Author Topic: A broken cyclist  (Read 9381 times)

A broken cyclist
« on: 02 March, 2017, 10:26:31 pm »
The story is a bit long. Not entirely sure where's the most appropriate place for it either. Posting it here since it's undoubtedly a "medical matter", and in case anyone's interested. Mostly as musing.

These are my legs.

Long story involving a rabbit hole a year ago, successful treatment of a nasty tibial fracture, with a subsequent (rather rare) complication of the first treatment.

I've been told I can work again, part time. Also been told I can't cycle. Not that I wanted to for the first 8-10 weeks...it bloody stung, I tell ya. But told it simply isn't safe, if I fall I'm knackered. And that seems fair, actually. But the physio said a turbo's OK.

So I got meself a turbo and this is the bodged together set-up:

And this was today's session. For the first time I was limited by tiredness and not pain. 30 minutes, average power 217W. No idea how that compares to normal since I've never been on a turbo before this happened. Also no idea how that compares with anyone else my age. 44, 187cm, circa 90kg.

Might post here every now and again as a sort of self-motivation strategy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: A broken cyclist
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2017, 10:31:58 pm »
Good effort. You are more keen than me, didn't sit on the bike all February.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2017, 10:34:50 pm »
Sorry to see that you have the 'thing' back!

Amazed to see you're still trying to keep fit!

At my very best my power output was cr*p, as estimated by shuttle runs at Lillieshall.

Your advisers are right though; you really don't need to be any more broken.

There are worse things in life than being a desk jockey.

A Desk Jockey.

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2017, 10:44:52 pm »
Sorry to see that you have the 'thing' back!

Amazed to see you're still trying to keep fit!

At my very best my power output was cr*p, as estimated by shuttle runs at Lillieshall.

Your advisers are right though; you really don't need to be any more broken.

There are worse things in life than being a desk jockey.

A Desk Jockey.
Quite. I'm doing mostly desk work with a bit of outpatients stuff. Not bad actually. "Keep fit"? Nah. "Try to become a bit more functional", more like.

« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:07:04 am »
217W is quite a lot considering you have a leg in that condition.

120-150W is generally considered 'touring' level.

Sorry to see you are back in your cage. Hope it works this time, you must be right fed up of it. Keep up the calcium intake, exercise and stimulating blood flow has to help with healing. If I could pass on some healfactor rate genes to you, I would.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:13:20 am »
Impressive motivation.  At least half the battle won.  GWS

(Can't help re watts as it's not something I measure)
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:30:53 am »
Good to see the SQR block still in place.  That cage will be off some day.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:58:53 am »
GWS, dont overdo it!.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2017, 10:26:47 am »
Good to see the SQR block still in place.  That cage will be off some day.
I'm very much of the "sling the commuting bike in the garage" school of bike maintenance - that's clearly transferred to my turbo training strategy!

« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:22:24 pm »
You averaged 217 watts for 30 minutes with that on - chapeau!

I hope that you get well soon. Presumably when they say 'don't cycle' they mean 'until it's healed' and not 'forever'? You have my respect for getting on the turbo and not simply eating your way through it.

Perhaps you should build up that Bish BAsh Bosh to keep you motivated;)

Mike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:49:31 pm »
Good luck with this.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:17:16 pm »
217W is seriously impressive.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 03 March, 2017, 02:59:43 pm »
Good luck, and GWS!

I love the use of the attachment from shoe-lace to mid-shin level. Can't make out the material - is it a rubber band or a silk scarf? I think a YACF buff might also do the trick!
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2017, 03:08:02 pm »
And this was today's session. For the first time I was limited by tiredness and not pain. 30 minutes, average power 217W. No idea how that compares to normal since I've never been on a turbo before this happened. Also no idea how that compares with anyone else my age. 44, 187cm, circa 90kg.

Age isn't really a factor, nor height. If you really want to compare then the most important measure using that info would be W/kg.

217W/90kg = 2.41W/kg (for 30 mins)

https://decaironmantraining.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/power-profiling-chart.gif?w=620

Extrapolating a bit (since 30-min power will be slightly lower than 20-min power[1]) puts you low Cat-5. That's pretty much your average regular commuter who makes good progress (rather than pootling/dawdling). I've done plenty of Audaxes being low/mid Cat-5 on that chart.

Of course, this is all dependent on how hard you pushed (was it an all out effort for 30 minutes or did you leave some in the tank) and also how much you're holding back due to the injury.

GWS!

1. 1 hour power is typically 95% of 20 minute power, so expected 30 min power will be around ~98% of 20-min power.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2017, 03:33:22 pm »
Seems a pretty impressive power output to me - and if age isn't a factor, why isn't the peleton full of 44 year-olds?

Curious to know what is providing all the techie numbers: do you have a power meter on the cranks, or is it an up-market turbo trainer?

GWS

Bryn

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2017, 03:54:43 pm »
I love the use of the attachment from shoe-lace to mid-shin level. Can't make out the material - is it a rubber band or a silk scarf? I think a YACF buff might also do the trick!

Looks like one of those rubber sheets that physioterrorists torment you with.  Colour denotes stretchiness.

« Reply #16 on: 03 March, 2017, 04:40:36 pm »
Thanks all! I certainly feel motivated now.

« Reply #17 on: 03 March, 2017, 04:52:51 pm »

It's unbelievable - we have about the same FTP!

I wish you had Zwift so we could ride together - you could give me a tow!

« Reply #18 on: 03 March, 2017, 04:57:23 pm »
Seems a pretty impressive power output to me - and if age isn't a factor, why isn't the peleton full of 44 year-olds?

Curious to know what is providing all the techie numbers: do you have a power meter on the cranks, or is it an up-market turbo trainer?

GWS

Bryn

He's got a Tacx Vortext Smart - they are great. In terms of function, it does almost everything that a Neo does for 40% of the price. I had one before my neo and other than the neo being quite, I may as well be on a Vortex. Review here http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/resistance-trainer/product/review-tacx-vortex-smart-t2180-50104/

One of them, plus Zwift on an iPad and you have a piece of kit that would have been unbelievable a few years ago

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #19 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:24:08 pm »
Clare wants to know if they've put your feet on the wrong legs, or is it just the style of shoe?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #20 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:27:21 pm »
Got me thinking, is that just FM or does it do MV/LM too?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #21 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:35:32 pm »
Clare wants to know if they've put your feet on the wrong legs, or is it just the style of shoe?

« Reply #22 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:37:34 pm »

It's unbelievable - we have about the same FTP!

I wish you had Zwift so we could ride together - you could give me a tow!
On the basis that "if it seems too good to be true" I suspect the numbers weren't correct. It certainly felt a hard effort and I can see progress, which is all that matters.

« Reply #23 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:39:21 pm »

GWS

Bryn

He's got a Tacx Vortext Smart - they are great. In terms of function, it does almost everything that a Neo does for 40% of the price. I had one before my neo and other than the neo being quite, I may as well be on a Vortex. Review here http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/resistance-trainer/product/review-tacx-vortex-smart-t2180-50104/

One of them, plus Zwift on an iPad and you have a piece of kit that would have been unbelievable a few years ago

I've got a Bushido - like the smart does without mains power, but works well and was a bargain price - presumably about to be replaced.

My most recent ftp test gave me only 211W, but I reckon I could draft you zwift at that Dr M.

« Reply #24 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:44:53 pm »

Looks like one of those rubber sheets that physioterrorists torment you with.  Colour denotes stretchiness.
Yep. Achilles shortening is a common issue with these frames, exacerbated by the fact I have a drop foot.