Author Topic: Airless sprayers  (Read 1267 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Airless sprayers
« on: 23 June, 2020, 10:57:06 pm »
I need help. I’m talking myself around in circles here. Do you know anything about airless sprayers.

I need a spray gun to paint the outside of my house. It’s roughtcast and thus will be a total nightmare to paint any other way. The paint Dr Beardy has chosen* can be applied with an airless sprayer. So far so clear. But...

It looks like all reasonably priced airless sprayers are actually just cheap junk. Is that true, or is there one out there that’s reasonably priced that will do the job. Or do I just need to bite the bullet and spend the money. Or just rent one?

Any suggestions or guidance gratefully received.   
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Airless sprayers
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2020, 07:16:59 am »
No experience but I'm looking at these as well. Need to paint a ceiling that's high and pitched. Reviews of some of the HVAC ones seem OK. Outside of house is bigger though and airless my be better.
This might depend on what you consider reasonably priced against how often you need to repaint the house.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2020, 02:01:48 pm »
Hire one?

https://www.hirestation.co.uk/tool-hire/Building/Paint-Sprayer-Hire/

Now I want a "Tyrolean Flicker" just because that's an ace name for a machine.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2020, 07:12:46 pm »
I have a Earlex HVLP unit that I've had for 12 years. It's not bad for what it cost (£120 at the time) and certainly does the job. Bare in mind you'll need to do more coats but the finish can't be argued with.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2020, 07:22:42 pm »
The problem with spraying roughcast is getting any depth of paint on the surface as it has to be quite thin to spray in the first place. Not really recommended. Long pile roller and appropriate brush for margins. Dont forget making good, stabiliser and biocidal treatment if nesc. Yes it is like painting with syrup of figs but should stand you in good stead for 15 years plus.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2020, 09:19:59 pm »