Author Topic: Cornish tea  (Read 915 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Cornish tea
« on: 25 February, 2014, 10:39:46 am »
Not scones and cream but actual Camellia sinensis grown in Cornwall. I read about it in the YACF stupormarket Grauniad* and then by chance weekend before last a Brizzle CTC ride stopped at the Tollgate teae shoppe, and they were using this.

http://tregothnan.co.uk/tea-plantation/

So what's it like, I hear the assembled tea drinkers and foodies of the forum clamour? Well, it's just like any other tea honestly. Nothing special and certainly nothing bad. Didn't seem weak like cafe tea can sometimes be, but not stew-prone either. Costs the same as a cup of any other tea in a cafe - whereas at Waitrose it's apparently going to be £4 for 10 tea bags!!!

*Waitrose weekend magazine - the best reason for shopping there, it's free, printed on tough paper and two sheets together are a perfect fit for the floor of the guinea pig hutch.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

IanN

• Voon
Re: Cornish tea
« Reply #1 on: 25 February, 2014, 12:35:17 pm »
I wasn't that impressed, either. I wanted to like it - being a cornish patriot and all that.

But I am a mug of strong Yorkshire Tea person - so it's probably not aimed at me.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Cornish tea
« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2014, 12:52:42 pm »
Didn't know you were Cornish - that explains the jersey*!

I suspect Cornwall just doesn't have temperatures, sunshine and altitude for tea, and while it probably gets enough rain, it might be not seasonal enough.

Apparently it's all Churchill's fault. He realised that we would never win the war if our vital tea import lines were cut, so wanted to grow it in Britain. He was right of course and in the end the righteous tea-drinking nations (Britain and Russia) were victorious over the coffee-drinking German and Italians! (we'll ignore the Americans cos they were late as always and the Japanese, well, clearly they were intent on Assam and Darjeeling to supplement their own tea growing regions!)

*No, it doesn't, does it? Wrong way round.  :facepalm:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.