Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179536 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18100 on: 10 August, 2023, 11:14:06 am »
I assume it's a mild abrasive.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #18101 on: 10 August, 2023, 11:16:21 am »

Toothpaste? Yes.
But Windowlene  ???

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #18102 on: 10 August, 2023, 01:00:10 pm »
A mix of fettling and divery.

The Boy was complaining that the Big Knife (Opinel Kitchen Knife) was in need of a sharpening, so I broke out the Special Bit of MDF, bits of emery paper, water spray and Windowlene.

10 minutes later the Big Knife was Scarily Sharp, which I proved when I sliced my finger, giving the blade a wipe with a bit of kitchen roll.

What porpoise the Windowlene?
I spray a bit on the 2500 grit. Sometimes.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18103 on: 10 August, 2023, 01:52:53 pm »

Toothpaste? Yes.
But Windowlene  ???

Lapping fluid.  I use it on diamond "stones".

I also have a stick of green honing paste I use with a strop.  I use it for chisel- and plane-blades but I shy away from using it on cooking knives, though I suppose it'd be OK if I washed them well afterwards.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18104 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:49:50 pm »
Had a suspension air bag fail on the planet slayer through old age and the rubber cracking last week - luckily only a couple of miles from home, as the following day it was going to be loaded up for a long journey. Bouncing along on the bump stops wasn't fun, but failing then meant we could make alternative arrangements for transporting the kit around rather than spending hours at the side of the road waiting for the big yellow taxi.

So fixed that today. Not terribly difficult, just all the fun of pulling a car's suspension apart to get the strut out, then disassembling the strut to replace the bag and associated seals. That includes removing bolts that were done up to 250Nm over a decade ago - definitely pleased I invested in a big impact wrench. "20 minute job when I did mine" said my son, albeit on a different model. I expected it to take longer, as it takes that long to get it jacked up and onto stands, get a wheel off, refit the wheel and drop it back down again, without touching the suspension. Ended up spending about 2 hours taking my time, but very satisfying to have the big girl running again.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18105 on: 12 August, 2023, 06:47:55 am »
Yesterday, half-taped the handlebars on my Trykit before the hill climb at the Recumbent World Championships. Not the traditional TTer trick of just wrapping the drops but wrapping the RH side and not the left. Not enough time between arriving, putting up the tent and heading out to the start line to do otherwise.

Finished wrapping the bars this morning, so I don’t look even more of a weirdo, beyond the weirdo quotient derived from riding an upright trike amongst swarms of recumbents and velomobiles.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18106 on: 12 August, 2023, 11:52:11 am »
Looks like the weight saving gained you a respectable result, thobut  :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18107 on: 12 August, 2023, 02:18:31 pm »
I have trained for plodding through 1200km, not sprinting 4km up a Swiss mountainside. I will recycle this excuse for my poor showing in today’s sprints and in tomorrow’s road race.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #18108 on: 12 August, 2023, 03:35:48 pm »
Replaced the screws holding the hinges to the front door frame as those installed up until just now were installed about 25 years ago by a ham-fisted dolt.  Does anyone make:

1: screws and
c) Pozidrive screwdriver bits

out of something other than cheese?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #18109 on: 12 August, 2023, 03:46:22 pm »
Painting skirting boards.
I hate painting now. I always seem to be doing it. Skirting boards are the worst.
A wall or a door, or whatever, involves plenty of free sploshing with a little cutting in here and there.
Bloody skirting boards is 100% cutting in.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18110 on: 12 August, 2023, 03:56:11 pm »
Painting skirting boards.
I hate painting now. I always seem to be doing it. Skirting boards are the worst.
A wall or a door, or whatever, involves plenty of free sploshing with a little cutting in here and there.
Bloody skirting boards is 100% cutting in.

Masking tape (a.k.a. Painter's tape) is your friend - lots of low-tack stuff available now, and some with polythene sheeting attached for larger masking duties.  Mask thoroughly, splosh the paint on!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18111 on: 12 August, 2023, 04:09:26 pm »
What I mostly hate about painting skirtings is sanding them.
I have not touched any skirtings at the New!improved!PinguTowers but I suspect I will do when the bathroom refurb has been done. (That's assuming there are any skirtings remaining when I get back)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #18112 on: 12 August, 2023, 04:42:14 pm »
We have installed a replacement cat flap. The old one died several years ago, so we couldn't lock it for outward bound moggies.
This has not been a problem for the last several years as we've had no cats and it was a good idea for any strangers to be able to leave whenever they or we wanted them to.
We now have a new cat. He's a rescue, about five years old, and as far as we know has never been outdoors in his life.
Fitting the flap was fairly straightforward as it's a direct replacement for the old one.
Programming it to read the cat's ID chip has left me with a couple of lovely scratches on my shin!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #18113 on: 12 August, 2023, 09:38:29 pm »
A new to me rear wheel that felt tight. I took the freehub and axle out, regreased  the ring where the pawls engage and reassembled leaving the preload cap a little less tight. All seems much better.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18114 on: 12 August, 2023, 09:47:54 pm »
We have installed a replacement cat flap. The old one died several years ago, so we couldn't lock it for outward bound moggies.
This has not been a problem for the last several years as we've had no cats and it was a good idea for any strangers to be able to leave whenever they or we wanted them to.
We now have a new cat. He's a rescue, about five years old, and as far as we know has never been outdoors in his life.
Fitting the flap was fairly straightforward as it's a direct replacement for the old one.
Programming it to read the cat's ID chip has left me with a couple of lovely scratches on my shin!

Sounds like a trip to the Gratuitous Cat Pics thread is in order :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18115 on: 15 August, 2023, 05:55:34 pm »
Replacement door hung but lock not yet installed so currently secured with a bolt to prevent the local cheery urchins from robbing the contents of the porch.  As an antidote to wrestling large and intractable lumps of wood I also trimmed the wiring inside the plug on my travelling 4-gang so the meaty outer insulation actually makes it into the 'ole in the plug instead of finishing a finger-width outside it.

Stupid USAnian plug.  Hates it forever.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18116 on: 16 August, 2023, 12:34:06 pm »
Gaze upon the majesty of Larrington Towers' new front door!  And yes, I was able to get back in after taking the photo.  Only took four years.

Installed! by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18117 on: 16 August, 2023, 01:01:46 pm »
Good-looking door - fiddly buggers to get right.

UK insurers haven't got round to insisting on two locks yet?  Lack of a second invalidates your insurance here: "sorry your house burned down but you only had one lock on the door so we're not paying you anything".  We have two, but one of them has a cylindrical keyway and some years back a solitary wasp nested in it. I did clear it out but it's still kinda mushy when you shove the key in and MrsT doesn't like it so we never use it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18118 on: 16 August, 2023, 01:06:33 pm »
I think it depends on the lock.  PVC doors with multi-point locking operated by a Euro cylinder are pretty common here.  Possibly they like a second lock if the lock only operates at one point.  Last time I had reason to care about such things, they were more interested in the complexity of the lock than the solidness of the door.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18119 on: 16 August, 2023, 01:07:53 pm »
Door from the porch into the actual house has two - a Yale-stylee one and a deadlock.  Sooner or later I'll fit a deadlock to the outer one too.  Hopefully this will take slightly fewer than four years.

Edit: also the only things worth nicking from the porch are the hedge trimmer and chainsaw.

« Reply #18120 on: 16 August, 2023, 11:40:14 pm »
And yes, I was able to get back in after taking the photo.  Only took four years.
To fit the door ::-) , or to get back in? :o :o :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18121 on: 17 August, 2023, 08:03:55 am »
Door from the porch into the actual house has two - a Yale-stylee one and a deadlock.  Sooner or later I'll fit a deadlock to the outer one too.  Hopefully this will take slightly fewer than four years.

Edit: also the only things worth nicking from the porch are the hedge trimmer and chainsaw.

One of ours is a deadlock. When I fitted it I had to bore a 4 cm hole through the door. Last time I thought about replacing it I found that similar locks were difference distances from the edge of the door, so that I'd have to plug the first hole and bore another - nasty job.  It's a hefty panelled oak door and it'd be very easy to make a pig's ear of it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18122 on: 17 August, 2023, 11:39:13 am »
The little window is pretty.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #18123 on: 17 August, 2023, 12:15:39 pm »
It's also nice and thick, unlike the old one in which one of the three glass elements got b0rked while I was on holiday and got boarded up for about seven years.  DIY projects at Larrington Towers move in a mysterious way, and also very slowly.

« Reply #18124 on: 17 August, 2023, 01:50:48 pm »
Replaced the screws holding the hinges to the front door frame as those installed up until just now were installed about 25 years ago by a ham-fisted dolt.  Does anyone make:

1: screws and
c) Pozidrive screwdriver bits

out of something other than cheese?

- Spax
- Wera

(I understand some may prefer Reisser and/or Wiha respectively, which I am sure would be valid alternatives. You may spot a Teutonic theme...)