Author Topic: Walking/running shoes with significant padding  (Read 3837 times)

Re: Walking/running shoes with significant padding
« Reply #25 on: 22 June, 2020, 05:12:17 pm »
That’s brilliant news Chris!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 22 June, 2020, 05:21:14 pm »
My older walking boots became quite painful to walk in. Cotswold Outdoors suggested new insoles, and they worked perfectly.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27 on: 05 July, 2020, 07:05:47 pm »
My wife loves her Hoka shoes so i thought I would get a pair.  I used to be able to do 10km quite regularly and now that we live in a beautiful part of the country I thought I would restart. 

We live on the staffordshire border just outside Burton on Trent.  Whilst quite a lot would be road, I also have paths across fields, bridal ways, etc which i would like to use.  No steep hills or major rocky paths.

Should I be looking at the road shoes or the trail shoes?

« Reply #28 on: 05 July, 2020, 08:53:14 pm »
Hoka do some that are mixed - still loads of padding, but good spiky grip as well. I have Challenger ATR and no complaints about grip. Cope ok with mud, wet grass, sand. Not a full-on trail shoe.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #29 on: 05 July, 2020, 10:23:08 pm »
Thank you.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #30 on: 23 November, 2020, 08:02:18 pm »
I thought that after mumping about my wide feet I'd come and report back on my findings.
After a bit of research suggesting that Salomon make wider shoes, combined with remembering that the last pair of proper walking boots I bought were Salomons sized up to a huge 6.5  for width (I'm a 5.5) I decided to take a punt guessing on a size 6 in the wide model. They only do this one model of shoe in a wide fitting, in 1 (weird) colour in gore tex so I didn't have a lot of choice, but amazingly they fit perfectly.
I'd clearly forgotten what it felt like to walk on rough ground in proper stiff soled shoes and it feels grand.
https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/x-ultra-3-wide-gtx-w.html#color=13276
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #31 on: 24 November, 2020, 11:47:09 am »
i've recently replaced my running shoes, due to persistent numb feet.

Went for a 'wide' fitting of Hoka speedgoat 4 shoes.

Fit is a revelation. I've been wearing running shoes too narrow all this time.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #32 on: 24 November, 2020, 07:35:26 pm »
Another one for Hoka one one. I have arthritis, Sciatica which affects my left ankle and misshapen toes.  I used mine on a two week walking holiday in Switzerland last year when I took the wrong boots which I dumped. I came across a mountain race in Pontresina where I used the Hokas and had no problems on all the rocky tracks. The Hokas also come in different widths which I found really good for my bad feet.