Author Topic: Petrol Strimmer info  (Read 3098 times)

Petrol Strimmer info
« on: 30 October, 2022, 08:17:10 am »
A few years back (7? maybe more), I got a brushcutter to help do service clearing our newly acquired allotment, and it has been used to clear paths and stuff. It was a Qualcast branded piece of finest chinesium with a 50cc engine, and aside from (a) noise levels handling and balance and (b) feed head fun it's been basically OK. A while back the primer bulb died, squirting 2-stroke mix straight in my eye as is the way of things. Ebay provided a replacement for £notalot, fitting it it was obvious most of the plastics are arriving at the end of life - tubes, tank. While it started and ran for a few seconds, there's clearly an issue with fuel feed.

I also recently bought a makita strimmer body, primarily for use in the garden which is just as well as it doesn't have the guts to handle the allotment.

So, I 'm contemplating replacing the Qualcast.

Would a 25cc-ish engine have sufficient power to be better than the cordless? I no longer need the brush cutting capability. Something like this would seem to be good, but as 1.25mm line cutter an expensive mistake if not. Another might be the Hyundai (sold at B&Q, too) but that may just be chinesium again. Stihl, Honda etc would be spendy, but at least you know what you're getting and I would not have to replace again.

Two questions really - what power do I need to whack through couch grass etc and any suggestions to type/brand appreciated.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Petrol Strimmer info
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2022, 08:56:59 am »
We have a Stihl FS-70, which is 27cc and change.  Price including line bobbin, disc and harness was OK back in March but seems to have gone up a hefty chunk since. Our jungle being what it is I've only used it with the disc, and it makes short work of elder shoots etc.  The starting system is good: the cord winds up a spring that turns the motor once fully wound, but it still needs the customary umpteen tries + imprecations to actually fire.  Beware of lending it to ham-handed know-it-alls, if they yank too hard on the cord they'll pull it off.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2022, 10:39:38 am »
I confess I'm hoping to get away with less than £400.... (Well, £380, call me a liar)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2022, 10:55:34 am »
Just down the road we have an old-fashioned country hardware-shop (also does newspapers, sweets, tobacco...) that carries Stihl stuff so it seemed the best decision. Especially since it's what all the farmers round here use.  469€ now but I got ours in a sale for around 100€ less.

Natch, when I used it a couple of weeks ago I did something narsty to my back. Something that can only be improved by cycling, of course.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight