Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
The Knowledge / My linear-pull brake arm had jammed outboard bearing
« Last post by SweatRash on Yesterday at 06:15:45 pm »

I think my linear-pull brake arms are some model of Tektro's Quartz range. One arm was very well jammed, so I loosened it on the canti boss...but it still wouldn't rotate. "Odd," I thought. On inspection, it isn't designed to rotate on the canti boss like every other brake v-brake and cantilever arm I've seen, since it has a solid pin that locates in the spring hole of the fork. To enable rotation,  it has a secondary sleeve bearing, the outer wall being brass or bronze and the inner is steel. It was corroded. I've managed to drift it out and clean it up, but what a pig of a job to drift out a somewhat thin-walled hollow steel tube without marking or damaging anything. I'm left wondering what the advantage of this design is, and is there a better way to seal or lubricate it so that this doesn't recur? If the machine screw head were the right diameter, the washer/dust cap could be removed, the bolt replaced in the canti boss, and the screw head used to pull the inner sleeve out cleanly, which might allow maintenance in the field.

Doesn't Kali Linux make you a dangerous h4xx0r?  You might as well wear a hoodie and light your room with a projector showing meaningless binary.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/02/14/silly_police_infosec_parental_advice_poster/
The Sporting Life / Re: County Cricket 2024
« Last post by Wowbagger on Yesterday at 06:06:03 pm »
The Lancashire 9 & 10 put up a good knock but Harmer came on and after being knocked for 4 first delivery, took a wicket with the second. 145-9.

And Lancs 146 all out.
The Knowledge / Re: Old steel-
« Last post by Ian H on Yesterday at 06:05:30 pm »
There's a curly Hetchins from the 30s going to auction on the 18th May.
https://www.chilcottsauctions.co.uk/auction-calendar/
Caption It / Re: Caption it #2080
« Last post by meddyg on Yesterday at 05:55:52 pm »
The Donald says

"Course in America, (and everything's bigger over here)
- our Wieners are ma-hoos-ive !"

The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Mobbsy on Yesterday at 05:55:25 pm »
Tending the Wrong Grave for 23 years - HMHB
If you are trying to recover files from an unreadable drive, than I'm not sure adding a Linux machine to the mix is going to help much.

If you install a fresh Win11 on a new SSD, then go ahead and do that.

Not sure what you mean when you say it 'doesn't work in the laptop but works in the caddy'.
You might need to explain exactly what you mean by that.

If it works in the caddy, then just plug the caddy into the freshly-installed machine as a secondary drive, and copy the files over?
The Pub / Re: Tune Association
« Last post by Pingu on Yesterday at 05:36:43 pm »
The Bones of You - Elbow
Online quizzes / Re: Squaredle
« Last post by Hot Flatus on Yesterday at 05:35:41 pm »
I played https://squaredle.com 04/19:
59/59 words (+17 bonus words)
📖 In the top 7% by bonus words
🔥 Solve streak: 4
Audax / Re: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200
« Last post by Lightning Phil on Yesterday at 05:34:41 pm »
I’ll be on my “green hornet” recumbent, yellow seat bag, orange bar tape, green (and yellow) windproof, plus  my new Cinelli cycling cap is coming out for its first outing.  Starting at 8am at earliest, or 8:30am if train shenanigans.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10