Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 87773 times)

rob

Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #625 on: 23 October, 2019, 09:45:06 pm »
Nah, I'll just go back to doing it as a DIY... I walk alone...

Good Riddance.....or have the time of your life

« Reply #626 on: 25 October, 2019, 12:40:21 pm »

Why not offer your services for a route check ?

« Reply #627 on: 25 October, 2019, 01:12:26 pm »
Why not offer your services for a route check ?

Not a bad idea. Is there a planned one before this or is it just a case of riding and sending notes back to the org?

Bear in mind, I only use GPS, I don't use paper whatsit thingiebobs so I may be useless for this?

I'm still waiting for the bloody CTT calendar to come out to pick 12hr races before committing to anything next year. Maybe I can schedule it early.

rob

« Reply #628 on: 25 October, 2019, 01:53:38 pm »
I'm still waiting for the bloody CTT calendar to come out to pick 12hr races before committing to anything next year. Maybe I can schedule it early.

23rd Aug - National 12hr - Cheshire course + Welsh 12hr (no idea why the clash....)
6th Sep - Kent CA

I suspect no Newbury and I think the Yorkshire event is also disappearing.   Not sure on the Breckland and the ECCA.

« Reply #629 on: 25 October, 2019, 01:54:34 pm »

23rd Aug - National 12hr - Cheshire course + Welsh 12hr (no idea why the clash....)
6th Sep - Kent CA

I suspect no Newbury and I think the Yorkshire event is also disappearing.   Not sure on the Breckland and the ECCA.

Cheers, how'd you find those out? Did you go direct to the district or something? Or do you have a draft handbook?

Chesire is probably the fastest of those after Breckland I guess?

rob

« Reply #630 on: 25 October, 2019, 02:00:30 pm »

6th Sep - Kent CA

Cheers, how'd you find those out? Did you go direct to the district or something? Or do you have a draft handbook?

Chesire is probably the fastest of those after Breckland I guess?

There's a thread on the TT forum, but you can often get dates early if you go to the individual district website.  I've not ridden the Cheshire but it shares roads and organisers with the 24hr so quick-ish with the odd hill.   Breckland definitely the fastest as the ECCA is now a bit more sporting with only the first 80 miles on the E2.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #631 on: 25 October, 2019, 04:55:12 pm »
The Yorkshire event is being resurrected, under new management and on a different course.

« Reply #632 on: 25 October, 2019, 05:08:30 pm »
The Yorkshire event is being resurrected, under new management and on a different course.

Is it likely to be a flat, fast course? Any idea of date? and maybe this chat should go over to Racing thread?

Crackpot Tester Ride: April is gonna be wet(ter) and miserable(er) isn't it?

« Reply #633 on: 27 October, 2019, 07:35:29 pm »
A route check would need to be within two weeks of the calendar ride for the rider to be validated as a rider on the event (as far as I’m aware anyway).

You could always ride it in April, but it’d have to be a DIY perm in that case.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #634 on: 27 October, 2019, 10:50:54 pm »
Time to think about next year and seems crackpot hits the sweet spot for me in terms of timing and getting the training in. And I don't really know Wessex that well by bike so a good way to explore it.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #635 on: 27 October, 2019, 11:31:57 pm »
A route check would need to be within two weeks of the calendar ride for the rider to be validated as a rider on the event (as far as I’m aware anyway).

It was always going to be a DIY as I didn't expect it to be a calendar event. Is there any advantage to doing it within the 2 week window? What does being validated on the event get me compared to riding it, say, 3 weeks out. Would it then allow the 1000k to count towards Brevet 10000-esque awards or similar? I definitely can't do it the weekend after but perhaps the two weekends before it would be possible (and make sense from a route check point of view).

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #636 on: 28 October, 2019, 03:33:54 am »
It was always going to be a DIY as I didn't expect it to be a calendar event. Is there any advantage to doing it within the 2 week window? What does being validated on the event get me compared to riding it, say, 3 weeks out. Would it then allow the 1000k to count towards Brevet 10000-esque awards or similar? I definitely can't do it the weekend after but perhaps the two weekends before it would be possible (and make sense from a route check point of view).

you need to liaise with Shawn, but I understand that he's recrafting the route a little to take account of the passage of time, new control possibilities, and traffic volumes, so if he wanted a route check you would get the new and improved gpx file to follow.

« Reply #637 on: 28 October, 2019, 11:09:29 am »
Is there any advantage to doing it within the 2 week window? What does being validated on the event get me compared to riding it, say, 3 weeks out. Would it then allow the 1000k to count towards Brevet 10000-esque awards or similar?
Advantage: The ten points would be calendar events points not DIY points, depending on your remotest interest in 'points' :)
AUK Reg 7.2.1 "Further Event Classifications:(b) Organisers of calendar events and their helpers may ride their own event(s) up to 15 days in advance or 7 days after the scheduled event date and be included in the event results."
Yes - if you ride the calendar (BRM) event route in support of the organiser (eg route check) then your ride can be homologated as a BRM, which one could count towards (say) ACP10k award. A DIY would only be BR, which would be fine for all the AUK Brevet type awards (and others) but couldn't be used for the ACP ones (5k and 10k).
HTH

« Reply #638 on: 28 October, 2019, 01:25:07 pm »
Note that BRM helper rides can only be done up to 14 days before the event and not afterwards, but suspect there is some confusion about this and in fact rides might validated when done within the larger AUK BR time frame.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #639 on: 30 January, 2020, 09:42:10 am »
 :) www.wessexsr.org.uk/CP_2020.html  :)

Now live with draft route (75% set) and schedule form (to get riders to think how)  8)

There is a roll of honour at .../Crackpot.html which now includes the perm riders of recent years. Hope I've not missed anyone  :facepalm:

« Reply #640 on: 30 January, 2020, 12:24:33 pm »
Woohoo! Route looks quite different for 2020... same shape, different roads.

Friday night is much the same but turning before Minehead means different route over Exmoor (no Dunkery Beacon)... then rest of Saturday looks similar (with deviation to Tiverton on the way up) until the route changes on the way back down after Sedgemoor, heading towards Bridport rather than Axminster with a different control for the first night stop.

First half of Sunday is very different, with a new route through Somerset and the Mendips, but similar to the original after the turn at Michaelwood and down to West Stafford. The final day looks completely new!

:thumbsup:

dat

« Reply #641 on: 30 January, 2020, 06:15:55 pm »
I'm very tempted by this. I'm doing a 2800k over 7 days at the start of the month so I should be fit for this. Do clip on guards count?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #642 on: 30 January, 2020, 07:29:45 pm »
I'm very tempted by this. I'm doing a 2800k over 7 days at the start of the month so I should be fit for this. Do clip on guards count?
400km per day for 7 days?

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

dat

« Reply #643 on: 30 January, 2020, 07:40:10 pm »
400km per day for 7 days?

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
Yeah, but I'm supported.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #644 on: 30 January, 2020, 08:30:21 pm »
pffft. Anyone can do that unsupported ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #645 on: 30 January, 2020, 10:16:30 pm »
Have had an enjoyable evening working on the plan.  Track record (West Highland 1000km in 2017) suggests that I should be able to make Cranmore for Saturday night, but arrive a tad later than ideal.  Will sleep on in and do some tweaking tomorrow.

Have to persuade Mrs CET to write the cheque for the event, as I've run out and the bank has stopped sending me new ones.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #646 on: 31 January, 2020, 12:30:49 pm »
Figuring one's average moving speed over average terrain, then plus the time required to climb was my epiphany in ride planning.

25kph for anything up to 10m/km, anything over I +1hr per 1000m climb. Works a treat and gives me a slight buffer. Doesn't account for gnarly descents in the middle of the night though....

« Reply #647 on: 31 January, 2020, 04:51:41 pm »
Well, it's all in the post (along with the rest of the WessexSR) ... but the schedule just looks like a work of fiction.

The reality will kick in when we leave Poole ... (assuming we're selected of course!)

« Reply #649 on: 31 January, 2020, 09:39:46 pm »
... but the schedule just looks like a work of fiction.

Doh! I get it now.... ::-)