Author Topic: PBP qualifiers - don't enter too many?  (Read 2828 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
PBP qualifiers - don't enter too many?
« on: 14 October, 2022, 03:13:51 pm »
I think I saw a comment on one of the threads about playing nicely and not blocking up multiple qualifiers just in case, leaving others not able to book many.

How many BRMs would be too many? I'm hoping to keep 2x rrrty going, but obviously all events in the spring are PBP qualifiers, so is it just the longer ones we shouldn't be greedy with? there seem be to be ample 200s for everyone

Eddington  127miles, 170km

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: PBP qualifiers - don't enter too many?
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2022, 08:35:05 pm »
I took it more as:  only enter rides with a proper/100%-barring-acts-of-$deity intention of turning up. 
It's to avoid the situation where people want to enter but the ride is theoretically full, and then on the day it's only half full 'cos the other half of entrants didn't turn up having already completed an x00, and are thus depriving others of the opportunity.
ymmv
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2022, 08:48:09 pm »
I took it more as:  only enter rides with a proper/100%-barring-acts-of-$deity intention of turning up. 
It's to avoid the situation where people want to enter but the ride is theoretically full, and then on the day it's only half full 'cos the other half of entrants didn't turn up having already completed an x00, and are thus depriving others of the opportunity.
ymmv

I think that's fair.

I think not showing up for a ride you've entered is bad form.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2022, 10:50:57 pm »
As above, but I'd also guess this is true:

so is it just the longer ones we shouldn't be greedy with? there seem be to be ample 200s for everyone
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2022, 12:50:21 pm »

so is it just the longer ones we shouldn't be greedy with? there seem be to be ample 200s for everyone
It's still bloody irritating when riders just don't turn up.  I'm wondering whether to refuse entries from those who've DNSed without apologies in previous of my events.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2022, 07:53:24 am »

It's still bloody irritating when riders just don't turn up.  I'm wondering whether to refuse entries from those who've DNSed without apologies in previous of my events.

Yeah I wasn't thinking of booking rides I didn't intend to ride,  just booking a couple of events each month,  to keep 2x rrtr going and other reasons.

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2022, 07:20:48 pm »
To your question: that soundsa very subjective comment. One could also argue it’s first come first served. If you want to book rides, go for it. Give the organiser ample notice if you cannot make the ride.

Tangent: Maybe a worthwhile website feature would be an ability to cancel your entry? Up to organiser to use the feature. Make it more formal rather than cluttering inboxes.

My advice to newcomers: don’t leave qualifying late, you may have entered a late 600 which for whatever reason you could not make in the end, and then there are no spaces left on the last 600 of the season.

« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2022, 07:49:44 pm »
2nd tip, for all those living near ferry harbours, check the BRM's offered at the other end of the ferry, that may give you some extra options.
For Dutch and Belgian events there are even special threads overhere.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2022, 08:11:16 pm »
To your question: that soundsa very subjective comment. One could also argue it’s first come first served. If you want to book rides, go for it. Give the organiser ample notice if you cannot make the ride.

Tangent: Maybe a worthwhile website feature would be an ability to cancel your entry? Up to organiser to use the feature. Make it more formal rather than cluttering inboxes.

My advice to newcomers: don’t leave qualifying late, you may have entered a late 600 which for whatever reason you could not make in the end, and then there are no spaces left on the last 600 of the season.

To my surprise,  I found there is a withdraw from event button on the website,  when I managed to double book myself before checking all my ride dates.

« Reply #9 on: 22 October, 2022, 04:28:12 pm »
To my surprise,  I found there is a withdraw from event button on the website,  when I managed to double book myself before checking all my ride dates.
Yes, but does that just delete from the Audax UK 'entered' list you can 'see', or does it communicate your intent not, after all, to start to the organiser? [I don't know, but hoping someone on here will.]

« Reply #10 on: 22 October, 2022, 05:00:34 pm »
Yes, but does that just delete from the Audax UK 'entered' list you can 'see', or does it communicate your intent not, after all, to start to the organiser? [I don't know, but hoping someone on here will.]

Marks the rider as DNS on organiser start list.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #11 on: 23 October, 2022, 01:45:55 am »

I would hope that "withdraw" would not be considered to be synonymous to "delete"

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #12 on: 23 October, 2022, 01:48:08 am »

Is this something they know when it happens, or do they have to go looking for a start list? I can imagine this not handing very often.

Also many events have a stated capacity, I assume the website blocks entries once this limit is reached,  and would hope withdrawing frees up the place fur another entrant

« Reply #13 on: 23 October, 2022, 08:37:16 am »

Is this something they know when it happens, or do they have to go looking for a start list? I can imagine this not handing very often.

Also many events have a stated capacity, I assume the website blocks entries once this limit is reached,  and would hope withdrawing frees up the place fur another entrant

The rider is marked dns on rider start list for event

« Reply #14 on: 23 October, 2022, 10:09:07 am »
Also many events have a stated capacity, I assume the website blocks entries once this limit is reached ...

I don't think it does, but it would be a nice feature to have

« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2022, 05:02:27 pm »
Also many events have a stated capacity, I assume the website blocks entries once this limit is reached ...
I suggest this (auto-close entries when a specified maximum is reached) is a 'feature' that is best left under human (organiser) control.

« Reply #16 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:24:46 pm »

In effect an organiser can close an event once an event is maxed out.

The problem some have is whether to overbook in the knowledge that a proportion will not show up on the day - even when the weather is fair! In PBP years this is really hard to predict (especially later in each qualifying window). 

And on popular rides a few days warning of a DNS means that the place can very often be taken by someone else.

On London Wales London I'm deliberately offering a partial refund to people who signed up if they drop out early; I find that when we get to the end of January people's plans have changed or fitness isn't coming in at quite the right pace so I normally expect to start offering waiting list places to people.

The Bare Bones 400 won't have a limit on numbers - it's near the end of the 400 qualifying window so no one needs to miss out because of a shortages of 400's.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #17 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:30:52 pm »
The problem with it not auto closing is when you're have a hard set limit for any reason and 50 people sign up while you're at work and can't stop it.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #18 on: 24 October, 2022, 07:34:39 pm »
I am pretty sure closing off entry at a specified number is on the list of features for the new organisers and events system.

« Reply #19 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:23:44 pm »
It mostly tends to be TLC events like LWL that limit numbers.  Enter any x rated PBP qualifier and it’s very unlikely you are going to stop someone else entering, as it’s full.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 25 October, 2022, 01:49:46 pm »
It mostly tends to be TLC events like LWL that limit numbers.  Enter any x rated PBP qualifier and it’s very unlikely you are going to stop someone else entering, as it’s full.

If I'm reselling notified DNS places then the limit function of EntryCentral is handy as I can just reenable the event, punt an e-mail out to those that have asked if they could have a last minute entry and not worry about selling 6 places when I only have 5 cards freed up.
Local factors may also limit capacity on an X rated event, like one if mine I'm sending people off from a bit of grass by the road behind my house, there's a small car park in the village and not much else so to save pissing the neeburs off too much...