Author Topic: Dropbox Question  (Read 1912 times)

Dropbox Question
« on: 27 January, 2011, 03:54:28 pm »
In an earlier, now deleted, post, I saw reference to Dropbox.  Having looked at the site, I'm still not sure if this could be used to store images so that these may be linked to in posts.  It refers to web access to a box, but not whether anyone could access it via clicking links in posts even without Dropbox software installed on their computer.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Dropbox Question
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2011, 03:57:35 pm »
In an earlier, now deleted, post, I saw reference to Dropbox.  Having looked at the site, I'm still not sure if this could be used to store images so that these may be linked to in posts.  It refers to web access to a box, but not whether anyone could access it via clicking links in posts even without Dropbox software installed on their computer.
My understanding1 is that files stored via Dropbox are private unless you explicitly share them with someone - this is something I do with my clients in order to transfer content in a relatively painless manner. You could store images on there, but you'd not be able to link to them in the 'usual' way - you're better off using Flickr or similar (which was, after all, designed with such things in mind)

1 - based on my experiences as a Dropbox user and someone who uses their API to develop DropBox-aware iPhone apps.

« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2011, 04:04:46 pm »
Dropbox accounts have a special folder - called public and photos. Public is a folder that allows you to share a URL with someone and have them access the file. They don't need dropbox to do this - it serves the file from your online store.

You can also share a folder of photos with someone from the web interface.

So as a test - this pic is in my public folder and embedded as an image here

The URL is http:// dl.dropbox.com/u/161426/boulderdash.gif

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2011, 04:08:27 pm »
Interesting ... methinks another peek at the API docs is in order, since that could be potentially useful.

I still think Flickr is a better solution for image sharing though.

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2011, 04:19:15 pm »
Interesting ... methinks another peek at the API docs is in order, since that could be potentially useful.

I still think Flickr is a better solution for image sharing though.

Indeed - but Flickr is intended for photo hosting whereas Dropbox will host anything. It is incredibly useful and gives you full control.

I use Dropbox for images if it is just the one or for a short period (you can move it back out of public at anytime) or you want to share something non standard (RAW, CRW, etc.) that Flickr, etc can't handle. It is also criminally simple to use - which is good for customers...

If anyone wants a reference to Dropbox (you get free space if you refer a friend) then pm me and I'd be delighted to help.

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2011, 05:01:08 pm »
Thanks, smurphboy, you have PM. :thumbsup:

plum

« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2011, 05:24:36 pm »
Another mind bogglingly useful feature of dropbox is that any number of people can share the same folder within a box without it being actually public. I update a file on my PC, it automatically updates itself on my friends machines.

Here's an example using this idea laterally. My friends and I wanted to compare our exercise regimes. So we each downloaded the Sportracks exercise logging program. This can have multiple users set up within the same app but its not designed to be used across multiple computers. But by moving its config/db file into our communal dropbox we can all use the same database, with each account showing on all the computers. So anyone of us can simply open up Sportracks and view up to date logs for everyone else. Minor complication of editing a document open in another space exists but if you're mindful shouldn't be an issue.

The ability to share configs and working documents across spaces that were never originally thought of is fabulous.

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2011, 05:44:19 pm »
Don't forget that a monthly contribution to yACF gets you webspace that you can use to share photos and files!

Very few of the people donating have taken the offer up and I notice that even fewer are actually using their webspace. If you want help, just let me know.

« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2011, 06:06:41 pm »
I use dropbox as a real-time backup for my kids computers / ipads / iphones. Keeps a backup of all their files without them even knowing it.
As the latest version of dropbox allows you to sync only selected folders each child only sees their own stuff, whereas I can see everything  ;D
In addition I have dropbox on one of my web servers and then have a Webdav server pointing to the dropbox folder thus giving me a webdav interface to all the files as well.

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2011, 07:21:42 pm »
Another mind bogglingly useful feature of dropbox is that any number of people can share the same folder within a box without it being actually public. I update a file on my PC, it automatically updates itself on my friends machines.

I use that feature to sync the home folder on my various unix boxen so my fav shell scripts and shortcuts are available on all my accounts on various boxes, even ones that I don't own (I signed the box up with an account and share the folder so I don't expose my password or account to a remote box).

« Reply #10 on: 04 February, 2011, 10:34:01 pm »
Thanks, everyone.  I've managed to download Dropbox and finally succeeded in compiling it and installing it on my Linux box - a first for me!