Author Topic: Bivvying Tonight?  (Read 14061 times)

Re: Bivvying Tonight?
« Reply #50 on: 05 May, 2021, 06:54:38 am »
Scapula-Scapula: 18cm
Outside edges: ~49cm

It was a thick mat (Exped 9cm) thobut, normally it’d be the Soloist tent (for colder times), which has more room - I’ll see what a Cloudbase (5cm) fits/feels like when it turns up...bivvy somewhere on the way to Peak District end Sept.

How did you get on with the Cloudbase mat?
Never knowingly under caffeinated

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #51 on: 08 May, 2021, 08:06:25 am »
It was fine, didn’t sleep any different / notice any less comfort - but then we rarely get consecutive sub-X degree days for an extended comparison ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #52 on: 19 May, 2021, 01:13:00 pm »
Not tonight, but last week.

Had dinner as normal with the rest of the clan and then set out for an overnighter up to the Otterburn Rangers in Northumbria.  Brilliant night for a bivvy, clear starry sky and surprisingly mild, though I was woken in the night by an inquisitive sheep.

IMG_20210510_050129446 by Joe B, on Flickr

« Reply #53 on: 19 May, 2021, 04:11:30 pm »
Not tonight, but last week.

Had dinner as normal with the rest of the clan and then set out for an overnighter up to the Otterburn Rangers in Northumbria.  Brilliant night for a bivvy, clear starry sky and surprisingly mild, though I was woken in the night by an inquisitive sheep.

IMG_20210510_050129446 by Joe B, on Flickr
;D

« Reply #54 on: 19 May, 2021, 04:17:38 pm »

Brrrr...got distinctly cool between 3-6 where upper surfaces contacted, mainly due to the condensation freezing inside the Hunka, and starting to affect the Ember insulation - would've been better under tarp / tent, having distinct air gap, defintely wasn't as chilly on Tan Hill in the tent.

If you get condensation inside the Hunka isn't it because you have dressed too warm?

« Reply #55 on: 12 June, 2021, 09:49:58 pm »
Bivvy night out with the lad on the banks of the River Ancholme about a mile from where it meets the Humber.
Very warm night, we both ended up losing the Bivvy bags to keep cool. Of course it rained at 4am so we had to hastily get back into them.

Not tonight, last week but I’ve only just gotten round to uploading the photos.

IMG_20210604_061725846 by Joe B, on Flickr

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #56 on: 12 July, 2021, 04:57:11 pm »
Off to try the (new) Elan tonight - could be a baptism of fire for it, better make sure I'm well anchored / sheltered ;D

So I managed a night in heavy rain the other weekend in my Elan. Whats the secret to keeping the rain out and an air vent above?  I have the main zip about 10cm open at the 2 oclock position of the main zip and somehow the rain managed to get in and drip on to the floor. I was on my Numo which is quite good at keeping you our of any water but surprised as I fished my phone and shoes off the wet floor!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #57 on: 12 July, 2021, 08:45:48 pm »

So I managed a night in heavy rain the other weekend in my Elan. Whats the secret to keeping the rain out and an air vent above?  I have the main zip about 10cm open at the 2 oclock position of the main zip and somehow the rain managed to get in and drip on to the floor. I was on my Numo which is quite good at keeping you our of any water but surprised as I fished my phone and shoes off the wet floor!
Is the built in air vent with the flap to protect it from rain insufficient?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #58 on: 12 July, 2021, 09:12:41 pm »

Is the built in air vent with the flap to protect it from rain insufficient?

I always seem to wake up and need the gap at the top, not sure if that's a psychological concern or not.
Regards,

Joergen