Author Topic: C30, C60, C94, go  (Read 4349 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: C30, C60, C94, go
« Reply #25 on: 12 March, 2021, 05:31:37 pm »
What did the tape counter actually count? Presumably it was centimetres of tape?

No, it was the number of rotations of the take-up reel since the counter was reset.

http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=15085

That makes sense.  They were visibly non-linear when re-winding tape.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 12 March, 2021, 05:54:21 pm »
...(car radios that could play discs of MP3 files were certainly a thing...

Still is in some future classics  :)

The upper glovebox of my FAFC is crammed full of MP3 CDs because the line-in socket didn’t work the last time I checked.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:01:30 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #28 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:20:03 pm »
c120, a bridge too far  :(
Move Faster and Bake Things

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #29 on: 17 March, 2021, 08:33:48 pm »
We were convinced at my school that tapes branded 'metal' were actually specially made for heavy metal. Fact.

To this day, I have no idea what metal and chrome were, other than they cost a pound more for a five-pack from Woolies.
Grandad, what's a "tape" and what's a "Woolies"?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #30 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:30:53 pm »
Kids these days, don't they study history? The age of Woolies followed that of the Tudors. A daily Children's Crusade would relieve them of their pick-n-mix, foolishly left exposed to sundry juvenile pilferers via the doors. The purchase of five-packs of cassette tapes was a later and legitimate purpose, as was the acquisition of singles (vinyl, m'lord) for the princely sum of 75p.

I did once try to explain floppy disks to a recent hireling, and she really did the entire but it's not a disc and it's not floppy? routine with a completely straight face. She also refused to believe me that the vestigial ashtrays on planes actually was because people were once allowed to smoke on them. Could you open the windows? she asked, again, in complete seriousness.

I was, for reasons of topics elsewhere, pondering the prospect of 'pubic hair fashion' earlier and the fact that, as a regular swimmer, I do maintain a tidy topiary in the antipodes to avoid looking like I'm giving birth to a fully grown Leo Sayer. But then I stopped myself, because there are entire generations to whom Leo Sayer and his signature curly hirsute bouquet will forever be a mystery.

And also, I suspect that it would have been an overshare, and I wouldn't want to do that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 17 March, 2021, 09:33:07 pm »
Woolies are what you wear when your mum feels cold.

Tapes are what we used to listen to before we had videos.

I've no idea who Leo Sawyer is.  Presumably, from context, he's a hairy sportsballist or member of some once-popular beat combo.

ian

« Reply #32 on: 17 March, 2021, 10:10:19 pm »
Contemporize by locating someone with big curly hair and getting them to squeeze a pair of 28-inch waist Speedos over their head and then do a handstand.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 17 March, 2021, 10:12:21 pm »

I've no idea who Leo Sawyer is.  Presumably, from context, he's a hairy sportsballist or member of some once-popular beat combo.
Showing results for Leo Sayer
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #34 on: 18 March, 2021, 06:39:11 am »
it is sad to note that it is now impossible to buy a decent new cassette player. There is one mechanism available used by all the retro music players even the expensive ones. This mechanism has wow and flutter off the scale of the meters that used to be used to test cassette players.   

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #35 on: 19 March, 2021, 03:52:46 pm »
That's sad. My one is about 33 years old and still going strong but I have a feeling that one day it will simply die on me. Hopefully, it will be the other way round and I'll go out listening to a compilation that I made sometime in the 80s.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #36 on: 19 March, 2021, 03:56:14 pm »
it is sad to note that it is now impossible to buy a decent new cassette player. There is one mechanism available used by all the retro music players even the expensive ones. This mechanism has wow and flutter off the scale of the meters that used to be used to test cassette players.
I don't know what you've got against wow and flutter. YACF's greatest chess player and nanny respectively!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rr

« Reply #37 on: 19 March, 2021, 04:06:17 pm »

When I was a PSO I once stood behind Leo Sayer in the checkout queue at the King's Road Sainsbury's.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

rr

« Reply #38 on: 19 March, 2021, 04:09:22 pm »
A couple of years ago I acquired a replacement set of drive belts for mine from Portugal, via eBay, and changed them all, good as new.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #39 on: 19 March, 2021, 06:49:04 pm »

When I was a PSO I once stood behind Leo Sayer in the checkout queue at the King's Road Sainsbury's.

Many years ago, I stood behind Bono in the queue to pay in a record store (in Madison, Wisconsin, of all places). Kudos to everyone for blanking him despite the fact he was, of course, wearing sunglasses indoors.

Not a patch on Leo Sayer, of course.

Our car has a cassette player for some reason, despite the fact I'm sure they had long fallen by the wayside when we bought it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #40 on: 21 March, 2021, 10:34:56 pm »
Not even Blodwyn Pig ever found a lost mp3 at the side of the road.
I’ve got some of those around here <fx: waves vaguely> somewhere, but being lost, I don’t know where.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.