Author Topic: LEJOG: 03-08 JULY 2022  (Read 88643 times)

Re: LEJOG: 26 - 31 JULY 2020
« Reply #200 on: 27 May, 2020, 12:46:59 pm »
Perhaps we should consider the helpers who tend to be more at risk
personally i want to ride as much as the next rider but we also have to think of others
Helpers?

When events start some will run with helpers we can not discriminate events on basis we just want to do this one ride.
It may well be in”the new normal” no events will be able to have helpers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you mean perms

But as Bill pointed out above calendar events take a lot of organising and long events even more so.

It is yet to be decided by AUK how they are going to restart rides so this discussion is rather mute util the fact are known, all we can do is plan and train with in the rules we find our selves in.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #201 on: 27 May, 2020, 01:05:13 pm »
There are X-rated calendar brevets with no helpers involved. So like perms but also not.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Davef

« Reply #202 on: 27 May, 2020, 02:30:30 pm »

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #203 on: 10 June, 2020, 04:05:54 pm »
Scottish tourism sector to re open on 15th July

Interesting

Eddington  127miles, 170km

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #204 on: 11 June, 2020, 05:02:44 pm »

Interesting

That's the 3 week review period between the expected move to Phase 2 and Phase 3.
Assuming we go to Phase 2 next Thursday.

I asked a bunkhouse what it means for shared dorms since physical distancing remains at that stage, and they don't know yet, but said they can open their luxury lodges.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #205 on: 11 June, 2020, 06:10:45 pm »

Interesting

That's the 3 week review period between the expected move to Phase 2 and Phase 3.

I asked a bunkhouse what it means for shared dorms since physical distancing remains at that stage, and they don't know yet, but said they can open their luxury lodges.
So is that the 15th July for the start of the review that will finish on the 5th August to see if facilities will open on 5th August?

And remember half the ride is in England.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Davef

« Reply #206 on: 11 June, 2020, 06:26:45 pm »
It is being reported the Scottish tourism minister is saying actually opening on 15th July.

It might be too short notice for the official lejog audax and auk,  but I think I am going to do it anyway, as long as it is legal to do so by then. Probably at a slower pace with more luggage.

« Reply #207 on: 11 June, 2020, 06:35:15 pm »
It is being reported the Scottish tourism minister is saying actually opening on 15th July.

It might be too short notice for the official lejog audax and auk,  but I think I am going to do it anyway, as long as it is legal to do so by then. Probably at a slower pace with more luggage.

They are proposing the 15th for reopening hospitality, this gives operators time to prepare. Although it is subject to review in line with the number of new cases.

And I can’t see Scotland being ahead of England on this move, so I expect similar here soon too. Plus there is pressure to reduce the 2m distance, as hospitality can’t really operate on that format.

A step towards the event running as far as I’m concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #208 on: 13 June, 2020, 04:12:00 pm »

Interesting

So is that the 15th July for the start of the review that will finish on the 5th August to see if facilities will open on 5th August?

And remember half the ride is in England.

BB

The reviews take place with a decision made on the Thursday for making changes from the Friday; it's in the UK level act...
So assuming no regression in reduction of rate during Phase 2 (which we expect from Friday coming) then Phase 3 roadmap guidance starts from the 15th of July.
If everything goes backwards or public services say they can't get into an appropriate state, then erm naw.

They are proposing the 15th for reopening hospitality, this gives operators time to prepare. Although it is subject to review in line with the number of new cases.

And I can’t see Scotland being ahead of England on this move, so I expect similar here soon too. Plus there is pressure to reduce the 2m distance, as hospitality can’t really operate on that format.

A step towards the event running as far as I’m concerned.

Based on the R0 estimates published yesterday, the only reason for for Scotlands release of lockdown being behind England's is political acceptance of virus spread and associated death levels... (but this is obviously for the politics section thread)

There's also no guarantee that cross-border or inter-regional travel won't be restricted as part of it.

« Reply #209 on: 15 June, 2020, 02:33:23 am »
I'm virtually certain that I will not be able to do this ride because of the two-week quarentine requirment currently in place in the UK for international travelers.  I do, howeer, keep my eye on the status of the ride, and, I must say that I find it odd that there has not been any accouncement about the status of the ride.  It's only six weeks out now.  I would think that the logistics and complexities of puttinng on a ride like this woud have required a decision by now.

Bill Watts
USA
Bill Watts

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #210 on: 15 June, 2020, 09:34:59 am »
I'm virtually certain that I will not be able to do this ride because of the two-week quarentine requirment currently in place in the UK for international travelers.  I do, howeer, keep my eye on the status of the ride, and, I must say that I find it odd that there has not been any accouncement about the status of the ride.  It's only six weeks out now.  I would think that the logistics and complexities of puttinng on a ride like this woud have required a decision by now.

Bill Watts
USA
Nothing is certain. Even if non-essential travel will be allowed. US corvid cases not leveling out like expected. Looks like it will be a long summer of Trump tweets  ::-)
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #211 on: 17 June, 2020, 11:34:43 pm »
If the LEJOG is going to go ahead this year in the final week of July as planned it requires 2 things to happen: AUK lifting the restrictions on event validation and the relaxing of the social distancing measures. Neither is likely to happen before mid-July 2020. The next government announcement is likely to be in the evening of Friday 03 July so I'm prepared to wait until then. The statement issued by the UK Prime Minister recently has raised more questions than answers and no-body really knows what's going to happen as we head into the Summer/Autumn.

Logistically, the event is still ready to run in late July however, as I said previously even if restrictions are lifted sometime during June/July and AUK events resume considering the large number of events cancelled during the Spring I doubt whether many of the riders would be in condition anyway (both physically and mentally).

Whether or not there's a LEJOG this year (and it's looking very unlikely) everybody who's entered is automatically being transferred to the 2021 edition.

18-22 July 2021 has already been listed for the rerun of the event. All entrants will be emailed sometime during the next few days.

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG AUDAX

simonp

« Reply #212 on: 18 June, 2020, 01:05:45 am »
Thanks for the update Andy.

Audax UK have just announced August for perms and DIYs up to 200k. My guess is calendar events of any distance are still out for the foreseeable.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #213 on: 18 June, 2020, 08:09:25 am »

Audax UK have just announced August for perms and DIYs up to 200k. My guess is calendar events of any distance are still out for the foreseeable.
And certainly not going to restart before perms,  so there is certainty that this event cannot happen

Davef

« Reply #214 on: 18 June, 2020, 08:34:53 am »

And certainly not going to restart before perms,  so there is certainty that this event cannot happen
It will be ironic if the first minister announces today that Scotland opening for tourism on the 15th just as auk says no. Being stubborn I am probably, if legal to do so, stick to the original dates as a solo ride. I could of course postpone slightly in order to submit 10 consecutive 200km DIYs for comedy value.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #215 on: 18 June, 2020, 08:44:44 am »

It will be ironic if the first minister announces today that Scotland opening for tourism on the 15th just as auk says no. Being stubborn I am probably, if legal to do so, stick to the original dates as a solo ride. I could of course postpone slightly in order to submit 10 consecutive 200km DIYs for comedy value.

It only needs 7 consecutive 200s

Davef

« Reply #216 on: 18 June, 2020, 08:47:27 am »

It only needs 7 consecutive 200s
I was including travel to the start.

« Reply #217 on: 18 June, 2020, 12:14:27 pm »
 ??? A number queries....
IF no LEJOG 2020.. Automatically transferred to 2021. What date? (July 27th?)
 As LEL is 8-13th August 2021[/b] .... 
What if you planned to do LEL..?
What if you don’t want a transfer to 2021?
Will there be a refund on LEJOG?

LMT

« Reply #218 on: 18 June, 2020, 12:19:15 pm »
??? A number queries....

''18-22 July 2021 has already been listed for the rerun of the event''

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #219 on: 18 June, 2020, 02:23:03 pm »

I'd miscounted previously, the switch to "phase 3" should be announced on the 9th of July.
This is not the first time I've been eagerly awaiting something called "phase 3" from the Scottish Government and its agencies...
(it was the working title for a project that I was due to move onto)

« Reply #220 on: 18 June, 2020, 07:16:23 pm »
??? A number queries....

I'm an ICU nurse and at the start of the crisis (slightly before our idiot PM got on with it and he can stuff his Thursdays clap) I emailed Andy regards cancellation/refund. There was no response then and since this last update I've emailed again. I'm gonna assume he's either too busy to answer our queries or is of the opinion that the rules at entry (ie. No refunds) were final and its not something he'd like to discuss at all. Not even a tiny message back.

Hopefully I'm wrong and he will give the option of a refund for those that are unable to make the event date either this or next year. But from the looks of it and the fact he's a hard man to get hold of (as well as a very hard man apparently) and there's nowhere really to direct any questions or concerns, I'd not really hold out any hope of a refund and you're probably better off counting your losses.

Hope that helps at all and with any luck he might see your message and offer alternatives/refunds (even if they are partial refunds which would make sense as he's probably sent a certain amount during planning!). Personally I've seen enough death or near-death patients that I've lost the desire to attempt any sort of LeJOG any time soon. Will be just riding locally (ie. In England) and as soon as things looks suitable I'll be making my epic (epic for me, not for many on here) 230 miler to London with some nice climbing in between.

Thats just my 2 pence... hope it helps. Andy, if you do end up reading this, no offence mate. Totally understand there's always 2 sides to a coin and can imagine your dilemmas that we might not know of. Take care. Shafiq (Shafiq.staffnurse@gmail.com in case you wonder when I emailed ya)  :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #221 on: 21 June, 2020, 10:23:34 am »
Andy tends not to reply to emails and often issues information at the last moment.

A few years ago, I mistakenly entered HK in one of his long brevets that clashed with a long French brevet that we’d already booked. Despite emailing Andy asking to withdraw HK’s entry (noting that he had no requirement to do so) within an hour of entering his event, no response at all. AUK policy is no refunds and so we wrote off a fairly large entry fee (in AUK terms) without quibbling. Such is life!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #222 on: 21 June, 2020, 11:07:19 am »
I am still holding entries for my ‘suspended’ Cheltenham Flyer event from 21 March. I am holding a draft letter to all riders regarding “late autumn run/ transfer to 2021 event/ refund/ donate to charity”. The cash is in my PP account and I had minimal costs as no VH charges. Just waiting for definitive on Calendars for season 19/20.

In the meantime, I am planning a JoGLE of my own as a leisurely N-S tour, although I had hoped and had planning for a 7x200. Just a matter of cycling to JoG which I intend to do by a (40yrs later) re-run of the National 3 Peaks by Bike Caernarvon<>Ft William. Might just extend it to a 4Corners, picking up a couple DIY 200s along the S coast in August.

Just need to be prepared to “take an Audax break” and think about other ways to enjoy cycling. As a senior, every year is a bonus and not to be wasted.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Davef

« Reply #223 on: 21 June, 2020, 12:24:41 pm »
3 peaks by bike - added to the todo list

Once the Boris bridge to NI is opened there will be a whole new range of rides to consider.

« Reply #224 on: 26 June, 2020, 07:27:35 pm »
Well despite Andy saying no more on here, his website says it’s postponed till 2021. We won’t be doing it then, have other things planned. So as we have time booked off work, accom and transport sorted, we’re still going ahead ourselves, as it appears it will be legal to do so. We’ll leave LE on 25th, giving us a day extra to do it in, basically 7x 200k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk