Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3895052 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #225 on: 24 April, 2008, 03:14:31 pm »
Just returned from short tour, based at Minehead Youth Hostel.

Monday - train to Bridgewater then cycle to Minehead via Bishops Lydeard, Elworthy, Watchet and Blue Anchor.
Tuesday - Followed local route 51 out of Minehead up North Hill, via off-road section to Selworthy, Allerford, Bossington and lunch at Porlock Weir. Back via Horner, Luccombe and tea at Dunster
Wednesday - Shorter ride to Luxborough, long climb out of Timberscombe. Excellent pub lunch and good real ale, back thro' Roadwater and Carhampton.

....and today back to Bristol via steam train on the West Somerset Railway as far as Bishops Lydeard and short cycle to Taunton station for fast train back.

I can thoroughly recommend the Minehead YH for a stay, with excellent food on offer, in a fabulous location.

If anyone would like more detailed information on routes used, please contact me.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #226 on: 24 April, 2008, 03:46:54 pm »
Struggled to the doctors and back in the siling rain. :(

Hope you aren't poorly sick?

Am indeed, I'm afraid.  I've been to bed for a bit to recover enough to go to the pharmacy.  Better be off soon, but I feel terrible wobbly :(
Getting there...

Maladict

« Reply #227 on: 24 April, 2008, 08:45:36 pm »
Rode out to Bottisham and did the E3/10 course in 30'20s (or so).  34km done in all including getting there and back.

« Reply #228 on: 24 April, 2008, 09:22:53 pm »
get well soon clarion :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #229 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:33:14 am »
62km to the pub (Pitchfork), then to the other pub (Fallen Angel) and home, 77.5km total.
No wildlife (apart from rabbits), a couple of new bits of road for OSM

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #230 on: 25 April, 2008, 08:22:26 am »
32 km this morning on the steamroller.
My legs doesn't hurt as much now as when I started riding fixed.

Great weather 12oC and no wind.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #231 on: 25 April, 2008, 08:34:17 am »
Went of a bit of off-road last night, on my road bike.  Went along the Blackwater Valley Path from Ash up to Frimley, then I got a bit lost so turned back.

All good, filthy fun (bike needs a good clean now) but reminded me that I haven't lost the bike handling skills.  It was also fun to do that kind of distance without been bothered by any traffic.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

steveB

« Reply #232 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:12:18 pm »
Just a fifteen mile loop, it's nice that the wind has dropped.  Dug out and wore the Shimano vented touring shoes which is a sure sign that the warmer weather is has arrived.

« Reply #233 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:59:19 am »
Dumped the dog on Daughter 2 and had a foray into Suffolk yesterday.

Along the Stour to Dedham then followed the Stort upto Hadleigh on one side and then down the other side on an unused metalled track

Bagged two new and unlocked :) churches.

40 Miles according to Sigma.This time last year i would have struggled with 4 miles.

Think i will change Sigma to Kms sound further.

N
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

Novice

« Reply #234 on: 26 April, 2008, 07:40:49 pm »
I ventured out across London to do a few laps of Richmond Park and and I am now sunburnt. Can't way for summer proper to arrive it's glorious (not the sunburn just the sunshine).

« Reply #235 on: 26 April, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »
Yezzum!

Just shy of 50 miles on Kentish orchard lanes, led by Liz of Greenwich Cyclists.
Fine pub lunch at the Alma in Painters Forstal.
The first signs of sunburn starting to show.
Summer?
Bring it on!  :D

« Reply #236 on: 26 April, 2008, 10:23:47 pm »
An excellent day's ride, to Tewkesbury, struggling against an ever-freshening headwind, but blown speedily homewards up the Avon valley. It's the first time this year I've needed to use the suncream :). Spring is well under way - lots of May blossom going north from Tewkesbury to Bredon; many swallows over ther low-lying fields and skylarks in full song.

First century ride (105 miles) with the new hip. I was well pleased with a riding average of 14.3 mph - much better than I had planned. 186 rpm is also the fastest so far this year. Guess I'll be rather stiff tomorrow.

Chris S

« Reply #237 on: 26 April, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »
Lovely 200km DIY audax round NW Norfolk, in the company of bazzerp.

Massively fast from Wymondham to Sheringham with a developing tailwind. Most pleasant lunch at the Hoste Arms, Burnham (up)Market, then got our cards stamped in the really friendly atmosphere of Fat Birds, Hunstanton, followed by a grovelling 50km stint against the breeze coming off the fens.

Enjoyed some live jazz in the Market Place in Downham before turning our backs to the wind for the last stretch. Really fast section followed - I probably averaged evens from Downham to RAF Marham where we turned onto the Beachamwell road.

Collected a receipt at the Necton Co-Op and bimbled the last km home. Brief rest for bazzerp before he set off for his last stint back to Wymondham.

I am sunburnt.

Domestique

« Reply #238 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:41:10 am »
The normal 23mile ride around the town and up to Leigh on Sea.
I havent seen as many cyclists out for a long time.  :)

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #239 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:44:05 am »
Yes. Well yesterday actually, about 40 hilly miles, wearing shorts!!

Elleigh

« Reply #240 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:53:47 pm »
I did my second ride since my stroke, yesterday.  It took me twice as long as it should have been, but wasn't as wobbly at my first ride was.  I did 35 miles which is no great distance, but it is a step towards better times.

I cycled from home to a nice little garden centre in Shipley and had a nice cup of tea and a cake, then cycled back.

alchemy

« Reply #241 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:54:45 pm »
I did my second ride since my stroke, yesterday.  It took me twice as long as it should have been, but wasn't as wobbly at my first ride was.  I did 35 miles which is no great distance, but it is a step towards better times.

I cycled from home to a nice little garden centre in Shipley and had a nice cup of tea and a cake, then cycled back.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #242 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:56:42 pm »
yep, 30 miles with the quick boys of the local tri club.  I hung on grimly for the last 25, but they dropped me with about a mile to go when I made the fatal error of eating something, then almost threw it back up again.

« Reply #243 on: 27 April, 2008, 02:07:40 pm »
Go Elleigh!  :D

And go Mike!  :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #244 on: 27 April, 2008, 02:15:32 pm »
60km, shorts weather here too,  :) but strong wind blowing (34mph gusts)  :(

First ride in new Hebridean Cycle Club kit which arrived on Thursday  :thumbsup:

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #245 on: 27 April, 2008, 02:16:12 pm »

well done Elliegh, good news  :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #246 on: 27 April, 2008, 02:31:01 pm »
That is great news Elleigh, well done.

« Reply #247 on: 27 April, 2008, 02:33:01 pm »
Elleigh, now thing can only get better well done :thumbsup:

annie

« Reply #248 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:46:59 pm »
Well done Elleigh.

I did go out on my bike for a nice pootle in the most superb company (thank you Jezza) :-*

Distance and speed, no idea and don't really care.  Tea and cake consumed, lots.  Lunch at Dunwich was wonderful.  Saw lots of cyclists and people out walking.  My nose is a little bit red.  I wore my Shimano sandals for the first time, yes I wore socks, yes they probably looked stupid, I don't care.

Is good to have you back Jezza, look forward to more rides.

The only problem now is that I need to wash and the boiler isn't working so we don't have any hot water. 

bobajobrob

« Reply #249 on: 27 April, 2008, 07:17:50 pm »
Glad to hear you're back on the bike Elleigh :thumbsup:

I went camping in Somerset with some friends from the local CTC. Yesterday we had a leisurely 80 mile ride that took in the Mendips, Cheddar Gorge, and the area south of there. We had the most wonderful fish and chips in Cheddar and stopped for tea in Glastonbury. Curry and beer at night and then a walk by coast this morning.