Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3904011 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23425 on: 19 May, 2020, 09:09:58 pm »
Interesting post box! ^^

I went, fascinatingly(!), to the nearest shop I consider worth getting the bike out for, which is just under a mile away. When I came out of the shop I had one of those conversations we have now that lockdown has broken down our Anglo-saxon reserve, a bloke asking me about my tyres and saying he "admired my set-up". Then I spotted my lockdown friends Martin the poet and Charlotte the not-a-student, having a socially undistant coffee on the terrace of a cafe which I didn't know was open and am not sure it was really meant to be open. Does the cafe terrace actually count as takeaway?  ::-) They invited me to join them but  ::-) had work to be getting on with  ::-) ("the importance of being kind to yourself and others for workers in flood defence and coastal erosion"). So I rode back, which means I've ridden almost 2 miles today!!!! :o!!!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23426 on: 19 May, 2020, 09:16:15 pm »
Out on my new bigger wheeled Muni.  Bought partly so that mini_2 can ride the 24" with me, since she learnt to ride too.

Now the little bugger has discovered she can ride my new 27.5" too.  And she's improving faster than I am.  Pesky kids.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23427 on: 19 May, 2020, 09:22:45 pm »
90-something km in search of a couple of awkward VeloViewer tiles.  Hotter than I anticipated, though I managed not to get sunburnt, and my eyes were itching for the duration.

I didn't get the camera out, so here's a library photo of the sign at Haseley Knob:

You'll have to imagine the cordoned-off manhole with a pair of ducks swimming in it, and the kid on a unicycle clutching a milkshake desperately trying to keep up with his friends on mountain bikes.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23428 on: 20 May, 2020, 07:46:01 am »
Wish I'd seen that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23429 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:00:30 am »
25.5 miles on the Dawes around Haywards Heath - drivers still being quite courteous which I can’t see lasting much longer. Saw a deer too which was nice.

« Reply #23430 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:25:37 am »
Yesterday, socialy distancesd rde to Lea Rhodedendron gardens.  53 miles 2500 ft assent.  Mind you it took 8 1/2 hours with tea stops.  The Brompton front bag always on the bike has water and the Jetboil for a brew.

bairn again

« Reply #23431 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:14:06 am »
A pleasant 50k ride out west to Linlithgow and back yesterday post work.

My memory could be playing tricks on me but traffic looked almost back to pre lockdown levels so I'll b sticking to known quieter roads from now.  Its only likely to get worse after Thursdays ScotGov announcement where it appears likley that we will continue the "England + 2 weeks" approach to lockdown.     

This is as close to a training ride as Ive got recently, I've set myself a target to get in shape by 1 July whether events are back on or not. 

Reasonably happy to be over 25kph for the "out of town" 38km, hoping to get closer to 30kph though. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49071490

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23432 on: 20 May, 2020, 02:14:57 pm »

We lived in Linlithgow when we were first married, up one of the turn-offs out the Blackness Rd.  That was before they built the motorway - it was a pleasant walk, round the loch.  Dunno what it'd be like now.  I can remember an old neighbour saying "aye, it'll be grand to see Lithgy from the motorway".  :facepalm:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23433 on: 20 May, 2020, 02:18:21 pm »
50k for me too, consisting roughly of 25k uphill false flat going and a nice belt homewards.

bairn again

« Reply #23434 on: 20 May, 2020, 03:19:41 pm »

We lived in Linlithgow when we were first married, up one of the turn-offs out the Blackness Rd.  That was before they built the motorway - it was a pleasant walk, round the loch.  Dunno what it'd be like now.  I can remember an old neighbour saying "aye, it'll be grand to see Lithgy from the motorway".  :facepalm:

The motorway predates my cycling career, but the main + is/was that the A803 is a lot quieter.  I tend to turn back east at the railway station and will avoid the A803 between Linlithgow and Lathallan RAB as its an unpleasant rat run for the motorway. 

Up until about 10 years ago the Edinburgh Road Club midweek 10TT started from Kirkliston out to just past the Bridgend turn off and back again with a dead turn. 

That has gone by the wayside with both Kirkliston and especially Winchburgh expanding hugely and we're now out in Tranent.     

« Reply #23435 on: 20 May, 2020, 04:32:03 pm »
Day off today so headed out without a plan and made it up as i went along, ended with 130k around the outskirts of Glasgow and never more than an hour from home, but found it a bit hard going with heavy legs and an even heavier me, climbed like a dead sloth but it was good to get out all the same.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49119953

Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #23436 on: 20 May, 2020, 04:50:59 pm »
Yep. A quick post lunch hour around the lanes. Perfect weather for it.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #23437 on: 20 May, 2020, 04:54:52 pm »
Warm 100k out to the Pass of Ballater to inspect the crags.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3482550023

« Reply #23438 on: 20 May, 2020, 06:34:00 pm »
A short 6 miles to gain a appetite for  my birthday supper. A bit warm out there   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #23439 on: 20 May, 2020, 07:49:30 pm »
Yesterday over cooked it a bit;  Lea Rhodedendron Gardens in the Peak District,  53 miles and 2500 ft assent.  A bit much for me but fun all the same and it did take me 8 hrs with stops. :demon:

« Reply #23440 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:14:33 pm »
Yesterday over cooked it a bit;  Lea Rhodedendron Gardens in the Peak District,  53 miles and 2500 ft assent.  A bit much for me but fun all the same and it did take me 8 hrs with stops. :demon:

You must have done - that's the second time you posted about it today!  ;D

I did about 5km, a round trip to the allotment.

« Reply #23441 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:21:13 pm »
Still restricted to shopping and Zwift but today I managed the Alpe du Zwift at 3rd attempt.

Now I am a bit more familiar with the territory I had a strategy, to keep down to c. 200 Watts. I find it hard to be very precise so most sections were c. 210. In the last segment I found myself in sight of 2 riders who'd passed me a few times. Managed to dig deep and pip them at the post no doubt to their chagrin. The summit is a very spooky place with dark skies, snow drifts and gigantic figures so I didn't linger.  At least there are no shabby looking ski hotels. My time was palindromic 74m 47secs.

Will do it for real one day!
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #23442 on: 20 May, 2020, 08:22:35 pm »
Took the Bridgestone Moulton along the GU canal from Uxbridge, and into Denham Country Park on a track that runs through woods, over rivers, finally alongside the railway embankment to Denham Station. Into Denham village and back through the golf course and back onto the canal again. Quite a few walkers and other cyclists in the sunshine.

Only seven miles, but very enjoyable to be out on a bike again.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #23443 on: 20 May, 2020, 09:12:11 pm »
I forgot to post: On Sunday Mrs ST and I took the new-to-us tandem out on the road for the first time  :D  She was absolutely terrified but wants to do it again :thumbsup:

And today I did 36 km among very well behaved traffic on legs that were not nearly as rubbish as I expected them to be.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #23444 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:18:51 am »
100kms today to Brill Windmill. Am I the only one that is still furloughed and that can enjoy longer rides during the week in the weather on days like today? I’m going to miss it when I finally go back to work.

« Reply #23445 on: 21 May, 2020, 07:28:56 am »
What do you mean, still? I've been working full time :)

Managed to sneak in a lovely 40 miles out round Teesdale and Labgleydale last night, though. The roads were quite quiet, after a noticeable pickup in traffic for the last week or so. And I found a tractor that was slow enough to catch, and grabbed on the back to get a bit of help up a wee climb.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23446 on: 21 May, 2020, 10:42:24 am »

The motorway predates my cycling career, but the main + is/was that the A803 is a lot quieter.  I tend to turn back east at the railway station and will avoid the A803 between Linlithgow and Lathallan RAB as its an unpleasant rat run for the motorway. 

Up until about 10 years ago the Edinburgh Road Club midweek 10TT started from Kirkliston out to just past the Bridgend turn off and back again with a dead turn. 

That has gone by the wayside with both Kirkliston and especially Winchburgh expanding hugely and we're now out in Tranent.   

I wasn't cycling at all back then. We used to drive up to Braemar, camp, and go hill-walking.  Long time ago now, over 40 years - I probably wouldn't recognize anything.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23447 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:46:42 am »
A short 6 miles to gain a appetite for  my birthday supper. A bit warm out there   :)
Happy birthday! Plus a day.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23448 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:52:33 pm »
27km to check on my two favourite coffee shops - one in country and one in city - and give my batteries a little work.
Coffee shops still shut, switched the batteries half way and suffered two near misses. The one upset me but I enjoyed the swearing. :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #23449 on: 21 May, 2020, 12:57:03 pm »

Are you sure that yesterday was your birthday?
After we spoke I checked my calendar and it has you down for birthdays on the 30th of this month. It's likely to be more accurate than your memory as I'm sure you will agree! ; :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated