Author Topic: SeaShore 200 25th July  (Read 11567 times)

Re: SeaShore 200 25th July
« Reply #25 on: 13 June, 2020, 06:04:42 pm »
Offer of route check is still there if needed/wanted.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #26 on: 13 June, 2020, 06:52:03 pm »
Thanks; much appreciated  :thumbsup:

GdS

« Reply #27 on: 01 August, 2020, 09:03:20 pm »
Did a route check of the intended route today to kick off my 2020 RRTY  :thumbsup:

Apologies for the Leigh- Heathfield section it's pretty brutal (by my standards although not done more than 160 in 4 months) but better than last year's and there isn't really any way to avoid that ridge in order to get to the coast. The Cuckoo Trail may not be to everyone's taste but it's hard surface the whole way. Total climb about 1900m which is way out of AAA but still a bit of a work out

The Leigh post office 52k control was a welcome surprise cheap flapjacks and an even cheaper coffee machine! (£1)  :P

« Reply #28 on: 21 September, 2020, 12:13:35 pm »
A couple of us took advantage of what might be the last sunny weekend of the year to do this as DIY on Sunday. 

Strong headwinds made the first part to Leith tough.  Unfortunately the Post Office there shuts on a Sunday, so no chance to sample the flapjacks and instead stopped at the Waitrose at Heathfield after what was also a very tough and undulating section.  As pointed out, the Cuckoo Trail surface is fine, but don't expect to go fast with all the barriers, road crossings, nervous cyclists, children, dogs and ponies around.  Enjoyed the seafront section, again need to watch out for pedestrians but generally not too crowded.  More difficult was trying to work out which bit is actually a cycle lane, particularly as they seem to be putting in new (covid social distance related) cycle facilities as we speak.  Unfortunately hit a pothole not long before home, but just a few grazes on me and a new bar tape on the bike to sort out and will be fine.

GdS

« Reply #29 on: 22 September, 2020, 08:12:59 am »
As with last year's event there's no easy way of avoiding the high ridge between Ashdown Forest and Heathfield in order to reach the South Coast. I thought Beachy Head and Birling Gap were an important addition for a calendar event.

I have various DIY mandatory route versions which avoid a lot of that hilly area if you are interested, mostly they turn at Exceat near Seaford.

« Reply #30 on: 24 September, 2020, 08:55:59 pm »
Agreed - worth a few extra hills for more sea views!

GdS

Re: SeaShore 200 18th September
« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2021, 04:40:16 pm »
Following a few dropouts entries are open for the rescheduled September 18 event  8)

Following feedback from riders who've done the route as a DIY the Cuckoo Trail section is truncated to just the Hailsham area, it also avoids the gratuitous climbs around Mayfield and Heathfield although it still crosses the same ridge near Cross in Hand. The not so nice A road section from Steyning also replaced with a lanier option and an extra info.

Depending on the Covid situation by then I may ask the cafe next to the start if they mind opening early, I imagine many local riders will sort themselves out before they arrive. Free parking confirmed 3km S of the start, £12-14 in the town centre :o

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9214

« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2021, 07:31:42 pm »
Just signed up for this. I'm not very good in the heat so probably won't do much in July/ August, so this'll be good for the end of summer.

GdS

« Reply #33 on: 05 July, 2021, 08:20:22 pm »
A healthy field of 77 with about 20 places left. Pre ride free catering will be tea / coffee and cereal bars but opportunities for more at Horley 20km

GdS

« Reply #34 on: 01 August, 2021, 11:00:03 am »
Did a DIY route check yesterday, sublime views from Beachy Head  8) challenging sea breeze which disappeared as soon as I rode inland

I've removed most of the Cuckoo Trail section following feedback, this does result in an alternative 6km section along the A267 to Hellingly, anyone wanting to avoid this can turn onto the trail at Horam

8 places left after which it's a waiting list

« Reply #35 on: 01 August, 2021, 02:24:15 pm »
Glad you mentioned places left. When I saw it on the calendar yesterday was going to wait to enter, but have just done it. Looking forward to it.

GdS

« Reply #36 on: 01 September, 2021, 06:17:21 pm »
Entries still trickling in I expect a last minute rush. I've ordered another 30 cards about 25 left.

Please support Carat's they have been very helpful  :)

Those coming by train make sure you go for the GroupSave fare if there are more than 2 of you it will be up to 50% saving  :thumbsup:

« Reply #37 on: 02 September, 2021, 08:06:03 am »
Anyone else want to make up the full value Peloton? I happen to actually know where Carats is which might help and also know some ways to avoid the cycle path along the front (while still staying true to the spirit of the ride) which can get very busy between Brighton and Hove.

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #38 on: 02 September, 2021, 08:30:20 am »
Excellent..............IF I can keep up

GdS

« Reply #39 on: 13 September, 2021, 10:38:32 am »
Please note diversion due to Eastbourne carnival along the seafront.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37489096

I may use this next year if I run the event on the day of the airshow

« Reply #40 on: 13 September, 2021, 11:37:08 am »
Should be a good ride on Saturday, weather is looking favourable at the moment.

@GdS, are the ride details being sent out to riders soon?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

GdS

« Reply #41 on: 13 September, 2021, 02:05:29 pm »

yes I've been sending them out since I route checked but I've got you down as a DNS!

« Reply #42 on: 13 September, 2021, 02:40:29 pm »

yes I've been sending them out since I route checked but I've got you down as a DNS!

No worries. I had the email back in June that said my entry was carried over from last year. I have now got the details you just forwarded, thank you  :thumbsup:

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

GdS

« Reply #43 on: 19 September, 2021, 09:50:17 am »
Perfect weather for the inaugural running of this much delayed event from Horsham  8) almost no wind until after Eastbourne where it turned into a tailwind all the way. A good showing of local club riders on their first 200km Audax.

Having detoured through Eastbourne to avoid the carnival we were not mistaken for Tour of Sussex riders on the climb to Beachy Head! The undercliff path and most of the route through Brighton and Hove was very quiet when I passed through (apart from Palace Pier) they were also getting ready for L2B today.

apologies for lack of stickers at Carats it appears they never found their way to the counter.

Finished with Tommy P thanks for your company!  :)

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #44 on: 19 September, 2021, 04:29:43 pm »
Well done Martin for getting the results out so quickly, (presumably a result of Ann’s fine Controlling) whilst we can still remember the names of the noobies we met on the ride.  Nice varied route, but the most challenging aspect was avoiding the seafront jay walkers.  There were a lot of cyclists and scooterists going in both directions, but pedestrians seemed totally oblivious to the existence of the very obvious cycle path.  Thereafter it was actually a joy just to have to put up with cars, as they mainly travelled in straight lines. 

The Ascent of Beachy Head was in sweltering conditions, so the later sweeping descents were even more enjoyed.      Eastbourne closed its streets to all but us (at your request presumably), and laid on musical entertainment for us, so maybe you could ask Brighton to put on a similar distraction which would keep the cycle path clear..........

« Reply #45 on: 19 September, 2021, 06:37:35 pm »
Thanks for guiding me back Martin! Also for all the bits of knowledge as we passed by bits of the route. And thanks to the rest of the gang we were with for letting me tag along.

Not feeling quite as knackered as I have from previous 200 efforts, so must be getting fitter!

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #46 on: 19 September, 2021, 06:54:00 pm »
I followed Martin’s GPX the whole day.     It was our official route.     It had a few glitches in it along the Coast, but I felt that if Martin had gone to the trouble of providing the GPX showing what he thought was the best route, there must be a good reason for his choice, and I should follow it.      He would have known about this route you are referring to, and decided we should not use it

GdS

« Reply #47 on: 20 September, 2021, 03:08:15 pm »
Jeff; I am Martin!  :)

Like when Manotea ran the event I did issue "chill pill" warnings about Brighton on both the route sheet and the welcome email. Not a section for blasting along. I found the undercliff section very quiet (and also mostly pebble free) but was about 90 min later than you.

Sadly they had already put barricades up along Madeira Drive in preparation for the bike ride finish the next day (which I only found out about a few days before) which did rather spoil the usually generous cycle lane but with insider knowledge we ignored the closed road signs and rode along the empty road. After the Palace Pier it does become day tripper central for about 1km as they gush out from West St towards the pier and the i360. I did also advise that riders could use either the A259 or the cycle path.

Where the Covid lane finally stops the cycle path goes back out towards the seafront but we continued along the road as the motor traffic was still single file. Soon after the cycle path rejoins and is a lot quieter as you are now in Hove Actually!

Sadly next year the Covid bike lanes will have gone (although Covid may not have) so it will be either on the path or the road whichever you prefer. But hopefully many of the crowds will be along the seafront at Eastbourne watching the airshow instead 8)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #48 on: 20 September, 2021, 03:41:45 pm »
Hi Martin

Your Auk Checkpoint signs were still in evidence in Horsham Sunday afternoon, as we came back from a Tandem Club ride. Our hopes for spare cake were dashed when we realised the event was on Saturday. Don't know if they're still there...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

GdS

« Reply #49 on: 20 September, 2021, 03:48:37 pm »
Hi Martin

Your Auk Checkpoint signs were still in evidence in Horsham Sunday afternoon, as we came back from a Tandem Club ride. Our hopes for spare cake were dashed when we realised the event was on Saturday. Don't know if they're still there...

Thanks for reminding me! will go and retrieve it was all a bit of a rush to get everything back in the car before the next tranche of Horsham riders turned up for a club run the cafe opened and parking wardens arrived  :)