Author Topic: Inverness 1200  (Read 55978 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Re: Inverness 1200
« Reply #250 on: 08 July, 2019, 08:54:15 am »
3 riders have made it back to Lytham so far. 20+ riders still going!

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #251 on: 08 July, 2019, 08:46:37 pm »
Over 84-hours gone and still over half the field yet to arrive back into Lytham. Most riders have given favourable comments about the route.

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #252 on: 09 July, 2019, 02:04:38 am »
24 riders have finished the inaugural Inverness 1200!

Andy Corless

« Reply #253 on: 09 July, 2019, 09:15:18 am »
Stunning scenery. Looking across the lochs to the mountains(?) the other side, I coulda been looking at the Norwegian fjords. The climb up to Rannoch moor was slow and steady, but well worth it for the views (and the descent). Chatted to unfamiliar audaxers along the way, but did a lot of solo riding (easier to stop and take pics/vids). It was good to start the ride with team mate Justin (thanks for the lift, and for leaving me stranded in Lytham 😉), and finish it with Rob. A puncture in each tyre made me wish I’d done my usual preparation of new tyres, brake blocks, chain and cassette on rides of 1000km plus, especially as I spent an age playing catch up with Rob (another Genesis rider).

Many thanks to the helpers (and to Andy) who have converted me to Batchelors pasta with  cheese and broccoli sauce.

The results are in: 86 hours start to finish, minus 2 hours Paisley sleep, 1 hour disabled toilet, and maybe 2 1/2 hours Paisley again, minus 56 1/2 hours cycling, leaves 24 hours of eating, drinking, sitting around chatting, taking pics, and faffing. The Straggler thinks I faff too much?!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #254 on: 09 July, 2019, 05:26:24 pm »
In awe of you all

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #255 on: 09 July, 2019, 07:01:19 pm »
The Straggler thinks I faff too much?!

Interesting stats - from the 29.5 hours time spent off the bike with say total 14 controls and with 1 hour duration at each, and say 4 hours spent mini breaks inbetween controls including mechanical issues, this gives potential 11 hours sleep time. I would have grabbed 2x4 hours at Paisley control and 3 hours somewhere in/near Inverness. How I sometimes envy faster folk having the greater opportunity to get extra sleep hours. I know this sounds all well in theory but in practice it is probably somewhat different.

Oggy and myself only managed 2x2 hours sleep at Paisley and 2x15min micro snoozes in bus shelters for the Fort William ride, but I needed 11 hours coma sleep back at scout hall finish in Lytham....

I should add my gratitude to Andy for the organisation the events, all the helpers at the controls and to Fife for providing valuable local knowledge. This is only my second time on a bike in Scotland and absolutely enjoyed the experience. Best control for me was having a full Scottish breakfast at Inveraray.

CCS - Setting the Standards

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #256 on: 09 July, 2019, 08:19:52 pm »
Bikeabilityman, on your comment about Norwegian fjords.
If you look at the OS mapping you'll see a mix of names for the sea Lochs and channels.

There are Sounds and Firths, Lochs and Kyle's.

Despite losing the battle of Largs in the 13th century and thus ceeding the kingdom of the Isles and Mann to the Scottish Crown, their language is still imprinted in the geography, the gaels who lived in the Isles took the norse into their language when they felt like it*.

Sound (sund) and Firth (Fjord) are Norse. Kyle (Caol) and Loch are Celtic.

For the same reason you'll fine Dail used when you would expect glen particularly on Lewis and Harris.

The far north and Orkney is different as that was the Jarl of Orkney, straight from Norn to Scots, and Shetland was part of Norway proper. The Danish King lost them when the Stuarts created an impossible situation in Scotland's favour.

*or at least it seems like it

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #257 on: 09 July, 2019, 11:43:32 pm »
Norse men intermarried with the local Gaelic-speaking women. Inevitably, the children grew up speaking Gaelic. However, the vocabulary surrounding seafaring remained Norse, as the women weren't involved in that. The most obvious landmark mountains tend to have Norse, or hybrid names, as they were used for navigation.

« Reply #258 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:28:24 am »
All thanks to Andy and assistants - the route was just the right blend of challenge and prettiness. I had possibly my only enjoyable puncture, sitting on the side of a loch idly changing the inner tube and looking out at the scenery. The scout hut/building/complex at Lytham was also great to somewhat sleep it off at the end.

Surprisingly, I now also have an A road I'd say is beautiful - the A82 stretch by the side of the water on the way to Inverness was breathtaking.

Congratulations to all.

Andy Corless

« Reply #259 on: 12 July, 2019, 04:32:19 pm »
With the dust now settling I'd like to thank all those who entered and took part in the inaugural Inverness 1200 km Audax event that took place last weekend, and congratulations to the 24 successful riders.

This was a 1229 km route, ran over the weekend of 05 - 09 July 2019.

After a rapid start through the Lancashire Fylde, the riders headed north up the A6 into Scotland; passing through Dumfries & Galloway before cutting across South Lanarkshire to a control at Paisley at about 320 km.

Day 2, after crossing the Erskine Bridge, would see the riders heading into the Highlands with a climb over "Rest and be Thankful" on the way to Oban. A main-road run following the A82 followed, offering most riders spectacular views of Ben Nevis and the Great Glen!

The return leg cut out Oban and instead sent the riders from Glen Coe over Rannoch Moor, most of which the riders surprisingly enjoyed, before returning to Paisley.

The final 300+ km was essentially a reverse of the first stage.

Overall, I think the event was a success. The only issue was the control at Paisley; part of which had been sold off only the week previously preventing us from using some of the facilities (most unhelpful)! There were no reportable accidents.

I'd especially like to thank all the helpers at both Paisley and Lytham who put in 101% effort to make the event a success, and without whose help the event would not have been possible including: Helen & Geoff Pearce who helped out at Paisley and Andy Willis who helped out at Lytham.

Once again, congratulations to the 24 successful riders and commiserations to those that didn't make it this time. It's better to try and fail than to not try at all!

Many riders have posted photos and ride reports on Facebook and some of the links are attached below:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/audaxuk/

Riders travelled from as far as Wales; Scotland; London; Devon; Ireland; Netherlands; Germany; USA and Japan in order to participate.

The event will next run in 2021, probably over the weekend of 02 - 06 July and will see some tweaks to the route.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Inverness 1200

Andy Corless

« Reply #260 on: 02 June, 2021, 11:53:57 pm »
The date for the 2021 edition has now been set for 11-15 September 2021.

The event will start in the Lancashire town of Bispham, about 3 miles north of Blackpool.

Start: Bispham, Lancashire
Date: Saturday 11 September 2021
Time: 10:00.

There'll be a manned control up at Inverness and a drop bag to Scotland. Bag will be returned to Bispham ready for collection on arrival.

More details on the event website:

https://burnleyccevents.com/inverness-1200-05-july-2019/

Hopefully, things will be more or less back to normal before then??

Looking forward to seeing you there. 2022 edition set for: 25-29 September 2022.

Andy Corless
Organiser
Inverness 1200

« Reply #261 on: 03 June, 2021, 10:21:51 am »
Hi Andy,

I see on your website you'll be running the Ft. Bill 1000 too. Will this be published on the AUK calendar as well soon? I was wondering if it will be a BRM event. I can't see it in ACP's calendar.

Inverness 1200
« Reply #262 on: 20 August, 2021, 03:46:17 pm »
Hi Andy,

Had an email earlier this week on Monday. Showing stage 1 of Inverness 1200. Not had anymore stages. Please advise if they have sent.

Was looking to book a b&b along the route. Any suggestions well.

Thanks
Indy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Corless

« Reply #263 on: 20 August, 2021, 10:56:49 pm »
I'm hoping to have the final event info' and GPS tracks emailed to all the entrants in about 10-12 days time. There's been a few changes to the planned route but it's just about there. Last week's email was just ensuring that the GPS tracks could be downloaded and worked which they appear to do so.

Still not too late to enter. More details on event website (see link below).

https://burnleyccevents.com/inverness-1200-05-july-2019/

Andy Corless
Organiser
Inverness 1200

« Reply #264 on: 04 September, 2021, 05:33:02 pm »
Hi Andy.

Thanks for the provisional routes. Feels a lot better after looking at the route.

Just a bit nervous though. So thought I would ask. Arriving on Friday evening and booked a local b&b close by.

But I was wandering if anyone fancied riding in a group. It’s a long way and wouldn’t mind some company. 

Thanks

Indi

« Reply #265 on: 09 September, 2021, 10:16:54 pm »
Hi

I tried loading 21-585 to e-brevet. Getting error
No brevet loaded.

Anyone able to load successfully.

Regards
Indi

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #266 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:11:09 am »
This event is not set up for e-brevet, it's not in the event list on eb.audax.uk

« Reply #267 on: 10 September, 2021, 08:41:26 am »
Good luck to all those who roll out tomorrow.

« Reply #268 on: 13 September, 2021, 02:48:12 pm »
Hi Andy,

I’ve had to accident the spoke on rear wheel broke. I’m by crianlarich 15 miles. 

Please tell lee and the gang I’m ok

See you next year.

Indi

« Reply #269 on: 16 September, 2021, 06:36:04 pm »
Hi Andy,

I’ve had to accident the spoke on rear wheel broke. I’m by crianlarich 15 miles. 

Please tell lee and the gang I’m ok

See you next year.

Indi

Hello Indi. Good to meet you and thanks for the great company during the first half of the ride. Hope that you managed to get home safely. See you up the road again soon.

Lee

« Reply #270 on: 16 September, 2021, 06:44:11 pm »
Hi Lee

Andy Saïd you went back on the train. I hope it was a pleasant journey. My apologies for not been able to give you a lift back. You was right in saying let’s see.

It was a real lesson. A eye opener if you pardon the pun. 

The gods were against me I suppose.

Thanks managed to hitch hike a ride back to Glasgow and then train back to bispham.

Andy Corless

« Reply #271 on: 21 October, 2021, 11:01:01 pm »
I had a couple of emails last weekend inquiring whether or not the Inverness 1200 will run next year. The date for the 2022 edition is set for 25-29 September 2022,  with a new start/finish in the Lancashire town of Clitheroe.

Start: Clitheroe, Lancashire
Date: Sunday 25 September 2022
Time: 08:00.

The route will now be a counter clockwise circuit passing through the Yorkshire Dales National Park and eventually over Devil Beef's Tub to cross the Forth Road Bridge north of Edinburgh. It's then over the Lecht before the new run into Inverness probably avoiding the A9. I'm investigating a new control just to the north of Inverness. The return leg follows the A82 to Crianlarich before a new route around Stirling avoiding the busier Stretch of the A82 around Luss.

The provisional GPS track here:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37502507

There'll be a manned control up at Inverness with a drop bag to Scotland. Bag will be returned to Clitheroe ready for collection on arrival.

More details on the event website:

https://burnleyccevents.com/

Andy Corless
Organiser
Inverness 1200

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #272 on: 22 October, 2021, 08:42:19 pm »
Oohsha, dinnae ken whit's gonnae gie fowk yon feardies mair, the lecht oan 500k fae cobridge, or gang thru Kelty an Hull o Beath.

Looks quite good... Checks off route distance to get a sleep in my own bed...

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #273 on: 19 June, 2022, 10:21:41 pm »
Starting to work out Logistics, I also need a 1300, I've worked out a 100km ride to Clitheroeish from Leeds or 130km from York, it is hilly... but there will be 18 hours to do it in if my calculator button bashing is correct.
This is also handy because getting down the East coast is often much cheaper than going down the West.

« Reply #274 on: 20 August, 2022, 10:22:50 pm »
Looking at the route I see it goes on the dual carriageway A9 for about 35 miles into Inverness, that's a motorway in all but name, could be dodgy in mist or rain which is not uncommon, it's the bit that is really making think twice about this ride. I can't see any alternatives though.