Author Topic: Eating green pumpkin?  (Read 889 times)

Eating green pumpkin?
« on: 02 October, 2011, 05:08:59 pm »
Following a google, I think we had a pumpkin plant in the garden.

But initial 'on the spot' diagnosis was courgette...   So when I spotted a huge green ball just now asked Mrs Nutty what it was.  "Must be a marrow as we haven't picked the courgette", she said.  When she looked to see if it was ripe, 'it came off in her hands'....

Definitely not a marrow, as it's a green ball 7 inches in diameter, hairy, and a mottled green colour as opposed to stripy white and green.

Google images show the plant and fruit as pumpkin plants.  (The internet which cannot lie, also states that pumpkins are ripe by the end of august).

So, considering we now have this on the kitchen windowsill.  Can it be eaten?  What recipe to use?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: Eating green pumpkin?
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2011, 06:00:40 pm »
In Little House on the Prairie, Ma makes a pie with green pumpkin and a lot of sugar and everyone thinks it's apple.

HTH.

ETA: http://sixboxesofbooks.blogspot.com/2008/09/its-pumpkin-ma-made-it-of-green-pumpkin.html
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Re: Eating green pumpkin?
« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2011, 11:00:33 pm »
Cheers Kirst, looks like an interesting experiment tomorrow....

Any other ideas as to what to do with the leftovers?  That site said they used 2 of the 10lbs...  and whilst mine is only around 5lb I don't think all of it in a pie for two will be a good idea...