Author Topic: Radio recommendations  (Read 44540 times)

Re: Radio recommendations
« Reply #150 on: 23 October, 2020, 09:54:18 am »
Chris Boardman on desert island discs next week.
I just came here to post precisely those words ^  ^  ^   :-)

hahahaha  :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #151 on: 23 October, 2020, 10:33:46 am »
I happened upon The Skewer on R4 recently. Didn't quite get it to start with but now love it.
I listened to some of that last night. I like it. There was some kind of mash up that featured the shipping forecast:
"Boris Johnson Dogger"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #152 on: 23 October, 2020, 10:41:10 am »
I happened upon The Skewer on R4 recently. Didn't quite get it to start with but now love it.
I listened to some of that last night. I like it. There was some kind of mash up that featured the shipping forecast:
"Boris Johnson Dogger"
You do have to listen though. You can't be doing anything else 'cos you miss the unannounced 'punchline'.

The aural equivalent of a Jacques Tati film.
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #153 on: 01 November, 2020, 07:58:59 pm »
Right now on 6 Music, Tom Robinson has Elvis Costello as a guest. Now Playing "Watching the Detectives". Just Played "Ship Building"

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #154 on: 10 January, 2021, 01:14:33 pm »
A dramatisation of John Le Carre's first novel, A Call for The Dead was on Radio 4 yesterday and is available on BBC Sounds. Simon Russel Beale plays Smiley and the wonderful Kenneth Cranham is Mendel. Sam Dale (hurrah!) gets two parts.

« Reply #155 on: 10 January, 2021, 02:50:58 pm »
It was excellent, too.  Eleanor Bron and Anna Chancellor in the same play was good, too.

Re: Radio recommendationsy
« Reply #156 on: 10 January, 2021, 07:22:43 pm »
I've just listened to Call for the Dead.

Edit; thanks for the reccomendation. It's a very good adaptation.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #157 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:43:15 pm »
New series of The Infinite Monkey Cage starts this arvo.  I really ought to listen to last summer's offering first - a pleasure I normally reserve for the first day or two of my annual USAnian road trip.  Which obv didn't happen in 2020 chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #158 on: 11 January, 2021, 12:58:27 pm »
A dramatisation of John Le Carre's first novel, A Call for The Dead was on Radio 4 yesterday and is available on BBC Sounds. Simon Russel Beale plays Smiley and the wonderful Kenneth Cranham is Mendel. Sam Dale (hurrah!) gets two parts.

Started listening to it last night in bed but nodded off before I'd got very far. Sounded promising though. Thanks for the tip-off. I've enjoyed the other adaptations with SRB.

Not sure if I've read A Call For The Dead. I think I've read A Murder Of Quality, but I can't for the life of me remember what either is about. Might make The Works of John Le Carré my 2021 reading project.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #159 on: 13 January, 2021, 10:40:04 pm »
New series of The Infinite Monkey Cage starts this arvo.  I really ought to listen to last summer's offering first - a pleasure I normally reserve for the first day or two of my annual USAnian road trip.  Which obv didn't happen in 2020 chiz.
Thanks for the tip-off. It was a good one!

(Would it be harsh to say this was because Mr Ince got a lot less mike time? Maybe ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #160 on: 19 January, 2021, 06:46:36 pm »
More Le Carré. A Perfect Spy this time, adapted as a three part series with Julian Rhind-Tutt as Magnus Pym (strong autobiographical links to Le Carré) and Michael Maloney as his errant father. Also starring Bill Paterson and the wonderful tones of Anton Lessor among others.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #161 on: 26 January, 2021, 11:19:57 pm »
There's what appears to be a new series of Roy Williams's "The Interrogation" on Radio 4. Police drama thing with Kenneth Cranham as the older cop and Alex Lanipekun as his young subordinate. Top quality sniping between the two. Morse and Lewis it's not.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #162 on: 26 January, 2021, 11:29:22 pm »
Meanwhile over on 4 Extra there's a thriller from The Olden Days called Red for Danger, which was originally aired in 1954 on BBC Midland Home Service.

It's got a touch of Dick Barton about it, which isn't surprising as it was written by Edward J Mason, co creator of Dick Barton.  To old bastards people with a wealth of experience such as myself the cast seem familiar too. Ysanne Churchman, Arnold Peters, June Spencer and Chris Gittins all feature. That's "Ablazing" Grace Archer, Jack Wooley, Peggy Archer and Walter Gabriel, me old pal, me old beauty. Seeing as Mason also had a hand in launching The Archers this isn't surprising either.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #163 on: 31 January, 2021, 01:28:59 pm »
Thanks for the tip-off. It was a good one!

(Would it be harsh to say this was because Mr Ince got a lot less mike time? Maybe ... )
just caught up with "The Human Brain" show (July).
A cracker! Helped by Conan the Simpsons scriptwriter, and another very funny Yank.
Even Mr Ince managed a funny.

(Lots of stuff around how slight mental illness can fire creativity/art. But too much and you're fecked.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #164 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:19:17 pm »
New series of Meet David Sedaris started on R4 this week it was recorded at home, without an audience, and frankly it shows. It was entertaining enough but felt a bit flat - he is someone who thrives in front a crowd.

I remember this from when we went to see him live - he is very good at reacting to the audience, you can almost see him making mental notes about what material works and what doesn’t, and refining it as he goes along.

Still very good though.

« Reply #165 on: 20 March, 2021, 07:47:05 pm »
Adaptation of Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household is currently being serialised on R4 Extra.  Well worth a listen - quite faithful to the book.  I'm a sucker for old British books and films from this era (1930's) - plenty of period detail which I find fascinating.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #166 on: 13 May, 2021, 01:07:18 pm »
There's a new series of The Corrupted on R4 in the Afternoon Drama slot at the moment. Written by GF Newman, it's the 6th and final installment of his tale of corruption, weaving fictional characters with real life ones. Toby Jones stars as Sir Joseph Olinska.

I see John Finnemore has a new series on too, Thursday evening 1830, R4.

citoyen

« Reply #167 on: 13 May, 2021, 01:12:34 pm »

Hurrah!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #168 on: 13 May, 2021, 01:18:02 pm »

Hurrah!
Episode 1 was last week. I've not listened to it yet. I tend to get_iplayer stuff then binge listen.

citoyen

« Reply #169 on: 13 May, 2021, 01:22:06 pm »

Hurrah!
Episode 1 was last week. I've not listened to it yet. I tend to get_iplayer stuff then binge listen.

I have Finnemore on my Sounds subscriptions but for some annoying reason, it didn't notify me of the new series. Grrr!

Tbh, I usually catch new stuff when it is repeated on 4extra these days.

citoyen

« Reply #170 on: 29 May, 2021, 08:42:17 am »

Have you listened yet? It's quite something. The format is somewhat different to previous series, which threw me at first - didn't quite get what was going on until I read the blurb... very good, though, as you'd expect.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story in the first episode is utterly brilliant.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #171 on: 31 May, 2021, 04:07:08 pm »
The Skewer is back. Possibly the best news satire of recent times.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #172 on: 01 June, 2021, 11:53:38 pm »

Have you listened yet? It's quite something. The format is somewhat different to previous series, which threw me at first - didn't quite get what was going on until I read the blurb... very good, though, as you'd expect.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story in the first episode is utterly brilliant.
I've listened to episode one and thought I need to devote all my brain to it. He's dabbled in the cross referencing stuff before - the crime caper sketch at the end of series 7 (?) brought together several seemingly random elements from earlier in the episode and there's been a time machine sketch that did similar. Looking forward to my binge.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #173 on: 02 June, 2021, 07:38:39 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b08jdz0k

Fun spoofs of various literary Classics.
(More low-brow than it sounds - they're almost specially dumbed-down for Matt!)

------
Must find a quiet, focused moment to catch up on Mr Finnemore ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #174 on: 02 July, 2021, 03:34:00 pm »

Finally got round to listening to it. Bloody hell, that was brilliant, just brilliant.

I feel the need to listen again and put a spread sheet together to tie all the threads together.