Author Topic: The Rural South  (Read 10110 times)

Re: The Rural South
« Reply #25 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:20:58 pm »
Another principle is jettisoned:  no longer can I call myself "Simon 'I don't do 300s' Spooner”.

Which just leaves me with 'Doesn't do dumps on Audaxes' and 'Hasn't DNFd on an Audax',  though at one point on Saturday I was semi-considering the latter.  A lovely day, a lovely route, new territory - thatched cottages, village cricket matches, village greens, duck ponds, lanes, pot-holes (ie not like the Welsh routes I’m used to) - but half-way through the Portsmouth/Selbourne leg I felt a wave of sleepiness come over me and felt my energy levels seep away.  A planned inter-control tea-shop break did the job though, and I was OK for the rest of the ride.  Not quite sure how a cheese salad, cup of tea and glass of orange juice can ward off sleepiness for 10 hours, though.

I hope you managed your 25 miles back your parents OK Damarell, on your mobile library, and well done on your first 300. 

My computer gave 3019m of ascent, but around 100 or so metres in the 22km ride to the start, and consistently registers around 25% less than gps readings.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #26 on: 09 June, 2008, 10:45:22 pm »
A bit of a deathmarch, especially the 40k home from the arrivee - I stopped in Bracknell and hogged all my remaining fig rolls, and then managed to crawl home.
I think that I offered you a lift in a CAR - but in true cyclist spirit you declined on the basis that you never took a car.  Pretty inspirational I thought, especially as the last thing I wanted to do was ride another 100meters.

I was the Lantern Rouge all the way round.  Started 20 minutes late with cousin Jacinta. At about half way we picked up Richard who was taking it easy.

We stayed together for the next couple of sections till the fairy visited Richard and a tempting train nabbed Jacinta.  Somehow Richard got back in front and I had 60 odd clicks to do alone in the dark at the back of the field. 

The first 20 of those night kilometer were great.  The pie and chips were starting to work and I had fresh legs.  Earlier I had absolutely loved the 'laney' nature of the ride.  But at night there were no street lights, signs of humanity or even the comforting extra degree of temperature that a small town offers. I was hurting.

Consequently, I struggled to remain inside the time limits at each control.  Without a headtorch I was forced to stop at each intersection and shine my front light on the route sheet.  This became quite laborious.  It was also impossible to see trip distance or speed on my computer, so every 2km leg seemed to take forever and my confidence in my navigation was ebbing.  Luckily I had full confidence in Peter's sheet.

The aarriivvee was extremely welcome.  I had to take a quick break in the car for a nap on the way home, but eventually found my deserved  welcome at home at 4:30am.  Sleep was a blessed relief from the turmoils of the day.

Thanks Peter and to Richard for his company.  Jacinta (who does not read these reports) was at her best all day.  Thanks for being there.

« Reply #27 on: 10 June, 2008, 02:53:19 am »
I think that I offered you a lift in a CAR - but in true cyclist spirit you declined on the basis that you never took a car.

Sorry if I was rather brusque; I was totally exhausted, in both the sleep and exertion senses.

But at night there were no street lights, signs of humanity or even the comforting extra degree of temperature that a small town offers. It was also impossible to see trip distance or speed on my computer, so every 2km leg seemed to take forever.

Although I had a headtorch, I had similar problems, as my RR will mention - especially the 7km and 11 km legs between instructions out of Basingstoke, which were mostly straight tree-lined roads - giving no real sense of progress in the dark.

« Reply #28 on: 10 June, 2008, 06:16:45 pm »
Ride report: here

It's long, but so was the ride. Edited to remove LJ's stupid Adult Content notice from yacf's helpful fetching of the page title.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #29 on: 10 June, 2008, 07:00:55 pm »
Simon Spooner had a truly impressive headlight

That was Mark Williams with the bright headlamp. Simon was about an hour ahead of us. The one who borrowed your gloves was Richard Wareham.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #30 on: 10 June, 2008, 07:04:24 pm »
Oh. Well, I was totally confused, then. Come to think of it, the person I thought was your brother at the Arrivee didn't look much like the person I thought was your brother on the road.

That audax lark fairly scrambles the brains.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #31 on: 10 June, 2008, 07:13:07 pm »
Or, in the words of Peter M when you appeared at the finish:

I've seen more life in something lying in the ditch

Considering which, to ride the extra xx km was well above and beyond the call of duty.

« Reply #32 on: 27 June, 2008, 07:14:20 pm »
Anyone seen their brevet card back yet? Yeah, I know, it always takes longer than you expect...

« Reply #33 on: 28 June, 2008, 07:28:51 pm »
Anyone seen their brevet card back yet? Yeah, I know, it always takes longer than you expect...

They're just about to go off for validation (I've been away since the ride).

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #34 on: 30 May, 2009, 02:17:17 pm »
Just thought would revive this thread only one week to go until my local 300.

Great ride with good commercial controls. I live in Reading so am use to the type of hills. I always find the climb out of Selbourne after the last stop the hardest. I have ridden this ride 4 times before and always had a good day out.

I will be there at the start. Anyone else?
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #35 on: 30 May, 2009, 02:42:43 pm »
If all goes to plan, I'll be there

« Reply #36 on: 30 May, 2009, 04:58:37 pm »
Hopefully I'll give this a go next year.  It sounds like a great ride.  For now going to do the shorter Emsworth and Back from the same base on the same day.  Wonder if we cross paths at all?

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #37 on: 30 May, 2009, 05:37:15 pm »
I've entered but it's doubtful I'll make it given various domestic bits going on, I'll know for sure fairly soon - if I don't make it my travelodge room'll be vacant.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #38 on: 30 May, 2009, 05:38:46 pm »
I'll be along. Hope you make it, Arabella.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #39 on: 30 May, 2009, 05:46:14 pm »
Entered but not riding. Nice ride though.  Fond memories of eating a gutbuster burger overlooking Portsmouth downs.

« Reply #40 on: 01 June, 2009, 10:22:58 am »
Just entered.  Riding a 200k the next day too, so will be taking it pretty easy.

Anyone know how many metres of climbing there are on this ride?

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #41 on: 01 June, 2009, 12:10:59 pm »
Can't make it this year, but have good memories - a great ride!

« Reply #42 on: 01 June, 2009, 12:37:36 pm »

Somewhere around 4000m I think. It's claimed as being just short of AAA points.
Only a few "notable" climbs though. It's the insidious rolling kind that creeps up on your legs. Well, my legs anyway...

Not doing it this year due to family commitments unfortunately :(

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #43 on: 01 June, 2009, 01:25:00 pm »
I definitely won't make it, I need to be in Ipswich early afternoon.
Shame, I was looking forward to doing this one again, still, best laid plans etc., hope y'all enjoy it.

Anyone wanting a travelodge room let me know, it may as well be used (it's a family one).

I'll make up a 100km/m locally and push round it as fast as I can instead, I'd like some km in my legs between the 600 last w/e and LEL, doesn't look like I've any options other than short local outings now on though, tee hee.  (Aka the disadvantage of having 0 family on the doorstep).

Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #44 on: 01 June, 2009, 02:15:10 pm »
Somewhere around 4000m I think. It's claimed as being just short of AAA points.
Only a few "notable" climbs though. It's the insidious rolling kind that creeps up on your legs. Well, my legs anyway...

It's an easy run to the South Coast, but coming over the Downs is a corker with the notable bits in. After that it's insidious rolling, again. I found the long slow straight tree-lined ascents near Basingstoke very discouraging in the dark, with no real sense of progress.

Alas, I'm not riding it this year.

« Reply #45 on: 01 June, 2009, 02:20:03 pm »
Coast?  Did you say coast??   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

red marley

« Reply #47 on: 01 June, 2009, 03:20:23 pm »

This may be a help (or perhaps not).

I'll be there (5th time for me I think). I'm not lending you my sock though.

« Reply #48 on: 01 June, 2009, 03:29:17 pm »
Perhaps you'd like a go faster stripe on your cap, then?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 01 June, 2009, 04:25:15 pm »
I'll make up a 100km/m locally and push round it as fast as I can instead, I'd like some km in my legs between the 600 last w/e and LEL, doesn't look like I've any options other than short local outings now on though, tee hee.
Short-n-fast will do you more good at this stage. You KNOW you've got the distance in you - the aim now is to get fast enough to get decent sleep on the ride.
(And I didn't even mention the T word ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles