Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 410860 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #2950 on: 03 May, 2023, 05:54:21 pm »
O hai FWSE!

If I enter "Scone of stone" complete with quotes into your poxy webby SCIENCE I do not wish to be inundated with results for some lump of Scottish rock that's being hauled down to That London for some twerp's new hat fitting >:(

kthxbai!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2951 on: 08 May, 2023, 02:30:55 pm »
USB-C, WTF?

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, as until recently the only thing I had with a USB-C port on it was a smartphone, and when you've only got one device with a USB-C connector, you can blissfully convince yourself that they've helpfully solved the most frustrating aspect of USB (ie. that the connector is only the right way up on the third attempt) without making things worse.

But no, they have in fact made things worse.

Now we have a situation where things all use the same connector, which means that previously straightforward stuff like working out who's the host and who's the device (or power source and sink, if it's just charging) are in the hands of software.

Which leads to lots of fun edge cases were a device like a laptop or battery pack might reasonably change roles, and the behaviour is so unclear that people start believing in cargo-cult solutions like turning the connector over or reversing the cable make the difference (apparently some of the time, it's a case of unplugging and re-plugging within some timeout, so you can see how this happens).

Cycleman fell foul of this at the weekend, with a Shiny! New! 30Ah battery pack which was helpfully charging itself from his phone.  (Problem solved with an A-C cable, but possibly there might be some invocation to reverse the power flow).  Clear as mud.

Barakta and I just spent a quality 5 minutes connecting our phones together with a C-to-C cable to see what happens.  It appears to be random.

I've also banged my head against this after buying a panel-mount A-female to C-female adaptor, with the intention of using this in a piece of homebrew hardware based on an Arduino Micro acting as a USB HID.  For reasons unclear, when connected to the Official BHPC Jam-Filled Babbage-Engine's USB-C port using a C-to-C cable, nothing happens.  This is particularly bemusing, as one of the laptop's main failings is the use of a fiddly little DC jack for charging; the USB-C port can AIUI only operate as a host, so why wouldn't it provide power?  No doubt there's some USB-C reason...  (I gave up and used a panel mount A-female to B-female adaptor, which is a more robust solution anyway, even if it does tie up another A port on the laptop.)

« Reply #2952 on: 08 May, 2023, 05:39:31 pm »
I paid for a genuine Windows 11 DVD but apparently my PC doesn't have TPM 2.0 and it can't be enabled, so it's useless.  It is well above minimum specifications otherwise.  It would cost about £500 to buy something of very similar spec with TPM.

Use Rufus to create a bootable USB with the various hardware requirements like TPM 2.0 removed:
https://rufus.ie/en/

I'd ignore your DVD and download the ISO directly from MS. The current version of Rufus has an ISO download tool built into it, I think. So you don't need to go search for it.

The only thing you should need from your purchased DVD is the product key.

(I've not done this myself, so YMMV..  My machines don't even have TPM 1, and I don't know if the Rufus bypass method requires a fall-back from 2.0 to at least 1, or if it will work with no TPM at all.)
I researched that workaround and the risk is that MS won't release security patches for non-TPM machines.  Essentially it's at their whim whether they fully support "broken" versions.
I have a Mini PC that has it officially unsupported, no TPM, but has been running Windows 11 since not long after it’s release in October 2021. It is still receiving updates.

The general consensus is that Microsoft have put out the disclaimer just in case there is ever any technical reason it becomes impossible to update unsupported devices but they will refrain from doing so, if at all possible, to stave off the risk of being accused of generating unnecessary e-waste.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2953 on: 10 May, 2023, 01:14:33 am »
Why are USB devices under windows always such a shitshow?  Is it really too much to expect it to enumerate cameras in a consistent order?  Linux doesn't seem to have a problem with it, and I dare say the Mac can manage it too.  But this is the OS were it's SOP for your Mum to five different instances of her printer configured, one for each USB port...

Exacerbating this, OpenCV doesn't seem to have any way to access something that might serve as a way to uniquely identify the cameras, so you can forget about hacking around it.  I know, it's not their fault that Windows is making things difficult, but it can't be that uncommon for people to want to run an application on a machine with some sort of built-in camera in addition to whatever device they actually want to use.

Disabling the internal camera in Device Manager is the nuclear option, but even that doesn't have the desired effect.  Some mysterious device that always returns a blank frame is now getting enumerated...

Fuckit, I'm going to bed.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2954 on: 10 May, 2023, 01:33:31 am »
It ent just USB.  I have 1 (one) printer, attached to TowersNet by a cable.  I install the printer drivers on each of the Windows boxen.  Now I have, according to the whims of Microsith, anywhere between one and three Brother laser printers visible.  I remove the surplus ones.  For a while all is hunky and, moreover, dory but Windows always manages to sneak the odd one back in while I'm not paying attention.  Likewise for squeakers.  Even when everything is disabled except the optical output on the sound card something will always reënable them just 4 teh LULZ.

Bah!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2955 on: 10 May, 2023, 01:36:03 am »
It's the sort of bollocks that makes you really appreciate(!) udev.  Windows will never be ready for the desktop at this rate.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2956 on: 11 May, 2023, 09:13:43 pm »
I paid for a genuine Windows 11 DVD but apparently my PC doesn't have TPM 2.0 and it can't be enabled, so it's useless.  It is well above minimum specifications otherwise.  It would cost about £500 to buy something of very similar spec with TPM.

Use Rufus to create a bootable USB with the various hardware requirements like TPM 2.0 removed:
https://rufus.ie/en/

I'd ignore your DVD and download the ISO directly from MS. The current version of Rufus has an ISO download tool built into it, I think. So you don't need to go search for it.

The only thing you should need from your purchased DVD is the product key.

(I've not done this myself, so YMMV..  My machines don't even have TPM 1, and I don't know if the Rufus bypass method requires a fall-back from 2.0 to at least 1, or if it will work with no TPM at all.)

So I have just done this myself.
I've installed Win 11 on my elderly Gigabyte EX85-UD5 i7 machine, which has no hint of any kind of TPM.

I did a clean install on a new SSD, to let me roll back to my old win10 install with a simple disk swap.
All went 99% swimmingly.
I'd selected all the options in Rufus to disable all the OOBE crap, and it worked.
It did try to go online and create an MS account, but I'd pulled the network cable, but it did reluctantly let me proceed with a 'limited install', ie a local account not tied to an MS account.

Only issue was the in-box LAN driver for the "Realtec PCIe GbE Family Ethernet controller", which blue-screened when I plugged the network cable in post-install.
An external download of a more current Realtec driver sorted that out.

It auto-activated based on my existing Digital License, ie the MS activation servers recognised the hardware ID and associated Win10 license, and let it pass.
(The Win10 license was automatically authorised, based on a dodgy Win7 install upgrade, but it slipped through the net and got laundered as a good license... )

No further issues, and I have Win 11 running on my legacy hardware.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2957 on: 11 May, 2023, 10:58:46 pm »
Only issue was the in-box LAN driver for the "Realtec PCIe GbE Family Ethernet controller", which blue-screened when I plugged the network cable in post-install.
An external download of a more current Realtec driver sorted that out.

https://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~kovar/realtek.html  is as relevant today as it was in 1998.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2958 on: 11 May, 2023, 11:02:22 pm »
Exacerbating this, OpenCV doesn't seem to have any way to access something that might serve as a way to uniquely identify the cameras, so you can forget about hacking around it.

Reader, I hacked around it:  Instead of politely waiting for the right camera to become functional again, I let it play reconnection roulette and pop up an obnoxious dialog box whenever *any* camera disappears to warn the user that making sure the image is still coming from the right one is their problem.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2959 on: 12 May, 2023, 01:07:31 am »
Oi!  SCS Software!  You snuck in a parked trailer using the same internal name as one in my mod, thereby making it Not Work.  I see you, SCS Software!  I fucking see you >:(

« Reply #2960 on: 12 May, 2023, 06:53:31 pm »
NS&I, you'd like a nice, strong password, eh? 8 to 20 characters? That's good. An uppercase, lower case and number needed? Fine Nice if I could add a non-alphanumeric too? Only too pleased.

But, what do you say, this password does not comply? Well, let's see - did I go over 20 characters? Nope, 18. Uppercase? Check. Lowercase? Check. Number? Check. I've even got non-alpha. Still non-compliant, eh? Well, what happens if I take out, maybe the hyphen? Oh look, it works.

Sometimes you wonder how people end up in jobs they can't do.

Feanor

« Reply #2961 on: 12 May, 2023, 07:02:30 pm »
The good Rev RAK has often complained about web forms not accepting one of his e-mail addresses which is of the form: <single letter>@e.gg

"That's not a valid e-mail address!" it says.
Only it is.

Some webdev monkey has decided to make their own definition of what an e-mail address should look like, rather than looking up the actual RFCs which give the chapter and verse.
"Its gorra end with .com, innit?"

« Reply #2962 on: 02 June, 2023, 08:59:07 pm »
I’ve got a domain for some work stuff. The email used to just get forwarded to a different personal account. As far as I remember by 123reg, rather than anything fancy.
I got just such an email yesterday.
Today, it bounces.
I’ve not touched it!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2963 on: 03 June, 2023, 07:43:00 pm »
Quote from: perpetual dan
I’ve got a domain for some work stuff. The email used to just get forwarded to a different personal account. As far as I remember by 123reg, rather than anything fancy.
I got just such an email yesterday.
Today, it bounces.
I’ve not touched it!
Yeah, I've got something similar and getting a lot of bounces because lots of ISPs because of "dmarc".  Probably security related to stop spoofing and similar, but ICBA to look it up.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Feanor

« Reply #2964 on: 03 June, 2023, 08:43:55 pm »
Yep. e-mail has become more complicated over the years, because of spam.

If you are purchasing from an e-mail host ( or using a free one like gmail ) then they will deal with all of that for you.

If you have a complicated web of forwarding from one domain name to another, then expect it to be difficult. You have multiple providers and you need to understand exactly how an external recipient 'sees' your e-mail. Some providers will be more helpful than others in providing the necessary DNS incantations to be able to send via them.

I host my own e-mail, and it's been hard enough even when I have direct control over all aspects of the mail server.

« Reply #2965 on: 04 June, 2023, 08:50:38 am »
I've added a fresh forwarder and it's working again. 123 were doing some systems migration that seemed to be more about mailboxes, but maybe it got broken in that. Anyhow, now I won't miss emails from the tax man. Hurrah.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2966 on: 08 June, 2023, 01:40:10 am »
Not thanks and bolshy great yarblockoes to the people behind notepad++, whose recent update b0rked half my saved macros.  The bastards.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2967 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:30:29 am »
I'm filling in some form or other on an app on my phone. I need to enter a date.  A date from ages ago.  Hit the box and a useful (FSVO useful) calendar pops up, showing today's date. There is no option to type a date in, only to scroll back, a month at a time by stabbing at the screen. FFS
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rr

« Reply #2968 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:56:56 am »
I'm filling in some form or other on an app on my phone. I need to enter a date.  A date from ages ago.  Hit the box and a useful (FSVO useful) calendar pops up, showing today's date. There is no option to type a date in, only to scroll back, a month at a time by stabbing at the screen. FFS
Particularly upsetting when the form is aimed at older people, the field is date of birth and the default is the current day.
On some systems there is a hidden option of pressing the date and choosing year and month.

« Reply #2969 on: 09 June, 2023, 11:56:03 am »
It doesn't have to be aimed at us, any form with a DOB requirement is a pain!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2970 on: 09 June, 2023, 01:34:32 pm »

Barakta informs me that a significant number of her students can cope with entering exactly 1 (one) date per form, which will be entered in all date-requiring fields, regardless of whether it's asking for their DOB, the date they're filling in the form, or something obtuse like when their course starts.

This is before you worry about Computers or indeed Americans.

« Reply #2971 on: 09 June, 2023, 07:22:52 pm »

Plus most organisations do not require your DOB.

« Reply #2972 on: 10 June, 2023, 07:47:13 pm »

Very few get my actual date of birth.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2973 on: 11 June, 2023, 12:45:55 am »

Very few get my actual date of birth.

Same here.

I get a lot of birthday congratulations on New Years Day. Wrong age too. 😹
It is simpler than it looks.

Feanor

« Reply #2974 on: 11 June, 2023, 09:20:26 am »
I'm installing the new starlink stuff in it's final location, and that involves drilling a hole in the brickwork to pass the dish<->router cable into the house.

Thing is, the propreitary starlink connectors either end of this cable are massive bulky things which require a hole of almost one inch to pass through.
That might be fine in an USAsian house built mostly of cardboard where you can make such a hole using blunt kitchen utensils, but in a building with double-skin brickwork it's a different matter.
That diameter is beyond anything I have for my SDS, and bigger than I want to drill anyway.

A bit of research shows that the special cable is nothing other than an exterior-grade cat5e shielded twisted pair, and can be cut and spliced using normal network parts and tools, it's just an oddball connector on each end. Wishing to preserve the shield continuity, I go online and find suitable shielded RJ45 plugs and an in-line coupler which will also preserve the continuity. I also needed to get the matching crimp tool.  These were VCELiNK brand, because they were available on Amazon for next day delivery.  And so I boldly cut the cable.

Never, ever buy these products.

1) They are impossible to make up onto the cable. So you peel back the outer insulation on the cable, exposing the 4 twisted pairs. You then un-twist them, and tease them as straight as you can to remove the wrigglyness in them, then arrange them into the correct order, pinching them in the correct order between thumb and finger. On a regular RJ45, the holes for the wires are at the rear of the plug, and it's easy to pinch the fan of wires into a nice flat straight parallel side-by-side arrangement, with perhaps 3mm of wire ends to poke into the holes of the plug. This is easy. These horrible plugs have the holes deep inside the plug body, perhaps a cm or more, requiring you to pinch the wires about 2cm back from the ends. The wires are too wriggly to remain straight, parallel and in the correct order for that length.  It took me close to an hour to get the wires to insert into the holes correctly, without crossing over, bending back, missing a hole in the sequence, putting 2 wires into one hole etc etc.

Starlink cable splice by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

2) After winning that battle, I hooked it up and turned it on. Download speed test showing 80-90 Mbps, instead of previous 250ish.  Log into the diagnostic screen, and the link between the dish and router has degraded from Gigabit to 100Meg. That's consistent with the 80-90Mbit speedtest: You can't shove 250Mbit down a 100Mbit pipe.  After eliminating other things, I decide it must be a bad splice.  I chop out the splice totally, leaving a short tail of wire each end for later forensics.  I grab a straight cat5e IDC jointing box, and punch down both ends of the cable using a normal Krone tool. Bingo: Gigabit link, and 250Mbit speed test.

Starlink cable splice by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Forensics: Buzzing out the splice from the wire stubs, I find 3 cores totally open-circuit. One of the blue pair, and both of the brown. I'd crimped these firmly and repeatedly using the manufacturer's own tool, and they had just failed. I've never experienced such BS with a simple network cable ever before.