Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882320 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23525 on: 31 May, 2020, 09:25:04 pm »
Yes. Having basically taken up running for lock down as easier to fit in a run before going to work I've massively neglected my cycling. Got my fast bike back from a mate I lent it to so thought I'll take that for a spin rather then my Thorn club tour.

It flew. Up earlyish and out the door by 7 as needed to be back by 9. No wind. Sunshine just getting warm and probably passed more cyclists then cars. Back home in time for the wife to go out with around 34km done

Highlight was seeing a young hare. Probably too big to call a leverete but it bounded off when I got too close. I love it when they turn it on as most the time they are just trotting. When they really go it's amazing.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23526 on: 31 May, 2020, 11:04:22 pm »
So having travelled to Edinburgh to evacuate the PSO from his flat where the lease had run out, we all came back home to Aberdeen.
I did so as my Permitted Activity, on my bike.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3542741806

« Reply #23527 on: 01 June, 2020, 08:19:24 am »
Out in the Essex lanes from Great Easton with wife (will admit to having driven there). Out along the LEL 17 route, which I had signposted as a volunteer back then having packed up as a rider, then back through the little lanes. Great day to be out. Within 5 minutes of the start in Dunmow saw someone going the other way eith a PBP 2020 jersey, who i did not recognise (it was about 1.30 in the afternoon) and saw Tomsk pull up into his house after his ride. 100km in the sunshine.

« Reply #23528 on: 01 June, 2020, 04:01:00 pm »
Yesterday, a couple of hours exercise to Bramham and back, average speed 26km/h.  Loads of casual cyclists on all sorts of machines except recumbents.  Was wearing my new 'Funkier' shorts, very comfortable - never heard of them before but the reviews were encouraging.

Today, another shopping trip into York.  No real increase in traffic although town a little more crowded than desolate.  Walked straight into M&S, hardly anyone there, bought stuff and left without queuing at any stage. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #23529 on: 01 June, 2020, 04:29:43 pm »
Day off so headed out to the FRB via California, lovely day on the bike which takes me over 5500km's for the year so far.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49980371
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23530 on: 01 June, 2020, 11:34:35 pm »
Yesterday, a couple of hours exercise to Bramham and back, average speed 26km/h.  Loads of casual cyclists on all sorts of machines except recumbents.  Was wearing my new 'Funkier' shorts, very comfortable - never heard of them before but the reviews were encouraging.
That must make Bramham a funky town.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23531 on: 01 June, 2020, 11:35:40 pm »
Evening ride up the Incline and back via Battersby Moor and Baysdale. Meandery route there meant I crossed the Leven three times, and as anyone who spoke to Chris S while he lived in Guis knows, The Leven is Made Out of Acid. It's a steep wee dene.

Great ride, and included my first sighting of the sea in yonks.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #23532 on: 02 June, 2020, 01:24:32 am »
Went to bridge of earn via the hills on Sunday, turned off the coast road at Newburgh and bagged the abdie road before collecting the road into the North end of Pitmedden, pretty much every farm name seemed to have a Yogh in it and some of the signs evemln used the letter rather than substituting it with a Z.
Forest Road had bigger aggregate than I remembered but only had to dismount once when I got my line wrong and the 28s dug in on a rising right hander.
Down mournipea into Muchty before a balt along the A91 which other than a line of 10 cars and the 2 that passed me was pretty quiet.
Up glen tarkie before cutting across to Glenfarg and the small road descent to the Dron, a few roads and tiles to bag round bridge of earn but the warmer than forecast conditions got me and I was forced to shop for ice cream and liquid.
After all that I just had the 20 mile slog back into the brisk easterly.

A few twinges and lack of energy tell me I need a couple of days rest now.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49926451

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

bairn again

« Reply #23533 on: 02 June, 2020, 10:06:34 am »
I nipped out early doors to bag a beautiful 50km before work, given a deteriorating forecast. 

More traffic than I was expecting though, especially after 0730 on the way back.    :(

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/50022157

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #23534 on: 02 June, 2020, 01:59:53 pm »
rather warm 68km on Grunhilda.  Think I saw Grandad otp.

« Reply #23535 on: 02 June, 2020, 08:40:04 pm »
That must make Bramham a funky town.  :D

It is.  This is Bramham Park Music festival in a previous, non-viral year>

Also, the European Bike Express calls there.  So yeah, you need the funky shorts, bro.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #23536 on: 03 June, 2020, 12:58:24 pm »
Went for a brief towpath ride on my new fat bike. ( Sonder Via Fortis) Great fun and uber comfy!!

« Reply #23537 on: 03 June, 2020, 02:19:55 pm »
Fabulous old-fashioned tints in that picture, Dean.  I guess most cyclistsd will be drawn to the surface and steepness of The Inclinebut as an ex-pat my eyes immediately picked out Roseberry and Captain Cook.  Terrific shot, thanks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23538 on: 03 June, 2020, 04:54:10 pm »
86k coffee-shop trot on the old Ti Warhorse.  Delighted to find that they survived lockdown.  Greeted like old friend, as is only fitting: I've been going there for 15 years.

Weather hot & humid, with thunderheads building to the south and strong gusts now & then.  Despite drinking 1.5 litres on the road plus a pint of Isostar once home, I still ended up a kilo lighter than this morning.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23539 on: 03 June, 2020, 06:19:52 pm »
Only for 45 minutes but I got out. And my god the driving?! I had more incidents in today's ride than the last half dozen hours.

Including one guy who reversed out of a blind driveway too fast and then swore at me because he had to jump on the brakes because I was occupying the space he wanted to enter. Like sorry dude. I'm already using this bit of road.

Most odd.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #23540 on: 03 June, 2020, 10:43:07 pm »
I have been out! First time for a week, and it was on my old Kinesis TK3 with full rack, guards and pannier fit, so it was slow. And you don't half get blown about with that much surface area in a bit of a wind. But it was a lovely, unpressured, 40k bimble.

bairn again

« Reply #23541 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:45:37 am »
Given the deteriorating forecast for today (and the next few days) I got up super early for the 2nd time this week and managed my standard training 50km.

Bang on 16 mph for the non urban bit I tend to measure.  I feel like Im beginning to shed a bit of my "lockdown layer" and getting a little quicker as a result.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/50137948

« Reply #23542 on: 04 June, 2020, 06:26:42 pm »
Not today but 103km yesterday

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23543 on: 04 June, 2020, 07:12:11 pm »
Took the MTBSO out to explore Mid Hill Wind Farm.
Normal Service has Been Restored in relation to Scottish Weather.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3563765434

« Reply #23544 on: 04 June, 2020, 09:53:34 pm »
Fabulous old-fashioned tints in that picture, Dean.  I guess most cyclistsd will be drawn to the surface and steepness of The Inclinebut as an ex-pat my eyes immediately picked out Roseberry and Captain Cook.  Terrific shot, thanks.

Cheers Pete, I was thinking of you when I posted that (you should follow me on Instagram, my feed is all rough trails bleeding off into the distance).

Here's another from Battersby Moor, just for you. I love the falling-off-the-edge-of-the-world vibe you get up on the ridges.

« Reply #23545 on: 04 June, 2020, 10:33:30 pm »
I had an after dinner blast of 31km this evening, during which i saw 5 deer and bagged a couple of tiles.
I also got to try out my new heart rate monitor. 183bpm is nearer 220 than my age, even if   you're being really flattering. I've always run a bit fast though, so I'm not so alarmed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #23546 on: 05 June, 2020, 06:44:11 am »
Around 45km yesterday evening. Weather was much better then predicted early in week with very little wind and only a few drops of rain. Was 30mph gusts when looked Monday

Legs did protest to start with and my social distance riding buddy has clearly ridden a lot more then me through all this but my legs eventually started working

Highlight was the four sightings of barn owls. It's possible some were repeats but if not its great to see so many

bairn again

« Reply #23547 on: 05 June, 2020, 02:30:49 pm »
15km into central edinburgh and back to give blood (something Id be able to do at work in normal times and remembered recently Id not done for ages).

Staff werent that keen to let me loose when they learned id cycled so I had to promise to walk with it a wee bit, which i did. 

Stayed dry.  Windy tho. 

« Reply #23548 on: 05 June, 2020, 04:11:11 pm »
15km into central edinburgh and back to give blood (something Id be able to do at work in normal times and remembered recently Id not done for ages).

Staff werent that keen to let me loose when they learned id cycled so I had to promise to walk with it a wee bit, which i did. 

Stayed dry.  Windy tho.

Next time wear civvies and don't mention the bike :)

« Reply #23549 on: 05 June, 2020, 11:51:13 pm »
~40km (for the third time this week) just over to Ladybower Res and down the road towards Derwent Res and then back up the hill to Sheffield.

Brutal westerly, had to put in a big effort to get down the hill.

Found a new short sharp climb on the way back in, caught me by surprise because I wasn't 100% sure where I was. Fun.

15% for 0.2km ttps://www.strava.com/segments/11452073