Author Topic: Inverness 1200  (Read 55977 times)

Re: Inverness 1200
« Reply #50 on: 08 November, 2018, 07:19:20 am »
There is a branch line from Preston to Blackpool South calling at Ansdell and St Annes on Sea, both a couple of miles from Lytham, depending on where the HQ is sited.There are a few hotels in Lytham (not cheap) a bigger choice in St Annes or the south end of Blackpool. The cycle ride from Preston station to Lytham is quite simple, some bike path,and a quiet country route a good option,a decent hours flat ride.

Let me rephrase the question slightly: Is there a train station within 40 miles of the start that has direct trains to either Newcastle or Hull?

(And thanks for the hotel suggestions.)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #51 on: 08 November, 2018, 09:48:00 am »
"Let me rephrase the question slightly: Is there a train station within 40 miles of the start that has direct trains to either Newcastle or Hull?"

If you're travelling on the train to Blackpool you're very likely to go through Preston. There is some information on "How to get to the start" on the event website at: https://burnleyccevents.com/inverness-1200-05-july-2019/

You can try www.nationalrail.co.uk for rail itineraries.

Hope this is of help!

Andy Corless

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 08 November, 2018, 10:31:57 am »
(I'm mainly a user of trains in the South, but I'll chip-in anyway - hopefully Northeners can correct me!)

I think Preston is the best-connected station nearby. A little further away (60-70 miles) gets you to Bradford or Manchester. (the routes from there would probably be hilly or urban, respectively). Sadly Preston is on the main North-South line, so it's great from London, but not so good from Newcastle/Hull.

[ I looked at this map to get an idea of the main routes:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/OfficialNationalRailmapsmall.jpg ]

Sadly the only way to find direct trains for certain is to play with the timetable site - and I think you've already done that!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #53 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:11:00 am »
Bit more detail on this map, but doesn't show where services actually run...
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/images/structure/css/nationalrailnetworkmap.pdf

'ull looks most appropriate in that there's a line right across to Blackpool, but a quick search says that unsurprisingly the trains needed are
Hull -> Leeds  (TPE, bikes need booked)
Leeds -> Preston  (Northern, No bike bookings so no the whim of the guard/conductor and the spaces being available)
Preston -> Blackpool South (also Northern)

From Newcastle
Newcastle -> CArlisle (Northern)
Carlisle -> Preston (VT West Coast - space needs booked)
Preston ->Blackpool South (northern)

hm reminds me need to sort out travel to Yorkshire Grit...

« Reply #54 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:46:58 am »
Thanks for all the detailed suggestions: the railway map will be useful for other UK holidays. I guess Newcastle-Carlisle-Preston is then my best option.

« Reply #55 on: 08 November, 2018, 02:50:28 pm »
Are many riders doing the 1200?  Its seems a lot more are talking about the 1000.  Are there any reasons for this (apart from the obvious extra miles)?  There's obviously some incentives in reaching Inverness (greater variety of sleep opps, etc)....

It's funny that you would have thought with a name like McDonalds the fast food chain would be open 24 hours in places like Inverness ;)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #56 on: 08 November, 2018, 03:16:38 pm »
"Are many riders doing the 1200?"

There's about 60 entries for the 1200 and 75 for the 1000. Baring in mind that some riders who fail to qualify/can't ride PBP might want to ride the 1200 in order to claim various AUK/ACP awards.

Andy Corless

« Reply #57 on: 11 November, 2018, 06:38:49 pm »
Anyone here planning to ride the 1000 and PBP?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #58 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:26:57 pm »

Yes, there's over a month between them, reckoned that would be enough recovery and also a good indicator of how I'll cope... or make me realize that I'd better adjust my bookings to make use of the ferries for a late august cycle tour in northern france...

« Reply #59 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:44:45 pm »

Yup that's the plan for me, with a few DIY 200's thrown in betwixt to keep the legs turning.

« Reply #60 on: 11 November, 2018, 10:39:43 pm »
Ok, good to know. Cheers.

« Reply #61 on: 12 November, 2018, 03:03:12 pm »
Well I have bitten the bullet  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

« Reply #62 on: 13 November, 2018, 07:54:34 am »
I’m in. Hoping I get a mattress/bed and better sleep 😴 than I did on MP2016 😔
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #63 on: 22 November, 2018, 04:43:03 pm »
I entered the 1000 but thought sod it, lets go for fr the 1200 so my plan is as this

AirBNB the night before

Lytham to Paisley - 305km - 5th July - sleep over on stop but I have awful trouble sleeping !! must remeber to put a quilt in something ?

Paisley to Inverness - 264km - 6th July
booked Crown house Inverness

Inverness- Paisley - 264km - 7th July
Same as route there quickest most direct way but wait for Andy's plan

Paisley to Lytham - 305km - 8th July - stagger back and Premier inn booked !

sounds so simple eh ?? ha ha reading the thread seems a few variations on the route avoid A82 but is that really necessary as I travel fast dual carriageways to work every day !

Can not wait

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #64 on: 22 November, 2018, 05:19:58 pm »
seems a few variations on the route avoid A82 but is that really necessary as I travel fast dual carriageways to work every day !

If the A82 was a fast dual carriageway it would probably be fine... it's the fact that the points of concern are busy narrow twisty single carriageway roads and its people's ability to stuff their vehicles into the surroundings and other vehicles that's the problem! 

I can't find AADT or KSI stats right now but the reality of roads outwith the central belt, midland valley and Mearns is that some days they are nose to tail crawls and on other days they are deserted.
And so can be anywhere between a pleasure to ride on (the A85 at night or on a drizzly wednesday morning is fantastic for making progress) or an absolutely nightmare (A hot and Sunny Holiday Monday)

For the A82 the specific bits of concern are from Alexandria to Tarbert which is a slightly shorter route to the rest and be thankful than going road the coast from Helensburgh, which I've ridden at 3pm on a distinctly average Wednesday and hated (there is a NMU route on that section though) and from Fort William to Ballaculish; the rest is pretty much deserted most of the time as the AADT stats given for the Crianlarich Bypass (the only place you're likely to be heading for on the A82 after tarbert) are around 3000.

Depending on how the A9 dualling work is getting on may also affect the A82's traffic volumes as that's looking at very long sections of roadworks which may divert some tourists up the A82 that would otherwise take the A9 route.

Also don't forget the "Private Frazer" element of this...

Stats I've found
AADT stats  for the A82 Corran Ferry to Lochybridge are 8800 vehicles a day , that's annual average so summer and a nice day in summer are considerably high to make up for the low traffic in winter.
A82 is "more dangerous" than the A9
https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/A82-twice-as-bad-as-A9-for-crashes-07102016.htm

« Reply #65 on: 22 November, 2018, 05:29:47 pm »
thanks for that and as a novice in that area then I will have to see Andy's route and then decide how he tackles it (or not). Plenty of time for that !

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #66 on: 22 November, 2018, 05:55:04 pm »
When it comes to holidays
That weekend doesn't show as either Scottish Bank or Local Holiday for any of the councils.

Of the start dates of School holidays I checked only Aberdeen start their holidays that weekend, so it's likely that the mad rush to the airports and highlands will also be over (the discrepancy with the English holidays mean it's way cheaper to go away the first few weeks).

It'll probably be dreich anyway so the roads will be great!.

« Reply #67 on: 22 November, 2018, 06:39:36 pm »
Quote from: FifeingEejit

It'll probably be dreich anyway so the roads will be great!.

Wet is better for me then hot !

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #68 on: 22 November, 2018, 06:52:05 pm »

But both is better still.
What are you up to tonight?

Oh, sorry! Wrong Forum. Plz ignore. As you were!

« Reply #69 on: 22 November, 2018, 08:10:48 pm »

But both is better still.
What are you up to tonight?

Oh, sorry! Wrong Forum. Plz ignore. As you were!

don't you have apps for that  ;D

« Reply #70 on: 23 November, 2018, 11:36:08 am »
fr the 1200 so my plan is as this
AirBNB the night before
Lytham to Paisley - 305km - 5th July - sleep over on stop but I have awful trouble sleeping !! must remeber to put a quilt in something ?
Paisley to Inverness - 264km - 6th July
booked Crown house Inverness
Inverness- Paisley - 264km - 7th July
Same as route there quickest most direct way but wait for Andy's plan
Paisley to Lytham - 305km - 8th July - stagger back and Premier inn booked !
sounds so simple eh ?? ha ha reading the thread seems a few variations on the route
Rough distances will be:
Lytham St Anne's > Paisley 324km
Paisley > Inverness 323km
Inverness > Paisley 274km
Paisley > finish 324km
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28872782?beta=false

« Reply #71 on: 23 November, 2018, 01:26:47 pm »
thats though Ride GPS shows 974 for some reason so that is more than manageable and still get some decent sleep

« Reply #72 on: 23 November, 2018, 03:01:34 pm »
I'll always have fond memories of my JOGLE back in 2013 where the route took us along the A82 through Glencoe en route to Glasgow from Fort William.  If it was good enough for Mr. Bond in Skyfall it was good enough for us, although I have to admit it was a bit hairy ascending the Glencoe Pass in the middle of Monday morning rush hour (thanks for that Deloitte).

Tragically, Sally Preece, one of the riders in our group during my LEJOG the following year were killed along one of the sections of the A85 near Killin so we all ended up being prevented from continuing our ride that day and missed riding most of this section - much to our disappointment but knew it was for the right reasons.

Still - I'm looking forward to returning to one of my favourite landscapes next July....

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #73 on: 23 November, 2018, 03:06:31 pm »
thats though Ride GPS shows 974 for some reason so that is more than manageable and still get some decent sleep

It doesn't include Paisley to LSA, presumably as it's the same roads as LSA to Paisley.

« Reply #74 on: 23 November, 2018, 04:39:31 pm »

It doesn't include Paisley to LSA, presumably as it's the same roads as LSA to Paisley.

Ok thanks !!