Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391364 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #1100 on: 23 August, 2018, 02:29:25 pm »
Good to see. Makes a change from other things!

Certainly does.  :thumbsup:
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1101 on: 24 August, 2018, 07:39:25 am »
(Have consulted all the various FAQ pages and the AUK Regs but can’t find an answer to this one)

I have a vague memory that if a multi-day ride crosses an official time boundary then there’s a degree of latitude allowed in terms of the date to which it gets officially allocated - but an equally vaguely memory suggests that this might just be an RRtY thing rather than a points table and SR thing.

What I have in mind is starting a 500 or 600 DIY on Sunday 30 September 2018 and completing the ride the following day, Monday 1 October.

Subject to declaring it as my intention in advance, would I be allowed to have the ride and accompanying points attributed to the official 2018-2019 points table rather than the 2017-2018 table? Or is this flexibility limited to RRtY attribution only? (Or have I just dreamt up the whole thing.)

TIA

Found the example I was looking for. From the official FAQs:

If I ride a long ride starting in one month and finishing in the next, in which month does it count?
By default, it counts as the month when the event started. However, if you can demonstrate that you rode at least 200km in the following month then it can be accepted as an RRTY counter for that month instead. Note that the one ride can only be counted for one month for RRtY purposes
!

So, does this flexibility only apply to RRtY, or does it apply to, say, R10000 too, thereby enabling a ride beginning 30 September and finishing 1 October (with 200 or more km on each day) to count in either year (but not both)?
Eddington Number = 132

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1102 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:07:32 am »
Only RRtY.  The rest is in your hopeful imagination.

That said, some DIY organisers can be flexible, and it is ultimately the DIY org who enters your 'date ridden' into the system.  So I suggest you go down that route.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #1103 on: 29 August, 2018, 06:21:19 pm »
Thank you FF.

Difficult to see the logic of allowing discretion for RRtY but not other ‘awards’, but then logic rarely seems to be the driving force behind AUK’s rules. I have no interest in trying to bend the rules so my DIY org can rest easy knowing that I won’t be making a rule-bending request.
Eddington Number = 132

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1104 on: 30 August, 2018, 03:03:01 pm »
RRtY is unique among the awards in that it is claimed over any rolling 12-month period.  It was also not an in-house AUK award until quite recently, and so its own rules evolved differently to those of AUK.  It is also (I think) one of the most difficult - I speak as a 14-years Super Randonneur but never once achieved RRtY.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #1105 on: 31 August, 2018, 04:37:52 pm »
Is it still an Audax if you don't buy at least one thing from a Co-op?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #1106 on: 31 August, 2018, 08:09:54 pm »
Is it still an Audax if you don't buy at least one thing from a Co-op?

For me, normally ibuprofen at about 150km, sooner if properly hilly.

In answer to your question, unequivically no.
Rule 77

« Reply #1107 on: 06 September, 2018, 03:59:22 pm »
I submitted an ECE request 3 days ago via the website, my random question is, how long does it usually take to get a response?
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1108 on: 06 September, 2018, 04:04:58 pm »
Don't know.

Suspect this random question would have a random answer!

« Reply #1109 on: 06 September, 2018, 04:21:02 pm »
If you just submitted a normal entry I wouldn't expect a reply at all. If you're confident your route is valid just go out and ride it.

If you have a query you probably need to ask Martin directly.

« Reply #1110 on: 06 September, 2018, 06:41:48 pm »
Did you get an instant automated response?  That's your Brevet card complete with event No, you're good to go.   If you haven't had it, check your spam folder, if you still haven't had it, I wouldn't assume it'd gone through.

« Reply #1111 on: 07 September, 2018, 08:44:27 am »
Yes, I got an automated response complete with entry reference number shown on the brevet card. I am fairly confident about the route, I quickly put something together in Strava builder, a direct route, without any meandering or scenic detours as per the guidelines.  I wasn't totally pedantic and look on Google maps and selecting Walking mode as suggested in the guidelines, so fairly confident yeah.  I've marked out my single control point which is between 50-80km.

However, I thought these had to be manually approved? I mean I have nothing to print off either, it says that the event organiser should Sign on my arrive at the start of the calendar event, but what should they sign exactly? I have selected a control point for the return journey as well (although I didn't mentioned it in "Other field"), but it too would be hard to avoid as its the other side of a bridge that spans a River; no alternative bridges for miles around - it's the direct route.

Probably worry about nothing, I will have an activity on Strava that I can easily export as a GPX file or directly from my Wahoo (somehow - still gotta figure that out) at the end of the ride, and will collect receipts at both control points (assuming its even required!?) which I can easily take a photo of on my phone again if necessary.

The automated email has a Tracklog uploader at the bottom of it - I think I will retain receipts until they are requested.

« Reply #1112 on: 07 September, 2018, 12:41:40 pm »
I mean I have nothing to print off either, it says that the event organiser should Sign on my arrive at the start of the calendar event, but what should they sign exactly?
That's a hangover from (now rather rare) printed cards for ECEs
The proof for the 'finish control' of the extension "to" which is the start of the calendar event - so the calendar event can sign it (if you are using paper).   Ditto for the extended leg "from", the calendar event organiser can sign as the "start control" for that bit.

I've not done that many ECEs but never had an ECE card, so never had anything to sign, and was always validated on the strength of a GPX track which covered my "to", the calendar event, and my "from", all in the one file.

The automated email has a Tracklog uploader at the bottom of it - I think I will retain receipts until they are requested.
Always a wise move in case of technical failure.  AFAIK you can use a photocopy or scan of the validated calendar event brevet card as part of your bundle of evidence if you don't get a receipt from the start/finish of the calendar event.

« Reply #1113 on: 07 September, 2018, 01:19:30 pm »
Thanks, that seems logical.

So when I collect the brevet card at the calendar event ask the organiser to sign and timestamp the first box as proof of arrival/start time and the same at the calendar event too end.

Ps. closing remark - I don't suppose it matters whether I record the ECE and the Calendar event as one individual activity (via gps) what matters it shows I have completed both events further backing up any proof-of-passage that I may collected.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #1114 on: 08 September, 2018, 05:28:18 pm »
What matters is that you can show you have completed your ECE.  Leave it to the event organiser to handle the event proofs.  Also if you submit a combined GPS file it may end up too big for the AUK uploader, you'll have to submit it to Martin separately (which I think is quite usual).

The proof for the 'finish control' of the extension "to" which is the start of the calendar event - so the calendar event can sign it (if you are using paper).   Ditto for the extended leg "from", the calendar event organiser can sign as the "start control" for that bit.

I'm no ECE expert (never ridden one) but it seems to me that these two proofs are automatic and don't require anyone to sign anything ECE-related.  An ECE is supposed to have zero impact on the people running the 'host' event.  Without any signatures the ECE can still be validated in the expectation that the proofs will turn up (the rider gets listed as having ridden and finished the event) and if for some reason they don't the ECE becomes worthless anyway. 

« Reply #1115 on: 18 September, 2018, 12:18:39 pm »
My 100km ride has now been marked as Provisional on the website, hopefully the ECE will should follow shortly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1116 on: 18 September, 2018, 08:48:07 pm »
If we had a Random Audax Whinges thread:

(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1117 on: 18 September, 2018, 11:03:08 pm »
If we had a Random Audax Whinges thread:

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1118 on: 18 September, 2018, 11:27:47 pm »
I am not worthy!

muchos gracias

[but only 9.5/10, as you guessed the wrong event ;) ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1119 on: 23 September, 2018, 02:19:09 pm »
can anyone remind me what i need to do for a brm event completed abroad to show up on my auk account. the homologation list is here

rob

« Reply #1120 on: 23 September, 2018, 02:43:27 pm »
can anyone remind me what i need to do for a brm event completed abroad to show up on my auk account. the homologation list is here

Send an e-mail to the recorder.   Or use the contact form on the AUK website.

« Reply #1121 on: 05 October, 2018, 05:16:33 pm »
I've entered a perm for this Sunday, do I need anything before hand or do I just go ride?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Phil W

« Reply #1122 on: 05 October, 2018, 05:19:15 pm »
You need the perm brevet card unless you entered one of the few perms that can be validated by gps.

« Reply #1123 on: 05 October, 2018, 05:33:29 pm »
I did :) do I just send a copy of my gps when I'm done?

(Thanks!)
You need the perm brevet card unless you entered one of the few perms that can be validated by gps.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Phil W

« Reply #1124 on: 05 October, 2018, 06:43:59 pm »
I have yet to do a perm by gps but did you not a get a link in the email like youndo with mandatory DIY by GPS? You load your GPS tracklog up at that link.