Author Topic: Women-only audaxes  (Read 26617 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • Pudge controls the weather.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
Re: Women-only audaxes
« Reply #400 on: 02 June, 2021, 02:10:19 pm »
It's obvious enough.  I'm surprised you felt the need to point it out to me - or am I not allowed to comment?  I was certainly not being either misunderstanding or dismissive.  I don't do this behaviour, the women in the office do.  But that doesn't mean I think all women do or that all men don't.

I'm not sure where I gave the impression you weren't allowed to comment, or that I was attacking you personally, especially as I quoted you saying women might feel threatened.

There have been other posters on this thread who have been dismissive, and some men like to jump on observations such as yours to minimise the impact of men objectivising and passing comment on women by saying, "women do this too." They do, and they shouldn't, and I wouldn't accept it in my working environment.

But I was attempting to elucidate, for any men who might read this and not understand what the big deal is or why women might feel threatened, why "She's well fit!" is anger-inducing rather than just a shoddy pun to be dismissed as dodgy advertising. The impact on men of women doing this to men is different from the impact on women of men doing this to women.

It was an elaboration of one of the points you made, not me having a go at you.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #401 on: 02 June, 2021, 02:23:20 pm »
That's all fine, Sam.

I only referred to the pun and Cycling UK the way I did because I've actually had correspondence with Cycling UK in the past about bad puns - though, truth to tell, not offensive ones!

All the best

Peter

« Reply #402 on: 02 June, 2021, 02:57:43 pm »
I've been on the receiving end of persistent 'grab ass'.

I had to tell the person that, while I wasn't offended, if I did that to someone, I would be (rightfully) sacked.

The person groping me was a man.

I've heard horrible stories from my daughters and my wife about similar instances.

The significant difference was that, for me, if I really objected, I could follow that up with physically defending myself (it was one individual).

For my daughters and wife; not only couldn't they have physically fended off a man, it was often a group.

I have known two men who were raped. By groups of men.

There is a common theme here, and it is gender.

I've been on the receiving end of lewd or suggestive comments from women (drunk and sober). But that is all; comments. And when I rebuffed the advances? Either laughter, or embarrassed retreat (by all parties).

Men?
When my step-daughter refused to get in a car with some men, they screamed insults at her and tried to drag her into the car.

Three times I've had to intervene when a woman has been fleeing violence, or been at the receiving end of violence.

The common reaction of some (significant proportion) men, when rebuffed (sexually or socially), is to get physical. Men do it to men. And they do it women.
<i>Marmite slave</i>