Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1605534 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14975 on: 10 August, 2022, 01:11:34 pm »
Just how does one request the lady of the house to stop interrupting you without it causing a flounce and slammed door? For clarity, I am trying to research the sourcing of paint to meet her requirements at a cost that will not excessive.

That's where you're going wrong, applying reason, JFDI, NOW!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14976 on: 10 August, 2022, 01:13:43 pm »
The lady of the house researches and buys the paint here...

« Reply #14977 on: 10 August, 2022, 01:15:01 pm »
Dear cow-orker, while I don't mind you wandering around holding a conversation on your fancy wireless headphones, please don't stand behind my desk to do it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14978 on: 15 August, 2022, 07:46:35 am »
Need to get on with the barn door today but it's 15h August, yet another pestiferous religious holiday when Thou Shalt Not Make A Noise.  The village is quiet as the tomb, bar a raven family bawling to each other chimney to chimney: nobody's abroad, not even a BFO tractor or a little shit on a moped. Nor yet a little shit on a BFO tractor.  I hope it's because everyone has a crushing hangover.  I WANT TO WORK.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #14979 on: 15 August, 2022, 10:58:25 am »
I’m liking the sound of France (or lack thereof). Here we have the Monday to Friday symphony of building works, other renovations and gardening. Then at the weekend we have the DIYers and their misguided adventures in home renovation.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14980 on: 15 August, 2022, 05:25:18 pm »
When are we going to be equipped with go gadget extendable legs, or jet packs? I've got a leaky gutter joint that shouldn't be rocket science to fix but it's located just out of reach of a)our ladder and b)the height I am comfortable being on a ladder at.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #14981 on: 15 August, 2022, 06:15:26 pm »
When are we going to be equipped with go gadget extendable legs, or jet packs? I've got a leaky gutter joint that shouldn't be rocket science to fix but it's located just out of reach of a)our ladder and b)the height I am comfortable being on a ladder at.

For similar reasons (well, he said he couldn't get a tower in, and the angles for ladders weren't conducive), we had to spaff an extra £350 on scaffolding for the roofer to fix the corner of our roof.

In other grumble news, I thought I'd take the first day of my holiday (before we get the train to parts foreign tomorrow) to check some tax things as I'm between accounting grown-ups (the last one retired). I'm pleased to now report that I am both in receipt of a £92 overpayment refund (a cheque, by golly) while simultaneously owing them £776 for underpayment. This is god's way of keeping tax accountants in employment.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14982 on: 15 August, 2022, 06:21:45 pm »

I'm not sure I'd trust go-go-gadget legs at any height I'd be uncomfortable at on a ladder, tbh.  They don't look all that strong, and are known to be a little bit unpredictable.  Weirdly - and this isn't something you say often - the jet pack seems like the safer option.

Possibly something the elephant could help with, when it's outgrown car-washing duties?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14983 on: 15 August, 2022, 09:01:02 pm »
You could presumably use a really strong elephant's trunk as a cherry picker if it were so inclined, that would be handy. Speaking of which I need to phone the fecking cavity wall insulation people AGAIN and rip them a new one find out if they are going to hire one or just sit on my money forever.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14984 on: 17 August, 2022, 11:09:08 am »
Oi. Schafernaker.1  Where's my thunder and lightning?  You been promising me thunder storms for days now.

1 chosen at random. Any other media meteorologist will do
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14985 on: 17 August, 2022, 03:31:26 pm »
They're here in not-currently-sunny E17.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14986 on: 17 August, 2022, 05:03:19 pm »
So you're probably not American. Neither am I. But the client is, so they want Usanian spellings, and it's really rather simple to switch the language setting to "English USA", which will then catch all those -ise endings.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14987 on: 18 August, 2022, 04:12:32 pm »
My sister sent MrsT a bouquet of lilies and roses for her birthday yesterday.  MrsT has them on the kitchen table 'coz "otherwise we won't see them all day".  The bloody lilies stink to high heaven, it's a wonder the parrot hasn't keeled over. :sick:  MrsT's sense of smell is vestigial.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14988 on: 18 August, 2022, 07:13:16 pm »
One of my new Veloce levers is buggered already. I only put them on around the turn of the year and it's not like I've done thousands of miles since then.  >:(

« Reply #14989 on: 19 August, 2022, 10:26:22 am »
Dear fellow residents:

You may not be aware, but there's a bin strike for the next two weeks. Yes, it sucks, but we all have to share the bins. I'm trying to minimise the amount of refuse I generate, on account of there being nowhere to actually put it. Just an idea.

So, do you think it's a good idea to fill the communal landfill bin with FURNITURE? Perfectly functional furniture which you could have donated to charity, or offered on Freecycle? >:(

(Reader, I retrieved it, like the feral bin-diver that I am. Now cleaned and offered on Freecycle...no doubt the selfish idiots will soon fill the bin again... :-\)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14990 on: 19 August, 2022, 10:42:50 am »
Dear fellow residents:

You may not be aware, but there's a bin strike for the next two weeks. Yes, it sucks, but we all have to share the bins. I'm trying to minimise the amount of refuse I generate, on account of there being nowhere to actually put it. Just an idea.

So, do you think it's a good idea to fill the communal landfill bin with FURNITURE? Perfectly functional furniture which you could have donated to charity, or offered on Freecycle? >:(

(Reader, I retrieved it, like the feral bin-diver that I am. Now cleaned and offered on Freecycle...no doubt the selfish idiots will soon fill the bin again... :-\)
This might not apply where you are, but it's student moving time. The furniture might not have been dumped by anyone who it belongs to but by a BTL landlord's doer-uppers.

« Reply #14991 on: 19 August, 2022, 11:05:14 am »
Dear fellow residents:

This might not apply where you are, but it's student moving time. The furniture might not have been dumped by anyone who it belongs to but by a BTL landlord's doer-uppers.

Could well be - plenty of students around here (oh the joys of city living...). Normally the landlords don't actually bother to throw stuff in the bins, though - they just dump it next to them. I could probably make a full-time job out of reporting fly tipping, overflowing bins, and the like... :-\

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14992 on: 19 August, 2022, 11:24:45 am »
Dear fellow residents:

Could well be - plenty of students around here (oh the joys of city living...). Normally the landlords don't actually bother to throw stuff in the bins, though - they just dump it next to them. I could probably make a full-time job out of reporting fly tipping, overflowing bins, and the like... :-\
Or a calendar to match Mr Larrington's Mattresses of Walthamstow and Kim's Fridges of Selly Oak.

« Reply #14993 on: 19 August, 2022, 11:29:37 am »
I'm aggrieved to find that my new £75 waterproof, worn once in the rain and twice just in case, has an actual hole in it rather than purely cosmetic scuffs.

Which are probably from LEL where it didn't get worn for a single moment.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #14994 on: 19 August, 2022, 11:58:53 am »
Why is it that manufacturers of performance nutrition make their powders and tabs to be dissolved in 500ml of water, and ALSO sell bottles that are 650ml in size?

Looking at you, Veloforte.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14995 on: 19 August, 2022, 12:50:22 pm »
Dear fellow residents:

Or a calendar to match Mr Larrington's Mattresses of Walthamstow and Kim's Fridges of Selly Oak.

While I'd love to be able to take the credit for the Mattresses of Walthamstow calendars they are the product of the Walthamstow Tourist Board, aka one Gemma Rigg.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #14996 on: 19 August, 2022, 12:51:24 pm »
Why is it that manufacturers of performance nutrition make their powders and tabs to be dissolved in 500ml of water, and ALSO sell bottles that are 650ml in size?

Sam

Because they only dissolve if you really vigorously shake the bottle. Needs some extra room to get that agitation.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14997 on: 19 August, 2022, 12:56:33 pm »

Sam

Because they only dissolve if you really vigorously shake the bottle. Needs some extra room to get that agitation.

Maybe for powders, but Nuun and SIS tablets dissolve very well.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ravenbait

« Reply #14998 on: 19 August, 2022, 01:16:26 pm »

Sam

Which would be fine if they put a 500ml marker on the bottle.

But they don't.

Sam
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

ravenbait

« Reply #14999 on: 19 August, 2022, 01:17:15 pm »

Sam

Maybe for powders, but Nuun and SIS tablets dissolve very well.

To be fair to Veloforte, not only do their powders taste revolting, they have bits in. So you probably do need the extra shake room.

Sam