Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 121440 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #650 on: 19 May, 2021, 07:44:30 pm »
A set of 5 (all the same Pozi - as they do wear out) from Aliexpress - they stop at the right point for the screw head in the countersink so you don't drive the screw in too far.  Excellent.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001956617564.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.4d264c4dcoYpXg

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #651 on: 29 May, 2021, 05:15:10 pm »
This winter and "spring" have been so cold that I've kept out of the workshop as much as possible.  Now that it's warming up again I find that I have no desire to go over there and work wood; in fact, I was vaguely totting up what my tools are worth and wondering if they'd fetch enough for a good eBike (probably not).

There's a confession for you.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rr

« Reply #652 on: 29 May, 2021, 10:49:36 pm »
A Wera bicycle number 3 set.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #653 on: 10 June, 2021, 11:20:02 am »
One of my lawnmowers is intermittently having no drive and when it does have drive its slow. So in preparation for pulling it apart to have a fiddle I have ordered a set of Knipex circlip/snap ring pliers.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

robgul

« Reply #654 on: 10 June, 2021, 12:21:57 pm »
One of these arrived this morning from Mr Banggood's Chinese Emporium (UK warehouse - in 4 days from order)   - probably a bit too accurate for the sawdust manufacturing work I do but you never know.
https://www.banggood.com/Drillpro-200-or-300-or-400mm-Stainless-Steel-Precision-Marking-T-Ruler-Hole-Positioning-Measuring-Ruler-Woodworking-Scriber-Scribing-Tool-p-1601316.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=UK&ID=6283065

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #655 on: 10 June, 2021, 01:03:56 pm »
I bought a 12 inch steel ruler the other day. The label on it said "all numbers are approximate" which was a trifle worrying.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #656 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:12:34 pm »
I bought a 12 inch steel ruler the other day. The label on it said "all numbers are approximate" which was a trifle worrying.

1ish 2ish 3ish ... 12ish

« Reply #657 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:16:41 pm »
Kwality Product?

My 1m Rabone Chesterman steel rule says 'Accurate at 20°C'.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #658 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:31:53 pm »
Kwality Product?

B&Q's finest I think.  Of course rather than being a comment on the accuracy of the ruler it might be a deeper philosophical point "All numbers everywhere that you can think of, the ones you haven't thought of yet and the ones you'll never think of, are approximate."
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #659 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:34:35 pm »
A German ruler would probably be embossed with a DIN standard which declared the exact accuracy tolerance of the markings along with the temperature that was measured at, what height above sea level, the phase of the moon and whether there was an R in the month or not. They are a tad obsessive about these things.

« Reply #660 on: 10 June, 2021, 02:37:04 pm »
Kwality Product?

B&Q's finest I think.  Of course rather than being a comment on the accuracy of the ruler it might be a deeper philosophical point "All numbers everywhere that you can think of, the ones you haven't thought of yet and the ones you'll never think of, are approximate."

Well given that any ruler is a continuous line all lengths within the range are there to a 100% accuracy just maybe not where the printed indices say they are ....

« Reply #661 on: 10 June, 2021, 06:14:44 pm »
Kwality Product?

On inspection it actually says 'Standard at 20°C'

« Reply #662 on: 10 June, 2021, 06:37:57 pm »
A German ruler would probably be embossed with a DIN standard which declared the exact accuracy tolerance of the markings along with the temperature that was measured at, what height above sea level, the phase of the mood and whether there was an R in the month or not. They are a tad obsessive about these things.

Mrs A is like that and also insists on symmetry.
Move Faster and Bake Things

robgul

« Reply #663 on: 26 June, 2021, 05:27:59 pm »
Treated myself to a new battery drill that shares the battery and charger with the impact driver I bought about a month ago . . . and better was that Mr ToolStation was running a 20% off deal today bringing the price for a drill with battery to around £100.

.... it prompted me to count up the drill/drivers I have . . .  worryingly it's now 6  (4 battery and 2 corded) + a Dremel if you can count that + a drill-press machine.

« Reply #664 on: 26 June, 2021, 06:48:02 pm »
A Bourns tool, which is a plastic stick for twiddling multiturn potentiometers.*

Bought on eBay at 11:57 am today, hand delivered a couple of hours later. Proper junkies don't get such good service.

(* one day I'll bore my non-grandchildren by telling them about the twiddly stick we had to use to use to tune the TV preset buttons which had a built-in reduction gear. Near impossible to google up an image of such a thing)

« Reply #665 on: 26 June, 2021, 07:32:39 pm »
You're right, it is tricky to find. But in googling images of TV tuners, I got a very strong smell-memory of the hot, dusty electronics the was pervasive around old TVs. That's something else that is lost in the mists of time.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #666 on: 26 June, 2021, 09:33:08 pm »
Aye, but we are back to TVs taking as long as their valve based antecedents to start showing a picture and the, lack of, stability of some of the Freeview channels makes one pine for 405 line sets with their *approximate* tuning.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #667 on: 26 June, 2021, 09:37:21 pm »
one day I'll bore my non-grandchildren by telling them about the twiddly stick we had to use to use to tune the TV preset buttons which had a built-in reduction gear.

"What's a TV preset button?"

« Reply #668 on: 26 June, 2021, 09:56:18 pm »
We'd need to start by explaining the concept of TV.

« Reply #669 on: 26 June, 2021, 09:56:39 pm »
When I was growing up, my parents had a 12 inch (later a 14 inch!) black and white Ferguson telly in the corner of the room. They didn't have any of that fancy preset stuff, you had to know that BBC1 was on Ch.52 (or whatever it was) and manually spin the dial to it every time.

I do point out to my kids that we used to watch something smaller than their laptops in the far corner of the room.
Kids today. Don't know they're born.

« Reply #670 on: 27 June, 2021, 07:38:24 pm »
Aaah.. Tuning the wireless. The morse and heteronyms signals and Eastern bloc call signs full of mystique and menace. And the pirates.. ooaah .. don’t mention the pirates..

Move Faster and Bake Things

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #671 on: 30 June, 2021, 01:15:45 pm »
A Bourns tool, which is a plastic stick for twiddling multiturn potentiometers.*

Bought on eBay at 11:57 am today, hand delivered a couple of hours later. Proper junkies don't get such good service.

(* one day I'll bore my non-grandchildren by telling them about the twiddly stick we had to use to use to tune the TV preset buttons which had a built-in reduction gear. Near impossible to google up an image of such a thing)

Crikey.  I still have loads of tweakers like that lying around (and in my ex-work toolkits) in both hex and straight blade forms.  The sand coloured RS ones were so ubiquitous that people treated them as disposable. We used them for all kinds of reasons - setting Hex switches is/was pretty common - not just tweaking pots.

When we went to 16x9 from 4x3 we had to trim all the vertical heights on the CRTs (the widescreen version of Test Card F was used to get the circle height correct). That required an ultra long tweaker, which necessitated the purchase of a rather nice extra long Draper Expert No.1 terminal driver. Oh, and take off your watches, cover up your wedding rings, and one hand behind your back. It's a bit like "Operation" but the consequences are a bit more real...
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #672 on: 30 June, 2021, 01:25:44 pm »
They're a distant relative of the IEC C13 lead, aren't they?  Left unobserved, they'll breed at the back of drawers and the bottom of tool boxes, but have an uncanny ability to be somewhere else when you need them.

Interestingly, I'm sure there was a hearing aid one[1] in the magpile[2] on my desk, but it seems to have crawled off somewhere...

[1] Flat-blade tweaker with a magnet at the other end.
[2] Who else accumulates Precious Things?  Maybe we need a Gallery thread...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #673 on: 30 June, 2021, 04:42:02 pm »
Quote from: redshift
Quote from: grams

Crikey.  I still have loads of tweakers like that lying around ...
Pointless digression. First written use of tweaker in a televisual context that *I* know about is from 1962 in, "Paddington at Large" Chapter 23, "Goings on at No. 32".

" 'Your *tweeker*!' exclaimed Paddington, looking most upset.  'That's right,' said Mr. Higgins cheerfully, as he held up a long screwdriver.  'Always carry one of these on account of having to give the old tellys a tweek when they want adjusting.'"
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #674 on: 30 June, 2021, 05:02:06 pm »
Two Nobar TTI torque wrenches incoming. There is lots of alloy on the BMW and I fear I will be cack handed and crack/bend/strip it without the proper torque wrench.
I have a Draper Expert torque wrench already but that up to 230 Nm or something stupid. No use for motorbikes (except maybe the rear wheel nut that fixes teh wheel to the shaft drive). Cant even remember what I bought that one for now. Probably something on the old Range Rover I had back in the early 90s,