Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462434 times)

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #2525 on: 11 September, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »
On Thursday, I was on my way to meet friends at Fenchurch Street.  Stopped at the lights at the junction of Southampton Row and High Holborn, some dickhead messenger sails out past the line and stops right in the middle of the road at the edge of the eastbound traffic.  After waiting for 45 seconds or so, he decides to adjust the bandage around his right shin: first with his hand, then with his teeth.  At this point, the lights changed but he decided to stay where he was (right in my way) while gnawing at his bandages.  Stupidest thing I have seen on the roads in a long time and I wasn't polite.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2526 on: 11 September, 2010, 10:31:20 pm »
I had a great ride in this morning.  I went to a meeting at the Hilton, Rotherhithe, so it was up to work then on a bit.  I didn't want to ride Jamaica Road, so I used the cycle route along the river, which worked out very well, despite the cobbles.  There may have been a trace of tailwind ;)

When I got the hotel, I found that the entrance ramp is unexpectedly steep.  I larft.

I came home via a lovely barbecue with good company.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #2527 on: 12 September, 2010, 05:55:05 am »
Yes, that ramp is steep.  But I always enjoy walking my bike through hotel reception when using the ferry. :)

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2528 on: 12 September, 2010, 06:27:38 am »
I found that the entrance ramp is unexpectedly steep. 

It's fewer steep if you take a run at it  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2529 on: 12 September, 2010, 11:00:18 am »
I found that the entrance ramp is unexpectedly steep.

It's fewer steep if you take a run at it  ;)

Well, I know now ::-)

But since I've been once in 45.5 years, I expect to revisit the place in about 2056. ;D
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2530 on: 13 September, 2010, 08:43:38 am »
That wasn't too bad.  Only 2-3 minutes slower than recent commutes.  I put that down to some residual soreness, including my lower back now going a bit funny.

Tried to count traffic lights, but not sure I got them all (distractions and whatnot): 58 lights in 12.7km. :(

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2531 on: 13 September, 2010, 09:22:04 am »
I was stopped at the lights near the hospital when a chap pulls up beside me.  He is dressed in full Saxobank kit and on a new looking Kuota bike.  I say good morning but he is too busy track standing to reply.  The lights change and we are off.  As he is still clipped in he rockets ahead but isn't actually going very fast.  I am on the Orbea but I have a large Carradice on the seat post full of clothes. 
The traffic is heavy and I catch him.

Next, I filter right to get in the correct lane for the crazy shit in the middle of Taunton.  It takes him a couple of moments to get to the front of the lights presumably because he is still track standing like an arse

The same thing happens, he gets away from the lights first but isn't really going any speed.

Then we are going different ways.  I doubt I'll see him again.  Taunton is a small place but the poor weather will be here soon

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2532 on: 13 September, 2010, 09:23:00 am »
Glad you're back awheel, Andrij.  Don't push yourself too hard.
Getting there...

« Reply #2533 on: 13 September, 2010, 09:56:55 am »
... where he was (right in my way) while gnawing at his bandages.  ...

First recorded sighting of a zombie?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2534 on: 13 September, 2010, 10:24:51 am »
Left the bike at home today so planned to use a Boris Bike for the last leg of the journey from St Pancras to Southwark, only there were no bikes at the station opposite St Pancras, or at the two other nearest stations. I had to WALK a whole THREE MINUTES to find a station with ONE bike in it. Outrageous!  ;)

Moments later and I would have been beaten to it - the poor chap who turned up just after me looked crestfallen.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2535 on: 13 September, 2010, 02:14:14 pm »
You need a smartphone, and one of the apps which will tell you where the nearest bike (or space) is.
Actually, it is rocket science.

citoyen

« Reply #2536 on: 13 September, 2010, 02:39:20 pm »
Yes, I have such an app on my iPhone - that's how I managed to find another bike station so quickly (in fact, I'd already looked at it before I got off the train). And why I knew it wasn't worth trying the bike station behind St Pancras. And why I knew there was only one bike left in the one I was heading to, so knew I had to get there as quickly as possible.   :thumbsup:

I think part of the reason the bloke who arrived just after me was so disappointed was that he'd also been guided there by his phone.

Just been out for a lunchtime pootle up to Condor. Brilliantly, there's a bike station just round the corner from Condor in the side street, about 20 seconds walk from the shop. This and the fact that there's also a bike station directly outside my office makes the journey considerably quicker and easier than taking the tube. And cheaper - three separate journeys already today, all for a single solitary paaahnd.  :thumbsup:

Shame Condor didn't have what I wanted in stock.  :-\

d.

« Reply #2537 on: 13 September, 2010, 02:47:11 pm »
And what's the best iPhone app?
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #2538 on: 13 September, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »
I'm surprised Condor let you in the shop when they saw you arrive on a Boris bike.
Having hub gears within 50 feet probably makes them break out in hives anyway.

citoyen

« Reply #2539 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:01:32 pm »
And what's the best iPhone app?

Don't know. I have this one and it does the job for me - it's the only app I've used and I haven't felt the need to try any others, if that's any kind of recommendation.

I'm surprised Condor let you in the shop when they saw you arrive on a Boris bike.

That's why the bike station is round the corner - so they can't see you coming.  ;D

d.

« Reply #2540 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:04:24 pm »
Today I had the pleasure of a 15 minute hobble, a 5 minute wait, an 80 minute bus ride and a final 2 minute hobble as my commute.  It gave me plenty of time to watch cyclists enjoying the freedom of London's roads.  Harrumph. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2541 on: 13 September, 2010, 03:08:09 pm »

It's OK - riding a hire bike indicates you have a credit card, ready to be pushed to the limit...
Getting there...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2542 on: 13 September, 2010, 06:44:50 pm »
I did not enjoy the weather on my road home tonight.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2543 on: 13 September, 2010, 07:01:33 pm »
I was tired when I got up this morning but the commute in was invigorating.  It's funny how often I get ready for work thinking "Meh, do I really want to ride in again this morning?" only to rediscover, as soon as I'm on the bike, how much I love it.

Made fast time home, too.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2544 on: 13 September, 2010, 07:45:13 pm »
In spite of the discomfort I really enjoyed being out on the bike (we'll ignore the cars).  But could it be an overall nice day on the bike?  Of course not!  The wire for my computer has snapped right at the bracket at some point today.  >:(  Time to dig out the mini screwdrivers and see if it can be fixed. *sigh*

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2545 on: 13 September, 2010, 07:48:17 pm »
Sodding wind. If there's one thing that puts me off riding a bike, it's a sodding head wind.

>:(

« Reply #2546 on: 13 September, 2010, 07:53:05 pm »
Loads of idiots passing too close today.  Worst commute in yonks.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #2547 on: 13 September, 2010, 08:03:16 pm »
Loads of idiots passing too close today.  Worst commute in yonks.

You need a blue filter for your Dinotte. ;)

Won't stop them from passing too close, but just think of the fun when they see the flashing blue light in their mirrors.  :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2548 on: 13 September, 2010, 08:18:27 pm »
I was having a good ride this evening, which got even better when I saw the delightful NSTN heading out up towards Clapham Common.  I thought it would be nice to ride with her.  And it was.  Till there was a massive BANG!.  I'd had a spoke break.  Almost immediately, the wheel went a bit wobbly and started to rub badly. 

I let NSTN go on, and I hobbled on to Apex, where I got a spoke for the price of £1.  A pound?!?!? For a single spoke?!?
Getting there...

« Reply #2549 on: 13 September, 2010, 08:27:57 pm »
... Till there was a massive BANG!.  I'd had a spoke break.  Almost immediately, the wheel went a bit wobbly and started to rub badly. ...

I'm afraid you must have caught it from my singlespeed, which lost a spoke shortly after I saw you last week.

Unfortunately for me, it wasn't strictly speaking the spoke which had gone, but an eyelet had come out of the rim. :o

Ho hum, new wheel time.  I've actually got a new rim for the front wheel (the front wheel I was using was actually "borrowed" from the tourer), and had bought another spare to put in the spare bits pile, so I already have a matching pair of rims to rebuild both wheels.

Time to get spocalc and a ruler out.
Actually, it is rocket science.