Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2179519 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18275 on: 06 October, 2023, 06:35:36 am »
For Christmas last year got a trailer for the bicycle, as in one I tow on the bike not one to tow bikes attached to a car

I think it's pretty cheap chinesium and it rattled like marley and marleys chains in a Christmas Carol (I'm basing this on the muppets version)

Yesterday dismantled lots of it and put fabric tape round several parts and now it's if not silent certainly a lot less noisy

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18276 on: 06 October, 2023, 05:26:32 pm »
Did some cosmetic science this morning. For a while I've had a pot of Lush None of Your Beeswax lip balm that I use to stop my nostril edges getting sore when it's cold and my nose runs a lot. Unfortunately when left in my rack pack all year it's melted and cooled and gone all grainy.
A quick Google last night suggested it was due to different waxes and fats solidifying at different temperatures and that the way to remedy was melt it until liquid and then put it in the freezer.
So while I was baking bread this morning, for shits & giggles I left the wee pot of balm on the handle of the oven, whereupon it did indeed melt, and having shoved it in the freezer I can confirm that it looks like the day I bought it now.  :thumbsup:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #18277 on: 06 October, 2023, 06:00:28 pm »
New bottle cage fitted on the Hase Pino, stoker's handle...

I had already used a steerer extender in the stoker's left side handle, but previously (to prevent dehydration of the front engine), I clamped a clamp-on bottle cage to it. It looked ok but it never appealed to me as a great idea.

Yesterday in Halfords, the Stoker decided she would like a fancy looking Italian bottle cage, so today in a moment of inspiration, I drilled and tapped the steerer extender top, to accept a pair of 5mm screws an appropriate distance apart and mounted the Italian bottle cage to the steerer extender in the Stoker's handle.

A much nicer job than the clamp on one.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #18278 on: 07 October, 2023, 07:02:29 pm »
Sanded the kitchen door frame. I hate sanding.
Gave it an undercoat and a 1st top coat. Then we decided where we should go on holiday in March and in the last hour or so I've be researching refurbed Dysons.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18279 on: 07 October, 2023, 07:15:50 pm »
Finished the new kitchen/dining table made with laminated plywood for the top and legs - pleased with the result although the "grain" on the Stretek Poplar-faced plywood isn't as good as on the Birch plywood table it's replacing (Birch ply in suitable quality is unobtainable)

The top is an 18mm sheet 160 x 90cm with 100mm wide rails laminated around the edges to give a 36mm thick effect and the legs are 4 off 18mm pieces laminated tohether to give a 72 x 72mm x 75cm leg, the exposed ply faces on the legs face into the room.

« Reply #18280 on: 07 October, 2023, 07:42:24 pm »
Impressive. :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

robgul

« Reply #18281 on: 07 October, 2023, 08:11:53 pm »

Thank you - I'm thinking of making them to sell - as bespoke items.   

The RG "logo brand" is just a it of vanity - I put it on the items I make and sell using recycled pallet wood.

« Reply #18282 on: 07 October, 2023, 08:54:46 pm »
A few days ago I noticed that one of the vertical blind slats wasn't closing properly. Yesterday I saw that it had broken in two and that slat was no longer attached at the top. Today I had a closer look to see how its assembled and works. Anyway I thought, I will just do a quick bodge repair til I can get round some local shops. I've hung the slat back up with a paper clip bent over the rod that turns the slats. Very pleased that in operation it works very well so I don't need to rush to do a proper repair job.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18283 on: 08 October, 2023, 08:17:42 am »
Fixed a flat on HK’s orange trike during the Richard Ellis Memorial 200 yesterday. Hedgecutting season!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18284 on: 08 October, 2023, 01:54:49 pm »

The RG "logo brand" is just a it of vanity - I put it on the items I make and sell using recycled pallet wood.

Very nifty.  What kind of feet did you put on it?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18285 on: 08 October, 2023, 03:39:29 pm »
Swapped the summer rear tyres on HK’s orange trike to Marathon Racers. Binned one of the removed tyres. Swapped front wheels between my fixed and orange trike to diagnose a grabbing brake issue. Replaced the cracking front tyre on my fixed with something from the garage stock. Readjusted the front brakes on my fixed and the orange trike.

Repaired the orange trike’s mudguard. Flintmined my fixed’s rear tyre. Swapped a bidon cage from HK’s recumbent to my fixed as the old cage on the seat tube rubbed my calf. Glued the pivot pins on the orange trike’s brake levers to stop them walking sideways.

Fitted a front mudguard and QR Bagman to my trike, adjusted the rim brake and aerobars and tightened some bolts on the GB saddle.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18286 on: 08 October, 2023, 03:45:07 pm »
Retensioned the leather and lacing of the eBrute's saddle - it had started to rub recently.

« Reply #18287 on: 08 October, 2023, 04:01:05 pm »
Following the renewal of my TalkTalk fibre broadband deal, I was sent an eero router to plumb in. That went reasonably well, but then I had to configure all my connected devices. It's surprising how many things are hooked up, even in a fairly basic set up like mine. The two Alexas played ball, but the CCTV cameras needed reinstalling. eero, for the uninitiated, is an Amazon service, so unavoidable, sadly.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #18288 on: 08 October, 2023, 04:30:29 pm »
Did the last coat of paint on the kitchen door frame (yes, that still leaves the rest of the kitchen wood work to do but sod that) and then put the front mudguard back on the Roberts.
While I was in the garage I tidied up some of the holiday beer purchases onto the racking. I decided the wine could wait for another day.
Once the cats had decided to wake up enough for dinner (lest I disturb their royal highnesses) I took the old sisal off one of the scratching posts and stapled some new on. It's only been sitting on the table in the hall for months waiting for me to do it....

And that's all my projects mostly done for now. What am I going to do with myself til next spring?

« Reply #18289 on: 08 October, 2023, 04:49:33 pm »
Drink beer and wine? 🙂
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

robgul

« Reply #18290 on: 08 October, 2023, 05:13:19 pm »

I drilled and bashed these into the base of each leg

- and then fitted these:

They are set at the lowest point just to get the ends of the plywood legs off the ground by about 10 or 12mm to stop any water ingress when the floor is mopped, or any spillage - and they also serve to level the table . . . .  although with two spirit levels at right angles to each other it was spot on level :thumbsup:

« Reply #18291 on: 08 October, 2023, 08:03:31 pm »
Blessed with good weather for spraying outside (no wind and moderately high temperatures) in the South East, I stripped down my British Steel bike ready for a coat of clear lacquer, for sealing the lug lining and lettering / R531 stickers. The spraying went well and then we went out to Southchurch park for a few hours, with the kids / grandkids.

When I got back, I started fitting some virtually new running gear off my aluminium Scott Speedster S40 road bike (2x9 Sora) and the Scribe Pace wheels. The Scott is getting an upgrade too, I couldn't resist the 2x11 105 groupset with Ultegra brifters, currently for £420 at Wiggle. I am awaiting a new set of Scribe Pace wheels, for the Scott.

I need another steerer for the steel bike (the thing on it currently is an eye sore), and acquiring that is the next step.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #18292 on: 08 October, 2023, 10:18:02 pm »
Proper roof on the bike shed. 

When I built it late last summer I decided the felt shingles that came free were, excuse the use of advanced technical terms here, shite.  So I threw two layers of DPM over to hold it and ordered a kit from Rubber4Roofs.  Weather intervened the rest of 2022 & I've suffered an extreme shortage of spoons in 2023 due to reasons.  But with this looking like the last decent weekend of the year I was cajoled into a state of spoon-ness and also assisted by persons to whom I am very grateful indeed.

And now my rather lovely bike shed has the rather lovely roof it deserves.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #18293 on: 09 October, 2023, 12:14:22 am »
Photos or it didn't happen!  :demon:

Well done. Sounds like a job well done.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18294 on: 09 October, 2023, 09:34:32 am »

I drilled and bashed these into the base of each leg

- and then fitted these:

They are set at the lowest point just to get the ends of the plywood legs off the ground by about 10 or 12mm to stop any water ingress when the floor is mopped, or any spillage - and they also serve to level the table . . . .  although with two spirit levels at right angles to each other it was spot on level :thumbsup:

T-nuts are great.  Maybe that's why I can never find any when I need them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18295 on: 09 October, 2023, 02:38:12 pm »
Fettled a small chinesium audio mixer to  a) not have a retina-searing BLUE power LED  and  b) have a switch to downmix the output to mono.  Barakta's chaotic assortment of audio sources, for the manglement of.

Afasoas

« Reply #18296 on: 09 October, 2023, 04:06:22 pm »
There's some great fettling going on in this thread!
Keep up the good work!

robgul

« Reply #18297 on: 09 October, 2023, 05:05:21 pm »
There's some great fettling going on in this thread!
Keep up the good work!

. . .  I'm making a mallet (woodwork for the use of) from some different species of hardwood timber offcuts.  Watch this space.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #18298 on: 10 October, 2023, 04:19:17 pm »
Photos or it didn't happen!  :demon:

Well done. Sounds like a job well done.
Thanks, I'm pleased with it.  I'll get a photo when I've got a large pile of tqt out the way.

Today's fettling was changing the gas lift strut in my old/spare office chair, it's had that sinking feeling a good number of years.  Despite this and it being many decades old it's still comfortable and in excellent condition so I just couldn't throw it out when I bought a replacement.  State of spoon-ness to sort it out is courtesy of my cat who after several years of liking to sleep on the old/spare has recently decided the replacement is just the place to be for him.  Go get a tea - cat in the chair.  Pick up cat & return to spare chair.  Stand to reach a file down from a high shelf - nearly sit on cat. Etc etc.

Anyway, sorted.  Now I can just swap them around as required.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #18299 on: 10 October, 2023, 11:00:02 pm »
Took the electric mid drive motor , battery and wiring . Off my newly acquired ,  ATB with trike conversion axel and fitted the gubbins  to my mums shopping bike . Mums as happy as a sandboy , already planning trips away . I have a Trykit conversion axel with seventy kms on it and a boat load of new shinny bits . Happy days . 
Its More Fun With Three .