Author Topic: Trans Alba Race  (Read 38391 times)

Re: Trans Alba Race
« Reply #75 on: 04 July, 2019, 11:55:24 pm »
Steve is 120 miles in the lead.

Nicky seems to be taking a long rest in Oban.

Cap 32's intermittent tracker has spluttered into life and they've teleported to Mallaig, so there are now eight riders on this section. If they all wake up in time for the first ferry they'll arrive in Tobermory and then Oban together at around 11 am.

Cap 35 missed a turn and has taken the main road to Kyle. I'd guess no penalty, as they're pretty much just waiting for the ferry now anyway. Maybe two or three others will have joined them overnight.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #76 on: 05 July, 2019, 08:51:26 am »
Morning update: Steve Abraham seems to be having a kip on the eastern side of Loch Lomond, having ridden 860 miles so far; Nicky Shaw is on the move from Oban, having had what appears to be a very good sleep. She has 130 miles to ride before she can hope to catch Steve - but he'd better not slumber too long. A number of pursuivants are on Mull, others have yet to reach the ferry port.
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #77 on: 05 July, 2019, 11:01:14 am »
Steve has been up and riding since 6 am. He seemed to spend the night (or part of the night) in a golf club car park. He'll be within sight of the finish tonight.

Nicky only hit the road at 8am, burning 12 hours of her 16 hour advantage, although well-earned with yesterday's riding.

The five who got the earlier ferry to Mallaig yesterday all seem to have got the first ferry to Tobermory this morning and are now waiting for the ferry to Oban. The three stragglers didn't take the chance to catch up and are still riding there, and have been caught up by 35 who took the first Mallaig ferry this morning.

Lots more hitting the first ferry now.

Phil W

« Reply #78 on: 05 July, 2019, 01:58:48 pm »
Tom Duncan has broken away into third place and is 35 miles behind Nicky.  Whether he catches her will likely be down to who sleeps the most.  With a good sleep banked Nicky is likely set for a long stint without much sleep from here on. Steve is well away, about 140 miles in the lead, barring a major mishap.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #79 on: 05 July, 2019, 02:05:03 pm »
Yeah by the looks of it Steve only has about 150 miles or so still to ride!

There was a weird thing between 6 and 8am when his tracker was seemingly stuck in one place, hence my comment above. In the end looks like he only snoozed for 2-3 hours...
Embrace your inner Fred.

essexian

« Reply #80 on: 05 July, 2019, 02:28:58 pm »
Any ideas what has happened, if anything, to Cap 53 Colin Nicol. He seemed to make it to the first ferry of the morning with the rest of the chasers but hasn't moved since.  Caps 17 and 46 have crossed onto Mull so I am sure* there wasn't an issue with overloading of the Ferry.

*Well as sure as I can be from 350 miles south!

« Reply #81 on: 05 July, 2019, 02:38:55 pm »
If you click on the points it will show when the tracker last updated. 53 hasn’t updated since this morning.

I presume they’re satellite based as there’ve been no obvious coverage gaps along the route. I imagine it’s quite easy to dislodge them into a position where they can’t see the sky well enough to transmit.

essexian

« Reply #82 on: 05 July, 2019, 02:42:04 pm »
Thanks. That does seem a possible reason and the pin thingy does confirm he arrived in time for the boat.

Well lets hope all is well and further progress is made  ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #83 on: 05 July, 2019, 03:05:38 pm »
If you click on the points it will show when the tracker last updated. 53 hasn’t updated since this morning.

I presume they’re satellite based as there’ve been no obvious coverage gaps along the route. I imagine it’s quite easy to dislodge them into a position where they can’t see the sky well enough to transmit.
The Legends website https://www.legendstracking.com/ says the GPS derived position data is sent to Legends HQ using gprs i.e mobile phone. Possibly not the best choice for a part of the country consisting of lots of open space and  no mobile signal. Low power and cost though.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #84 on: 05 July, 2019, 04:12:13 pm »
Thanks. That does seem a possible reason and the pin thingy does confirm he arrived in time for the boat.

Well lets hope all is well and further progress is made  ;D

Caps 52 and 53, clubmates of mine, are fine. This message came in from Dave Hill (52) this morning after someone else expressed concern that Colin Nicol (53) had literally missed the boat. "Don't worry guys all on board and heading to Oban now."  :thumbsup:

essexian

« Reply #85 on: 05 July, 2019, 04:14:03 pm »
Brilliant. Thanks for the update.  :thumbsup:

Regards

Ian

Phil W

« Reply #86 on: 05 July, 2019, 05:29:58 pm »
Not sure what is going on with Claire Davis.  She overlapped Steve when he was around 900 miles. Been stationary some time. My guess is she's waiting for more of the lead riders to pass by.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #87 on: 05 July, 2019, 05:48:56 pm »
Steve's heading for Talla. Nice 'n' scenic  :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #88 on: 05 July, 2019, 07:38:27 pm »
And 'just' Redstone Rig to go  :)

« Reply #89 on: 05 July, 2019, 09:23:37 pm »
Nicky seems to be holding a two hour lead on Tom Duncan, despite a lengthy stop at Dumbarton Starbucks.

Steve is nearly at the 1000 mile mark with 70-ish miles to go.

There are later last ferries on Friday nights, so there's a bit less drama there.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #90 on: 05 July, 2019, 10:21:49 pm »
There are later last ferries on Friday nights, so there's a bit less drama there.

Aye but the riders have to run the gauntlet of Friday night Clydebank, Coatbridge, Wishaw, and assorted Lanarkshire settlements. Rather them than me! Cowdenbeath on Friday night was bad enough.
Embrace your inner Fred.

Phil W

« Reply #91 on: 05 July, 2019, 10:41:52 pm »
Has Jane managed to catch the last ferry (tonight) to Oban?  Awaiting that next tracker update!

« Reply #92 on: 06 July, 2019, 06:48:29 am »
Steve into last 10 miles- should finish between 7.30 and 8.  Amazing effort.

Phil W

« Reply #93 on: 06 July, 2019, 07:19:06 am »
Read the day 4 blog, didn't realise they put the gang plank back down on one of the ferries for Nicky's three  ferries in one day effort.  Great effort and helped her keep the second place. Still maintaining a 20 mile gap at the moment.

Steve now in the last five miles and shortly riding past Salisbury crags

Phil W

« Reply #94 on: 06 July, 2019, 07:37:17 am »
Steve now finished

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #95 on: 06 July, 2019, 09:58:02 am »
Amazing effort from Steve Abraham. Congratulations to him: I wish I'd been up earlier to cheer him at the finish at Holyrood.
Embrace your inner Fred.

essexian

« Reply #96 on: 06 July, 2019, 10:10:47 am »
Excellent work by Steve  :thumbsup:

Looking close for second with cap 7 closing in on cap 4: only 12 miles between them although Cap 4's tracker has not updated for 30 minutes. 70 miles or so to go for Cap 4 so it could be close.

Phil W

« Reply #97 on: 06 July, 2019, 02:29:14 pm »
Nicky has 30 miles to go and a 10 mile lead over Tom.  I think she'll hold onto that lead barring anything major happening. Go Nicky.

Phil W

« Reply #98 on: 06 July, 2019, 04:41:25 pm »
Nicky has held onto 2nd with just 3 miles left for her to go.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #99 on: 06 July, 2019, 04:52:08 pm »
Nicky's tracker shows her in Holyrood Park, on Queen's Drive. Few hundred metres left.
Embrace your inner Fred.