 25 October, 2022, 12:01:23 pm »
Took the inner glass out of the oven door and scrubbed it Utterly to Deth. Looking at my dinner cooking is no longer like viewing it through a Cokin graduated tobacco filter.
Indeed
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #17340 on: 25 October, 2022, 12:32:01 pm »
I only went to swap the tyres on my tourer, one thing led to another, now I need to replace the rear mech :facepalm:

(I have a spare 9-speed rear mech somewhere in the house)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17341 on: 25 October, 2022, 03:36:07 pm »
Planed 5 mm off the edge of the old barn door where it was binding on the new one. The new one is weather-proofed, the old one isn't and swells accordingly.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17342 on: 27 October, 2022, 12:35:15 am »
A proper write-up of Battle Mountain 2022 which I promised to do as soon as I got home from abroad and then promptly forgot about until kicked up the arse by Mme Editrix the other day.  How many tyops, errors grammatic and general nonsensical sentences can you fit into 12 pages of A4?  Much poof-reding still needed chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17343 on: 27 October, 2022, 04:20:18 pm »
Unfettled the fallen half of the barn door (yawn) that has been lying in the garden since early June.  Haven't done it until now because (a) CBA and (b) damn thing's full of clenched nails.  This afternoon I took my wee relabelled Einhell circular saw to it and cut through the erstwhile horizontals in line with the edges of the verticals, since the original carpenters wouldn't have banged in nails where they would split the wood. Hypothesis holds so far.

Knocked off halfway due to an attack of (a).  Also needed to let saw cool down: it's a game wee thing but the depth stop slips and occasionally it was plunging too deep and jamming.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17344 on: 27 October, 2022, 11:12:52 pm »
Following a visit to the Swedish Hall of Dreams at the weekend, I put some Stubbarp legs onto a Kallax cube. 

The legs aren't made for the cube, so I bought some M8 x 60mm countersunk bolts, did a bit of almost accurate drilling, followed by countersinking, only after discovering that the part of the Kallax I was drilling into was mostly thin air.  Anyway, all bolted together succesfully and appears solid.

I'm such a rebel.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

« Reply #17345 on: 28 October, 2022, 08:12:53 am »
Following a visit to the Swedish Hall of Dreams at the weekend, I put some Stubbarp legs onto a Kallax cube. 

The legs aren't made for the cube, so I bought some M8 x 60mm countersunk bolts, did a bit of almost accurate drilling, followed by countersinking, only after discovering that the part of the Kallax I was drilling into was mostly thin air.  Anyway, all bolted together succesfully and appears solid.

I'm such a rebel.

You want to look at the IKEA hacks website for the real rebels. . . . some pretty clever stuff.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17346 on: 28 October, 2022, 01:45:58 pm »
Reunited the errant left crank with the rest of the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle and restored the cadence function to its computer while I was at it.  Double-sided tape ftw.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17347 on: 30 October, 2022, 09:01:14 am »
Reset all the timers in the house that don't reset themselves because fallback embuggerance.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #17348 on: 30 October, 2022, 10:21:25 am »
Forgot that was happening today.  Now I need to remember the incantation to turn off summer time on my watch.

Edit: done the watch, the microwave and the wall clocks.  Just the alarm clock left.  Which can wait.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17349 on: 30 October, 2022, 10:58:25 am »
Mucked out the parrot.  :sick:  Must do it more often in future. #augeas