Author Topic: Inverness 1200  (Read 55982 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Inverness 1200
« on: 14 September, 2018, 04:38:28 pm »
I'd like to introduce the Inverness 1200 being held over the weekend of 05 - 09 July 2019. A few brief details:

Starting and finishing in the Lancashire seaside town of Lytham St. Anne's, the route heads north to Carlisle and into Scotland, to a control at Paisley at roughly 300 km where food/sleep arrangements are being made. There's a drop-bag to Paisley.

The route then follows a 600 km loop around central Scotland, passing through, or close to Inveraray; Oban; Inverness; Fort William and Glen Coe before returning to Paisley at about 900 km.

The 300 km south-bound route from Paisley back to Lytham is the exact reverse of the north-bound route.

Entry fee of £57.40 includes, but not limited to:

Brevet card with detailed route-sheet
3rd party insurance for UK-based participants
Breakfast on the morning of the event (Friday 05 July 2019)
Basic sleeping facilities; showers; food & drink at the Paisley control (roughly 300km & 900 km)
Bag drop from Lytham to Paisley
Breakfast on the morning after the event (Tuesday 09 July 2019)
Validation with AUK & LRM for successful riders
Commemorative water-bottle & medal
Any photograph's taken by the organiser during the event

There might be a commemorative event cycling jersey available for purcahse (typically £40 each) in the new year.

1200 km too far?

If you think you can't manage the 1200, perhaps try your hand at the Fort William 1000 which is being run con-currently. Both events start and finish at Lytham at the same time and more or less follow the same route to and from Fort William (see other YACF post for further information). Both events are run at the same speeds (13.3 - 30 kph).

Transfer of entries:

If, after you've already entered you decide you'd prefer to ride the Fort William 1000 instead, we'll transfer your entry from one event to the other free of charge up to anytime prior to the event start time (subject to the completion of a little bit more paperwork obtainable from the organiser).

Transfers won't be allowed after the event has started as this is against the original Audax ethos.

More information available on the event website:

https://burnleyccevents.com/inverness-1200-05-july-2019/

For the AUK calendar event webpage:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-585/

Good luck to anyone who decides to enter the event.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Inverness 1200

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Inverness 1200
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2018, 05:00:34 pm »
I know what some people will say but in many ways this appeals to me a *lot* more than PBP...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2 on: 14 September, 2018, 05:09:31 pm »
Its possible to do more then one 1200km in a year.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2018, 05:11:34 pm »
I know what some people will say but in many ways this appeals to me a *lot* more than PBP...

a lot more...  :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #4 on: 14 September, 2018, 06:11:14 pm »

In theory I'd love to do both, but if I had to choose... it wouldn't be an easy decision.

rob

« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:13:46 pm »
This looks great but I think I’ve already used my limited annual leave elsewhere.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2018, 07:32:36 pm »
Both definite possibles for next year :)

IMHO start/finish times are important, so I've added them below:

I'd like to introduce the Inverness 1200 being held over the weekend of 05 - 09 July 2019. A few brief details:

Starting and finishing in the Lancashire seaside town of Lytham St. Anne's, the route heads north to Carlisle and into Scotland, to a control at Paisley at roughly 300 km where food/sleep arrangements are being made. There's a drop-bag to Paisley.

<snip>

If you think you can't manage the 1200, perhaps try your hand at the Fort William 1000 which is being run con-currently. Both events start and finish at Lytham at the same time and more or less follow the same route to and from Fort William (see other YACF post for further information). Both events are run at the same speeds (13.3 - 30 kph).

1200km:
Date:Friday 5th July 2019
Time:08:00   to finish by + 02:00
(early Tuesday)

and I assume for the
1000:
Date:Friday 5th July 2019
Time:08:00   to finish by 11:00
(Monday)
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-586/
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:48:33 pm »
Looks like a lot of horrible busy main roads.

« Reply #8 on: 14 September, 2018, 09:21:19 pm »
These sound amazing. Are they new events?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2018, 11:27:43 pm »
Looks like a lot of horrible busy main roads.

A82 probably the worst bit, but given the timing Night Owls will get the best of it
Paisley to Inverary: 90, 95 and 97 km options
If you're going by the A82 and the Rest (90km) then there's the cycle path as far as the turn off for the Rest; and if at that time of night the rest's busy then you can always take to the old hillclimb track (and if that's in use as a road then you're under a convoy anyway)

Only one sensible route (20km more to go by lochgilphead) from Inverary to Oban; unless you're really quick or left it really late the A85 is all but deserted at night... unless there's timber lorries going around...

Oban to Corran you can go most of the way on the cycle path if you want, but there's never been all that much traffic when I've driven it.

Corran to Fort Bill... well I'd much rather use the ferries but good timing and it won't be a nightmare; bad timing and one of the nightmare creators will be in the loch as is their habbit

Fort Bill to inverness, you can keep off the A82 for a fair bit of it; right tyres and you can go all the way up the canal.

Glen Coe, been up it in Sunny and Soaking Bank Holiday traffic and in the depth of winter;

Crianlarich back down the A82 as far as tarbert, hm well yeah that's a pain, but it's probably going to be night time again by then.

I had a think through all that before entering the 1000

citoyen

« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2018, 01:34:10 pm »
Fort Bill to inverness, you can keep off the A82 for a fair bit of it; right tyres and you can go all the way up the canal.

The road along the south side of Loch Ness from Fort Augustus to Inverness is one of my favourite roads I’ve ever ridden - mainly for r the view over the loch when you turn the bend at the top of the climb. I’d go that way for preference.

« Reply #11 on: 15 September, 2018, 01:50:41 pm »
If you added the North Coast 500 to the equation, you'd come up with a 2,000 km ride. That might make an interesting permanent, starting from Preston Railway Station. The many variants of LEJOG would provide some guidance for routing.

Andy Corless

« Reply #12 on: 15 September, 2018, 03:04:48 pm »
"The road along the south side of Loch Ness from Fort Augustus to Inverness is one of my favourite roads I’ve ever ridden - mainly for r the view over the loch when you turn the bend at the top of the climb. I’d go that way for preference."

You'll have a choice of route between Fort Augustus and Inverness: either continuing on the A82 through Drumnadrochit; or taking the B862/B852 passing to the south side of Loch Ness. There's about 2 km difference. I suspect those riding on the day will opt for a circuit. Route instructions will be provided for both versions nearer the time.

Andy Corless

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #13 on: 16 September, 2018, 01:12:43 pm »

The road along the south side of Loch Ness from Fort Augustus to Inverness is one of my favourite roads I’ve ever ridden - mainly for r the view over the loch when you turn the bend at the top of the climb. I’d go that way for preference.

Bit of a climb up out of Fort Augustus if going that side on the way to Inverness; my main memory of it is from the Etape Loch Ness a few years ago where despite a lot of arm flicking I found myself on the front of a big train all the way to Fort Augustus, as we passed my Great Aunts old house at the foot of the climb a pack of midgets overtook me and shot up the hill.
I managed to catch and pass a few of them on the way back down.

Two of them redeemed themselves at the end by finding me and thanking me for the tow.

The hostel at Invergarry is decent enough, and the owner is a cyclist and coffee sorcerer; I say that but I can't stand the stuff so...
If the timing fits he may be worth contacting;

Although when it comes to riding Scotland's northern trunk roads; I'd rather ride them through the night, deserted.
On a ride across to Claoniag the other week I'm sure I was passed no more than 10 times between Comrie and Cladich; even got Glen Ogle to myself! And that was with all traffic for Fort William taking the Oban road due to roadworks on the Black mount.

Jay_70_One

• Condor Road Club
« Reply #14 on: 16 September, 2018, 06:02:47 pm »
I felt as though I should enter seeing as though I raised the thread on the Audax FB site. So I have... ;D
Don't die wondering...

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 16 September, 2018, 06:08:14 pm »
"The road along the south side of Loch Ness from Fort Augustus to Inverness is one of my favourite roads I’ve ever ridden - mainly for r the view over the loch when you turn the bend at the top of the climb. I’d go that way for preference."

You'll have a choice of route between Fort Augustus and Inverness: either continuing on the A82 through Drumnadrochit; or taking the B862/B852 passing to the south side of Loch Ness. There's about 2 km difference. I suspect those riding on the day will opt for a circuit. Route instructions will be provided for both versions nearer the time.

I guess a lot will depend on the time of day when you get to that point. At night, the main road along the north side of Loch Ness would probably be the preferable option.

Bit of a climb up out of Fort Augustus if going that side on the way to Inverness

That's half the fun of it - and you get the reward of the long descent down the other side.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2018, 06:13:20 pm »

I guess a lot will depend on the time of day when you get to that point. At night, the main road along the north side of Loch Ness would probably be the preferable option.
If getting run over is a preferable option. Cycling on the A82 is stupid.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 16 September, 2018, 06:35:49 pm »
On Mark's 1300 I did the Loch Ness (north side) A82 section through the night (got to Fort Bill around 3am - and I wasnt the only one!). Barely saw a car. More traffic would have helped me stay awake. No idea what it's like in daytime!

For those who haven't visited Loch Ness, the A82 is rather disappointing; there is virtually no view of the water (orthe hills above it) due to thick woods. I have wondered if this was deliberate to avoid distracting drivers.

On t'other hand/bank ...
Before the Dingwall Nat 400 (2014?) I rode down the south side from Inverness to well short of Fort Augustus. Gorgeous quiet road, but I remember a lot of ups-n-downs.

(Even nicer was the return leg of the loop  back to Inverness, further east/south than the Loch road. Strathnairn? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #18 on: 16 September, 2018, 10:35:22 pm »
On Mark's 1300 I did the Loch Ness (north side) A82 section through the night (got to Fort Bill around 3am - and I wasnt the only one!). Barely saw a car. More traffic would have helped me stay awake. No idea what it's like in daytime!

During the normal times considered to be daytime, just dinnae.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19 on: 16 September, 2018, 10:38:44 pm »
...Dingwall Nat 400 (2014?)...

Andy Corless

« Reply #20 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:33:17 am »
"If getting run over is a preferable option. Cycling on the A82 is stupid."

The route doesn't take the A82 much after Paisley but the A814 through Helensburgh; A83/A819 past Inveraray. It uses the A82 between Fort William and the Erskine Bridge for the return leg by which time the riders will be well spread. I've ridden on the A82 many times myself and haven't found it that bad.

Andy Corless

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #21 on: 17 September, 2018, 11:04:34 am »
What to do, what to do? So much choice and much easier to access now that I'm relocating to the mainland  ???

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 17 September, 2018, 01:02:08 pm »

In theory I'd love to do both, but if I had to choose... it wouldn't be an easy decision.

Well, my work schedule for 2019 makes PBP very possible and this 1200 impossible, so that pretty much makes the decision for me.

I'll have to find some other excuse to get up to Scotland instead...

« Reply #23 on: 17 September, 2018, 08:24:43 pm »

The hostel at Invergarry is decent enough, and the owner is a cyclist and coffee sorcerer; I say that but I can't stand the stuff so...
If the timing fits he may be worth contacting;

Any bothy's nearby?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #24 on: 17 September, 2018, 08:30:52 pm »
If you added the North Coast 500 to the equation, you'd come up with a 2,000 km ride. That might make an interesting permanent, starting from Preston Railway Station. The many variants of LEJOG would provide some guidance for routing.
I rode the NC 500 this year and it is not easy. Also accommodation and food options are far apart and with the popularity of the NC 500 I would get booking NOW. We stayed in the Drumbeg hotel and the owner said they were already taking bookings for the following July. I would also consider doing the central highlands after the NC500 with the Lecht and Cairnwell on the road south before Perth after Inverness.

When I rode this in the summer the sun was unbroken and the problem was the heat. This may never be repeated.

Great idea. After the NC 500 I planned to ride back home to Reading and only managed Goole before catching the train. I was cooked.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.