Author Topic: Tour de France 2020  (Read 40911 times)

Re: Tour de France 2020
« Reply #225 on: 16 September, 2020, 11:21:30 pm »
Bernal quits.
One down, Roglic to go.  (looks like my predictions will only be 50% accurate).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #226 on: 16 September, 2020, 11:45:10 pm »
Bernal quits.
One down, Roglic to go.  (looks like my predictions will only be 50% accurate).
It depends on whether he has the capacity to fully utilise his ‘diet’ and to a lesser extent if his super domestics can also do,so. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #227 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:51:01 am »
First stage that I've watched live this year. I was enjoying it most of the way up the final climb, thinking how much nicer it was without all the imbeciles in stupid costumes running alongside or in front of the riders waving flags in their faces.

And then....  :(
How come they let the spectators up there when they'd closed off the climb they did the other day?

« Reply #228 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:54:37 am »
Because there is always a track, a little known back road and 'helpful' Gendarme
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Nick H.

« Reply #229 on: 17 September, 2020, 10:37:05 am »
TIL that the Madone is not a col ridden in the Tour, it's just a favourite of Armstrong's for training. FFS.  :demon: Let's think of a new name for Trek's bike. It will have to be anagrammable so they can also rename the other two. Go on, have a go. Something for you to do during long breakaways.

« Reply #230 on: 17 September, 2020, 11:32:09 am »
How come they let the spectators up there when they'd closed off the climb they did the other day?
In addition to the people who will just walk/ride up other routse up the mountain, lot s of people go up the day (or 2) before and camp on the mountainside. You can't close the road for a week in advance. It was quite dangerous the other year in the Giro when they skipped some of the alpine finishes because of snow - there were campervans stuck up there! Some would-be spectators also ended up missing the race when it was in Yorkshire thanks to the re-route - they had been camping on the original route!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #231 on: 17 September, 2020, 11:46:14 am »

90B(C)DHM by Mr Larrington, on Flickr
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #232 on: 17 September, 2020, 11:58:23 am »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #233 on: 17 September, 2020, 12:19:51 pm »
You just can’t see him.  He's behind the geezer on the donk, as instructed.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #234 on: 17 September, 2020, 01:31:52 pm »
Greipel has abandoned.  Surprised it took him this long.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #235 on: 17 September, 2020, 01:46:30 pm »
Rider the other day tossed his empty bidon to a bunch of kids instead of handing it into his team car and was fined 500 swiss francs. :o
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #236 on: 17 September, 2020, 02:09:40 pm »
A Cv-19 related rule perhaps? Or anti-littering?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #237 on: 17 September, 2020, 02:46:50 pm »
Anti-littering. OK for bars, wrappers etc. but every discarded bottle on the TdF is snapped up.  The penalty was 200 Sfr to start with but the riders didn't take much notice so they doubled it and got 500.  Considering that I just saw an official car take half the road away from a rider in a hairpin bend I'm not surprised.

---o0o---

Meanwhile, France TV commentators, the S on the end of Aravis is pronounced.  We used to spend a week every year in that area.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #238 on: 17 September, 2020, 03:22:38 pm »
Allan Peiper, with typical Australian relish, told a story about a rider who shat in a cotton cap and flung it into the hedge.  Unfortunately this was just after a feeding station, and fans were hanging around waiting to grab empty musettes  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #239 on: 17 September, 2020, 03:44:32 pm »
If you are on a disk bike and get a rear puncture could you not use a neutral service rim brake only wheel just to get you through with only one brake or would it simply not fit in the frame or is it because of through axles?

« Reply #240 on: 17 September, 2020, 04:13:08 pm »
A QR hub is 135mm and fits between the dropouts. The dropouts in a disk frame are also 135mm apart but they have additional 3.5mm slots to hold a 142mm hub. A QR hub won't work in a through axle frame.

Some dropouts/hubs have adaptors to switch between the two systems, but not during a race.

« Reply #241 on: 17 September, 2020, 04:20:14 pm »
Ah fair enough I'd forgotten about the extra 3.5mm each side

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #242 on: 17 September, 2020, 04:32:55 pm »
Losing Bernal did Ineos a power of good.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #243 on: 17 September, 2020, 06:15:31 pm »
Have they opened the jiffy bags?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #244 on: 17 September, 2020, 06:48:12 pm »
The best laid plan at the finish seemed slightly unplanned...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #245 on: 17 September, 2020, 06:51:13 pm »
Rider the other day tossed his empty bidon to a bunch of kids instead of handing it into his team car and was fined 500 swiss francs. :jurek:
I've noticed lots of riders tossing their empty bidons by the roadside. Not convinced they all get
collected by roadside fans. Lots of gel wrappers being tossed on the road by riders too.

I suppose they do the same thing when they're on their long 5 => 6 hour training rides?

« Reply #246 on: 17 September, 2020, 08:57:46 pm »
Curiouser and curiouser...

One of Jumbo-Visma's sports directors has been booted off the Tour after an altercation with a UCI bike-check official yesterday.

https://www.velonews.com/events/tour-de-france/jumbo-visma-sport-director-kicked-out-of-tour-de-france-following-stage-17-incident/
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #247 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:01:12 pm »
Allan Peiper, with typical Australian relish, told a story about a rider who shat in a cotton cap and flung it into the hedge.  Unfortunately this was just after a feeding station, and fans were hanging around waiting to grab empty musettes  ;D

Tom Simpson did this - in a team member’s hat!

« Reply #248 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:05:16 pm »
Rider the other day tossed his empty bidon to a bunch of kids instead of handing it into his team car and was fined 500 swiss francs. :jurek:
I've noticed lots of riders tossing their empty bidons by the roadside. Not convinced they all get
collected by roadside fans. Lots of gel wrappers being tossed on the road by riders too.

I suppose they do the same thing when they're on their long 5 => 6 hour training rides?

The bidons are made with some sort of rice starch in the composition, so they naturally degrade over time I understand.

« Reply #249 on: 17 September, 2020, 09:10:09 pm »
A QR hub is 135mm and fits between the dropouts. The dropouts in a disk frame are also 135mm apart but they have additional 3.5mm slots to hold a 142mm hub. A QR hub won't work in a through axle frame.

Some dropouts/hubs have adaptors to switch between the two systems, but not during a race.

Just an observation, more teams are using rim brakes again this year, and I guess this is part of the reason they’ve stood up to the manufacturers. Riders in 1 and 2 positions are on rim brakes.