Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179064 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #17850 on: 21 May, 2023, 11:46:49 pm »
I busted my Herman Miller Aeron chair

12 year warranty on them, isn't there? Presumably they'll send you out the bits, even if they don't also send out a white coated technician

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17851 on: 22 May, 2023, 12:48:12 am »
I guess it's yesterday now but 'today' I ended up building a 1.8 x 0.4m shelf in the garden from old bits of wood which MrsShroom want's to turn into a sort of bar.

Then I finally got time in the evening to complete my birthday Wayfarer build. The gears now work, the Zoom disc brakes seem to grip and the bars are now wrapped.

Now to find time to actually get out on it and adjust to fit me!  :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #17852 on: 22 May, 2023, 01:43:38 pm »
I busted my Herman Miller Aeron chair

12 year warranty on them, isn't there? Presumably they'll send you out the bits, even if they don't also send out a white coated technician
Mine was swapped for a Fred Scott Supporto chair - so no warranty with it.
I note with interest that S/H Fred Scott Supporto chairs are going through the till at upwards of £2.5k these days.
I can't see a S/H Aeron chair fetching anywhere near that.

« Reply #17853 on: 23 May, 2023, 06:10:36 pm »

Fettled this nozzle onto a bottle of ant death.
All properly sealed with o-rings so that there is no escape of toxins from anywhere other than the pointy end.
Trust me when I tell you that it is a game-changer in the on-going war against invading ants.
I can accurately distribute how much ant death I want, exactly where I want it.
Result.

« Reply #17854 on: 23 May, 2023, 07:37:17 pm »
Oiled the front rim eyelets on the LHT.  Then rode to Cirencester and back (47 miles).  Not a creak to be heard.  It needs doimg ever year, or the noise becomes insufferable.  DRC ST19 rims.
Surely the spokes are insufficiently tensioned if the rim eyelets are allowed to move?
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #17855 on: 23 May, 2023, 07:50:40 pm »
Built a new rear wheel for my CX.

Original rim was showing signs of cracking at every spoke bed, all these cracks appeared on the non-drive side of the rim.

I had been running it for four years, at or just over its maximum weight rating.

The new rim and spokes weigh about 100g less than the original equipment items, and the new rim is a couple of mm wider, but of slightly lower profile.

If it is an overwhelming success, I will do the same for the front wheel!

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17856 on: 23 May, 2023, 08:28:22 pm »
Oiled the front rim eyelets on the LHT.  Then rode to Cirencester and back (47 miles).  Not a creak to be heard.  It needs doimg ever year, or the noise becomes insufferable.  DRC ST19 rims.
Surely the spokes are insufficiently tensioned if the rim eyelets are allowed to move?

There is differential expansion between the SS eyelets and Al rim due to thermal effects and the eyelets do not have a consistent clamping force around their circumference. Creaking isn’t too surprising.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #17857 on: 24 May, 2023, 08:24:48 am »
It would seem that we have entered a period where little rain is likely to fall in my area. Not only that, we have just gone on to a metered water supply. So I re-established my bathwater collection system, a duplicate downpipe which feeds into an old plastic dustbin.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17858 on: 24 May, 2023, 10:33:36 am »

There is differential expansion between the SS eyelets and Al rim due to thermal effects and the eyelets do not have a consistent clamping force around their circumference. Creaking isn’t too surprising.
Jobst Brandt said this creaking was caused by rust but the DRC rims have stainless eyelets.  It is probably powdery aluminium corrosion between the eyelets and rim.  Anyway, oil shuts it up for a year or so

https://yarchive.net/bike/rim_noise.html
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #17859 on: 24 May, 2023, 01:01:26 pm »

Fettled this nozzle onto a bottle of ant death.
All properly sealed with o-rings so that there is no escape of toxins from anywhere other than the pointy end.
Trust me when I tell you that it is a game-changer in the on-going war against invading ants.
I can accurately distribute how much ant death I want, exactly where I want it.
Result.

Do they do that in squirrel flavour ?
Rust never sleeps

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #17860 on: 25 May, 2023, 09:09:52 pm »
Today I fixed the garage back door lock.  I have not been able to lock it for around a week.

Unexpectedly the new lock was deeper than the old lock so I got the chisel out and made it ready to accept the new lock.  I also had to drill new holes for the latch spindle and keyhole were further back.  I stuck the new spindle in and used to position the new door handle.  I closed the door to try it out.  The spindle slid out and I have not been able to find it, damnit. I put the spindle from the old lock into the new hole so I could close the door and check the lock.   This showed the old door jamb plate was different so I had to install the new one.  More chisel work.  Now I can lock the door. Tomorrow a new spindle will arrive.  The old one is too short.  I will finish the job with the inside handle.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17861 on: 26 May, 2023, 05:58:00 pm »
Changed the tyres on the 1951 Holdsworth for tomorrow morning's ride.  It didn't get ridden last year at all, but the chain is still oily.  It's the fastest bike I own, for some reason - can hold 22mph for ages on the flat.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #17862 on: 26 May, 2023, 07:47:48 pm »
Made a derailleur alignment check tool for 135mm OLD frames. 

Got a little "doonk" (irregular noise) accompanied by a little kick from the otherwise smooth 9 speed rear cassette / derailleur, maybe two or three times in a minute then nothing for 10 minutes at a consistently high load, most usually noticeable in the 4th, 5th and 6th gears, but sometimes in the higher ratios too.
Everything in the following list is new - pedals, cranks, chainrings, BB, chain, cassette, derailleur jockey wheels, wheels (inc freehub), tyres, tapes and tubes.
Noticed there was lateral movement of the hanger when I tightened the qr skewer. Found there was some muck behind the hanger, where it fits in the dropout. Cleaned that all out and tightened it back up. No unwanted movement there now. Was still getting the noise under high loads though, hence the need to accurately check the alignment of the derailleur before re-replacing the list of items one at a time!
The alignment of the derailleur hanger is checked by comparing the edges of the false axle and the threaded axle (which is screwed into the hanger) and then measuring the distance between the two (with verniers), along their length.
I don't think this accuracy of alignment will make any difference, and I will be replacing items next week, following the 200k tomorrow.

Finally cured the noise.
Found what looked like too much axial float in the Guide Pulley.
Measured the bush sizes.
Decided to grind off 0.3mm (12thou) from the length of the inner bush, reducing the float to 0.5mm (20thou) and that did the trick. No more little clonks under load.

Well that was a battle!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17863 on: 26 May, 2023, 09:10:35 pm »
Replaced a rubber wossname where the bath/sink drain meets the soil stack, in order to cure a long-standing leak.  Fettling sewage pipes above your head while wobbling on a ladder is Type-2 fun, but a £2 part and a long scrubby shower is still better than dealing with landlords.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #17864 on: 26 May, 2023, 09:42:13 pm »
Junior's car, a 2017 vw golf.
Wipers: 10 mins.
Wing mirror glass: 10 mins.
Headlight bulb: 5 hours.

As with most modern cars, the production line starts with the headlight bulbs suspended on stalks, and they build the rest of the car around them.

Watched a few videos about how to proceed, and all of them are wrong.
None of them match what I actually have here.
Probably due to the vids being US or Euro in origin, and the cars are subtly different.

The bulbs can actually be removed,*just*, in-situ.
You just pop off a rubber cover, and then twist the lampholder anti-clockwise, and out they come.
But there is only marginal clearance behind the headlight to easily get them out to a position where you can actually swap the bulb. Takes a couple of minutes finagling it out.
The problem arises trying to re-fit the lampholder into the headlight assembly, totally blind.
You just can't see in the back of the headlight unit, there's no line-of-sight.
It has to be done by blind groping and peering in the front.

The instructions have you dismantle the whole front of the car to pull the headlight unit forward out of the car to help with this.
I tried this, but the instructions were just wrong.
After un-doing all the fixings, the headlight unit became quite free, but could not be slid out forward like the videos showed.
There was a substantial plastic peg sat under the lower part of the front bumper, which prevented forward movement.
I was unable to remove the bumper panel at this point, and gave up.

Resorted to blind groping which eventually worked.

Note to self: When removing lamp, note the orientation of the twisty handle of the lampholder when in locked-in mode, and note the position when it comes loose, so you can estimate the correct orientation when trying to re-fit blind!

« Reply #17865 on: 27 May, 2023, 03:01:18 pm »
Replaced tiny broken plastic paper feed cam on my Brother printer. You tube can be really helpful sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0QYmLdHoHg
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17866 on: 27 May, 2023, 03:19:51 pm »
Replaced the wornout front tyre and replaced a rear tube with a slow leak on HK’s orange trike. The replacement tube let go at the valve, so replaced it again! Swapped out the borrowed saddle for a new one. The front rim will have to be replaced at some point this year.

Swapped out the Garmin mount and the headlight mount on HK’s shiny trike for a combined mounting. Dropped the saddle a touch.

Flint-mined a lot of tyres.

Washed the audax tandem, which has barely been ridden since last PBP. Replaced the front tyre, adjusted the front brake and retensioned the timing chain. Fitted a Diva saddle and swapped the stoker’s pedals to suit tomorrow’s rider. Other than a repaint, it is ready for another PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17867 on: 27 May, 2023, 05:18:45 pm »
A b0rked chair in the Mess at Fort Larrington rebuilt with screws not made from dairy produce.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17868 on: 28 May, 2023, 08:23:01 am »
Rubbed half a pint of ketoprofen gel into the Left Knee of Doom.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17869 on: 28 May, 2023, 12:16:13 pm »
Rubbed half a pint of ketoprofen gel into the Left Knee of Doom.

What is that in football fields or areas the size of Wales.

EDIT- Sorry being flippant.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17870 on: 28 May, 2023, 02:36:52 pm »
No idea, but I doubt if anyone has ever rubbed ketoprofen gel into either.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17871 on: 28 May, 2023, 08:58:01 pm »
A new seatpost, with more setback, on the black bike. Then a new bottle cage, which I later removed in favour of the original. And lastly, repositioned the frame-fitting pump from the conventional position under the top tube to on top of the top tube, using a toothed wheel from an old Cateye light bracket as a substitute peg. And lots of Voile straps! So far, it's holding steady.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17872 on: 28 May, 2023, 09:31:43 pm »
Yesterday was a U bend under a bathroom sink, that was draining slowly.  The U bend and pip were full of gung.  Cleared out the trap and going back on the trap is now leaking.  Over the years many bits have been lost so basically lots of PTFE tape to bodge it back together.

Today fitting kitchen door hinges and then refitting doors to a kitchen with someone who cannot identify different types of cros head screws so has managed to chew every head.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #17873 on: 28 May, 2023, 09:48:33 pm »
Cleaned out the filter of the Fort Larrington washing machine, made the strimmer, er, strim, cleared the underfoot and overhead herbiage from the path to the compost heap and got to use thee Hoover ov Doom the leaf blower thing to tidy up afterwards.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17874 on: 28 May, 2023, 10:46:52 pm »
Yesterday molished an anti-aviary to keep the bastard pigeons off my peas. Managed to use a bit of invading bamboo as part of the structure.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)