Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 405976 times)

Chris S

Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #2050 on: 27 May, 2020, 07:04:06 pm »
I cannot believe it's taken until the twilight of my... ahem... "career" to discover the absolute fucking ballache that is - multiple merge conflicts in an html file, with massively nested elements. Holy fucking Christ - how... HOW do you make sense of this?

So this <div> here that's indented                                                                                                                                                              here -> </div>

Is that from branchA or HEAD, hmm? Who the fuck can tell? I'll tell you who. FUCKING NOBODY.

Visual Studio is, surprise surprise, no help at all. It actually tries to make HTML sense of <<<<<<<<< and ======== and vomits copiously into the output panel, all manner of spurious errors.

I'm gonna have to manually merge these, and it's going to hurt. Nurse. NURSE!

ian

« Reply #2051 on: 29 May, 2020, 09:19:15 am »
Jeez, spent three hours of yesterday evening trying to fix my father's laptop remotely. He's somehow changed his PIN. Or someone else changed it for him. I think he may have got some helpful advice from Microsoft's Delhi office.

Well, there's always a password. Do you have a password? He has pieces of paper with words written on them. They might be passwords. But they''re not working passwords. Also, he only writes in CAPITALS. Hours of shouting out 'b for bingo' and 'no, no t for tango.' Juliet Fucking Bravo.

And Windows, I don't know how it works any more, but it's like the OS the Homer Built, shit is everywhere. Settings here, settings there, the setting you want is nowhere. What is that UX called? Confusion. Focus leaps between windows like it's on meth. You're slavish clicking through dialogue boxes, no idea what they trying to explain, or what you are agreeing to, you just want it to stop.

On his last computer, I had myself as admin and sensible things like that so worst case I could disinfect it of what is quite probably all the malware on the internet. This one was set up by PC World and my sister's boyfriend.

Anyway, I had to give up to do 'more research' which mostly involved a big G&T. You'd think a forgotten password wouldn't be an edge use case.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2052 on: 29 May, 2020, 11:34:22 am »
The best place for parents' passwords to be stored is in a text file on your computer...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2053 on: 29 May, 2020, 12:01:06 pm »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) no longer uses his PC.  This is a Good Thing.  Not-Microsith's Bangamalware Department managed to infest his laptop (which meant spending Christmas doing a fresh install of everything) and his desktop (which got bricked halfway through Not-Microsith's procedure and wasn't worth saving anyway).  It is also a Good Thing that the Internets were still in their infancy when he retired from his post-Army position with a certain department of the Home Office.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2054 on: 29 May, 2020, 12:07:06 pm »
I cannot believe it's taken until the twilight of my... ahem... "career" to discover the absolute fucking ballache that is - multiple merge conflicts in an html file, with massively nested elements. Holy fucking Christ - how... HOW do you make sense of this?

So this <div> here that's indented                                                                                                                                                              here -> </div>

Is that from branchA or HEAD, hmm? Who the fuck can tell? I'll tell you who. FUCKING NOBODY.

Visual Studio is, surprise surprise, no help at all. It actually tries to make HTML sense of <<<<<<<<< and ======== and vomits copiously into the output panel, all manner of spurious errors.

Various text editors can help with this. Atom is a horrible Java cludge bit of software but does have a very nice conflict resolution interface.

Also, "Ha Ha Ha" welcome to my world.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #2055 on: 29 May, 2020, 12:17:08 pm »
The best place for parents' passwords to be stored is in a text file on your computer...

I actually did write his password down (after setting him with something that he could remember). But then they bought a new laptop and it seems it was set up with a PIN. Actually, he's not changed it, the issue seems to be some kind of passive-aggressive 'we're sorry, your PIN isn't available right now.' (And what the actual fuck does that mean?)

It's hard to tell what's happening as I'm hundreds of miles away and their descriptions of what is on the screen are not especially useful so I end up trying to decipher blurry photos. Jesus, get a phone with Facetime or something. I managed to get in with my mother's account but of course, set up a Teamviewer session but of course she's not an admin so I can't do shit. I was just going to set up a new account for him. Generally, nuke it from orbit solutions are preferred.

It's probably cheaper at this point to buy them a couple of tablets and have the laptop dropped into a deep oceanic trench.

Chris S

« Reply #2056 on: 29 May, 2020, 05:31:43 pm »

Various text editors can help with this. Atom is a horrible Java cludge bit of software but does have a very nice conflict resolution interface.

A dual monitor setup helps. In the end I had both branches open in VS on the RH monitor, and the merge on the left and painstakingly merged by hand. It was only half a dozen files - but auto-merging was just a non-starter - it mangled them to all hell. Manual merging is soooo error-prone.

Powers that be: "When will your new build be ready, Chris?"
Me: "At least two days later than I originally said - I need to run every regression test known to man or beast"

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2057 on: 29 May, 2020, 06:17:01 pm »
"$GAME_MOD is completely ready for $GAME version n.nn!!1!"

O RLY?  Then what the actual fuck are these errors caused by:
  • your inclusion of no-longer-used wossnames, and
  • your utter failure to convert everything to the new method of doing sound, and
  • your equally abject lack of updated models WHICH THE GAME CONVERTS FOR YOU
???

Do you not check the log file, or do you just not care?  Idiots.

« Reply #2058 on: 01 June, 2020, 04:11:25 pm »

A dual monitor setup helps. In the end I had both branches open in VS on the RH monitor, and the merge on the left and painstakingly merged by hand. It was only half a dozen files - but auto-merging was just a non-starter - it mangled them to all hell. Manual merging is soooo error-prone.

Me: "At least two days later than I originally said - I need to run every regression test known to man or beast"

I'm usually merging by hand.
Doesn't help that most of the department rebases patches from branches, rather than merging. Git history all shot to hell.

Our 'codebase is on the order of thousands of files, with about 30 people making changes.

We live and die by CI and manual inspection of nightly builds (the output is data in xml).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2059 on: 01 June, 2020, 07:43:11 pm »
We're just moving to git/github from Cl**rC*s*.

We do squash commits to keep the git log relatively clear.

5 developers (although corporate model means literally hundreds of thousands with potential access) and 17,000 files.

It's got the capacity to get messy given our nightly build and autotests run off a specific branch, but I think we should cope with the "new normal" (trying to overuse this phrase as much as possible).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2060 on: 01 June, 2020, 09:50:07 pm »

Ach at least it told you.
The other week someone's work was wiped out by a silent regression merge, only spotted it the other day, I must have had a space on that line or something, except... it doesn't show up on the commit...
We are however using Subversion and Coldfusion CFML...

After that I promptly made up excuses for diving back into the DB, like the data model and queries are shit... I wasn't particularly lying, or making it up.

Which leads onto tonights bit of stupidity... I set up a script to create a shit load* of records in the Dockerized Oracle 19 container for the above mentioned data model so I can piss around with the shit queries and improve them and try different indexing strategies...  Laptop battery ran out before it finished  :facepalm:

* It was only 1m I asked it for, I suspect my PL/SQL isn't particularly efficient but one boss says everything is urgent and needed yesterday, including the fucking signed off spec which we were meant to get 4 Fridays ago... We're still working to the scratched out one from a meeting with the "business" (read that as being the consultant who's done the political work to get this bit of work done)
The other 3 bosses (line manager, test manager and service manager) are all pretty relaxed about it though.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2061 on: 07 June, 2020, 11:05:09 am »
Apologies in advance for the poor quality of this 'rant', I just CBA.

My Devolo dLan 500 home end adapter had died.  Bollocks.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2062 on: 07 June, 2020, 12:11:44 pm »

Doesn't help that most of the department rebases patches from branches, rather than merging. Git history all shot to hell.

Our 'codebase is on the order of thousands of files, with about 30 people making changes.

We live and die by CI and manual inspection of nightly builds (the output is data in xml).

It's called git for a reason  :)

We have 50 developers on a single repo (on account of moving the codebase from perforce) of 35,000 files. Manually merging is extremely rare. But we insist everything has to be merged into master, including patches (which are then cherry-picked to the release candidate). Master is locked, nothing gets into it without peer review, which encourages short-lived branches. CI builds run the order of 105 tests a day, none of which require manual inspection of output.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #2063 on: 07 June, 2020, 03:04:41 pm »

It's called git for a reason  :)

We have 50 developers on a single repo (on account of moving the codebase from perforce) of 35,000 files. Manually merging is extremely rare. But we insist everything has to be merged into master, including patches (which are then cherry-picked to the release candidate). Master is locked, nothing gets into it without peer review, which encourages short-lived branches. CI builds run the order of 105 tests a day, none of which require manual inspection of output.

That sounds well controlled.

The situation here is not helped by the *number* of repositories; <counts on fingers> Eight.

Eight repos. A chuntering mass of submodules and perl scripts pulling data between them.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2064 on: 07 June, 2020, 06:51:43 pm »
A chuntering mass of submodules and perl scripts pulling data between them.

The more information you give, MrC, the scarier it sounds  :o
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #2065 on: 12 June, 2020, 10:31:15 am »
Thats annoying, my Ubuntu Box and my tablet have stopped talking to each other over USB, I went to put a couple of music folders on my Lenovo E10 and Ubuntu could see it but wouldn't let me access it, I tried my phone and Ubuntu isn't talking to that either, it shows them as CD Roms. Ubuntu see's the USB stick I use in the car and my external drive as normal. I think I've got a job for later. :(

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2066 on: 12 June, 2020, 10:48:51 am »
If both
Code: [Select]
foo: "bar"
and
foo: "/bar/xyzzy"
are – under different circumstances – legitimate statements, how the blue blazes do you find
foo: "bar/xyzzy"
in one (or more) of about seventy thousand small ASCII files when the error message that triggered the need to look in the first place DOESN'T FUCKING TELL YOU WHAT IT WAS TRYING TO DO WHEN IT HAPPENED >:(

NB: the space after the colon is not mandatory, just to complicate matters further

ETA: and said space can also be a <TAB>, or a combination of spaces and tabs.  Aaaaaargh.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2067 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:03:03 am »
And another thing.  What kind of an imbecile cow indents a line with "<SPACE><SPACE><SPACE><SPACE><TAB>"?

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #2068 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:08:36 am »
And another thing.  What kind of an imbecile cow indents a line with "<SPACE><SPACE><SPACE><SPACE><TAB>"?
One who has taken your carefully untabified source code and edited it in Micro$oft fucking Visual Studio.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2069 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:10:24 am »
We don't need no steenking Microshitf fucking Visual Studio, I know people who are paid more than me to do that in Wrod.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2070 on: 13 June, 2020, 12:14:22 am »

Some sort of shrubbery gambling?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2071 on: 13 June, 2020, 08:48:21 am »
One who has taken your carefully untabified source code and edited it in Micro$oft fucking Visual Studio.
VS has many and many a fault but ballsed up indenting isn't one of them.  That's entirely down to the chump at the controls who has done something stupid with her or his personal settings.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #2072 on: 13 June, 2020, 11:32:21 am »

I work in an organisation the seems to have a surfeit of them. Do not even mention dependencies otherwise I will be off on a major sweary rant...
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #2073 on: 13 June, 2020, 06:32:10 pm »
VS has many and many a fault but ballsed up indenting isn't one of them.  That's entirely down to the chump at the controls who has done something stupid with her or his personal settings.

These particular files have nowt to do with Visual Anything, though, unless there are people out there in the habit of using it as a text editor.  Which wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, I failed to find the offending file after three hours of faffing with various Find'n'Replace tools, so either I did something wrong or it's actually one of the horrible-mashup-of-plain-text-and-hex ones, which is too depressing to contemplate.  Also it's intermittent  :-\

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2074 on: 14 June, 2020, 07:58:13 pm »
CDDB was bought and turned into Gracenote by scum-sucking capitalists* years ago, so FreeDB was set up instead.  Guess what's happened now?

Apparently MusicBrainz does the same thing (until they sell out too) but RipperX in Linux doesn't seem to understand it.  Any ideas?  I don't tend to rip stuff in Windows, because it frowns upon such activitiies.

*the hard work was all done free by the community, then the original developer reneged on his promise and sold it, Then the buyers reneged on their promise to keep it free.  May they felch goats in hell.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.