Author Topic: AAA points why bother  (Read 4059 times)

Re: AAA points why bother
« Reply #25 on: 18 February, 2021, 05:54:40 pm »
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #26 on: 19 February, 2021, 09:54:27 am »
Thats exactly what i may be doing soon. All the ones who decide to take the line of least resistance to avoid parts of the route. What's the future for them, is it going to be electric. Audax has changed needs to return to basics. I thought Audax would have a standard set of rules worldwide, is Audax uk different?

author=grams link=topic=118436.msg2595234#msg2595234 date=1613650711]
The rules of audax (in this country) are you can follow whatever route you like between controls. If you’re unhappy with that you can file a motion at the AGM.

« Reply #27 on: 19 February, 2021, 10:24:49 am »
On a lighter note, a few years back, for a few years when I rode the " The Red Rose" ride from Halifax, when I got to the finish, I would be moaning about how hard the hill is at some point, about 15% to 20% with about 3 tight hairpins. After about the second or third year, the organiser said, "You should not be going that way". Sure enough, the next year, I still went up it and could not really work out why as I was following the route on the Garmin.

Eventually I worked out why, my Garmin was set to avoid "A" roads and at a certain point, it recalculated my route to avoid an "A" road, but in doing so, took me up the hill and then I rejoined the route again on the "A" road as there cannot have been an alternative for the Garmin to calculate.

Anyway, I resolved the issue by using GPX files for all Audax rides, the type that a Garmin will not recalculate and taking more notice of the route card.

The morale of the story is, perhaps the odd rider sometimes varies off route because they have had a similar issue and not known themselves they are taking a deviation.

« Reply #28 on: 19 February, 2021, 10:28:20 am »
A roads are for cars, back roads are for cyclists. You should have told the organiser that🤭

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #29 on: 19 February, 2021, 10:31:40 am »
Bonus hills. Got to love them.

I remember on one ride slogging away up a brute of a climb, only to look back over my shoulder when I got to the top to see other riders taking the left turn at the bottom of the hill...  :facepalm:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #30 on: 19 February, 2021, 02:27:46 pm »
Thats exactly what i may be doing soon. All the ones who decide to take the line of least resistance to avoid parts of the route. What's the future for them, is it going to be electric.

Voluntarily doing a chuffing long bike ride is not the line of least resistance.

Yes I'm sure you're ten times more nails than them, but it's worth zero in audax land.

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #31 on: 19 February, 2021, 07:00:18 pm »
I don't like the tone nor title of this thread;

You can't make a calendar AAA ride mandatory route without marshals on every hill. AAA rides are usually crafted to take in the best route between controls which usually involves climbing. If riders want to cheat by avoiding the hill then put an info at the top simples.

Perhaps you should change the title to "AAA points on the Snow Roads 300 why bother?"  or vent your frustration another way? :)

« Reply #32 on: 19 February, 2021, 10:00:22 pm »

I don't like the tone nor title of this thread;

+1
I fear this is going down the way of being non-excellent in a non-YACF kind of way
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #33 on: 19 February, 2021, 10:24:43 pm »
Or change title to “AAA in the Fens is it possible?”

« Reply #34 on: 19 February, 2021, 11:49:16 pm »
The Snow roads, have you cycled it?  It's one Audax where you need to cycle the route. God help anyone trying to miss a big climb out probably add another 100+ kms to the route😅.

« Reply #35 on: 19 February, 2021, 11:59:12 pm »
I knew the controller, i just though no way would they drive over a singletrack hill road to check.  Annoying that some people don't check nearby sections of the route if they run a control.
Oh so because you knew the controller everyone else should have also just known whether to follow their advice or not?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1