Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 46848 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #650 on: 19 May, 2021, 07:44:30 pm »
A set of 5 (all the same Pozi - as they do wear out) from Aliexpress - they stop at the right point for the screw head in the countersink so you don't drive the screw in too far.  Excellent.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001956617564.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4d264c4dcoYpXg

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #651 on: 29 May, 2021, 05:15:10 pm »
This winter and "spring" have been so cold that I've kept out of the workshop as much as possible.  Now that it's warming up again I find that I have no desire to go over there and work wood; in fact, I was vaguely totting up what my tools are worth and wondering if they'd fetch enough for a good eBike (probably not).

There's a confession for you.
But they never got to Carcassonne.

rr

« Reply #652 on: 29 May, 2021, 10:49:36 pm »
A Wera bicycle number 3 set.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #653 on: 10 June, 2021, 11:20:02 am »
One of my lawnmowers is intermittently having no drive and when it does have drive its slow. So in preparation for pulling it apart to have a fiddle I have ordered a set of Knipex circlip/snap ring pliers.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #654 on: 10 June, 2021, 12:21:57 pm »
One of these arrived this morning from Mr Banggood's Chinese Emporium (UK warehouse - in 4 days from order)   - probably a bit too accurate for the sawdust manufacturing work I do but you never know.
https://www.banggood.com/Drillpro-200-or-300-or-400mm-Stainless-Steel-Precision-Marking-T-Ruler-Hole-Positioning-Measuring-Ruler-Woodworking-Scriber-Scribing-Tool-p-1601316.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=UK&ID=6283065

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #655 on: 10 June, 2021, 01:03:56 pm »
I bought a 12 inch steel ruler the other day. The label on it said "all numbers are approximate" which was a trifle worrying.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #656 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:12:34 pm »
I bought a 12 inch steel ruler the other day. The label on it said "all numbers are approximate" which was a trifle worrying.

1ish 2ish 3ish ... 12ish

« Reply #657 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:16:41 pm »
Kwality Product?

My 1m Rabone Chesterman steel rule says 'Accurate at 20°C'.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #658 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:31:53 pm »
Kwality Product?

B&Q's finest I think.  Of course rather than being a comment on the accuracy of the ruler it might be a deeper philosophical point "All numbers everywhere that you can think of, the ones you haven't thought of yet and the ones you'll never think of, are approximate."
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #659 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:34:35 pm »
A German ruler would probably be embossed with a DIN standard which declared the exact accuracy tolerance of the markings along with the temperature that was measured at, what height above sea level, the phase of the moon and whether there was an R in the month or not. They are a tad obsessive about these things.

« Reply #660 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:37:04 pm »
Kwality Product?

B&Q's finest I think.  Of course rather than being a comment on the accuracy of the ruler it might be a deeper philosophical point "All numbers everywhere that you can think of, the ones you haven't thought of yet and the ones you'll never think of, are approximate."

Well given that any ruler is a continuous line all lengths within the range are there to a 100% accuracy just maybe not where the printed indices say they are ....

« Reply #661 on: 10 June, 2021, 06:14:44 pm »
Kwality Product?

On inspection it actually says 'Standard at 20°C'

« Reply #662 on: 10 June, 2021, 06:37:57 pm »
A German ruler would probably be embossed with a DIN standard which declared the exact accuracy tolerance of the markings along with the temperature that was measured at, what height above sea level, the phase of the mood and whether there was an R in the month or not. They are a tad obsessive about these things.

Mrs A is like that and also insists on symmetry.
Sic transit and all that..