Author Topic: PBP Fever?  (Read 2479 times)

PBP Fever?
« on: 28 September, 2022, 12:27:02 pm »
Just noticed loads of new events going into the AUK calendar almost daily now.  Mostly for PBP qualification I suppose, but was it really like this for 2019 or is it PBP fever perhaps!

Also, whilst on the subject, do these PBP qualifying events get filled up really early?

felstedrider

Re: PBP Fever?
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2022, 01:26:05 pm »

Also, whilst on the subject, do these PBP qualifying events get filled up really early?

Yes.   Get your entries in now or you'll miss out.

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2022, 03:17:10 pm »
Just noticed loads of new events going into the AUK calendar almost daily now.  Mostly for PBP qualification I suppose, but was it really like this for 2019 or is it PBP fever perhaps!

Events have been in organiser planner some time. It’s just that final checks on min distance and other admin is getting completed as they need to be done and dusted by 1st October.

The recent discussion on extra infos, due to more stringent min distance checks (both established and new), and events appearing in calendar is not unrelated. It’s the area delegates who do these checks, feedback any shortfalls to organisers, and publish events into the calendar once they are satisfied.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2022, 05:12:16 pm »
It's a little known fact (as fellow ACME organiser Huggy has pointed out before) that we don't really have a cap on entries here. We have always managed to expand facilities to cope with larger than average fields in PBP years. Most events have 'free' controls so choose your 24 hour McDonalds/garage shop and hope they haven't been picked clean! Wise randonneurs carry a bit of extra food just in case - it has saved my ride more than once! I've had extra tables of breakfast drinks and food outside St Mary's Centre to cope with the bun-fight at the start.

I think the largest number we've had was 200-ish, out of an entry of around 250 in 2015, when I was running the Asparagus and Strawberries 400km, having taken over from Herman Ramsey. There's a photo somewhere of every flat surface in our front room taken up with piles of brevets as I got to grips with putting them all in alphabetical order.  :o

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4 on: 28 September, 2022, 05:17:07 pm »

Events have been in organiser planner some time. It’s just that final checks on min distance and other admin is getting completed as they need to be done and dusted by 1st October.

The recent discussion on extra infos, due to more stringent min distance checks (both established and new), and events appearing in calendar is not unrelated. It’s the area delegates who do these checks, feedback any shortfalls to organisers, and publish events into the calendar once they are satisfied.
Not to mention event organisers submitting new and recurring BRMs for PBP qualifiers in the last week before the cut-off date for publication of 1st October  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 28 September, 2022, 08:46:35 pm »
Not to mention event organisers submitting new and recurring BRMs for PBP qualifiers in the last week before the cut-off date for publication of 1st October  ::-)

Maybe a 'pre-deadline deadline' needed? - I usually set myself one about four to six weeks before the actual one at the end of September, to at least get something going in the planner and show my intentions.

« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2022, 03:14:39 pm »
I see that the LWL (London-Wales-London) sold out in just over 1-hour of entries opening today.

« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2022, 12:11:21 pm »
The effect of marketing. Don’t worry, still plenty of excellent 400s out there for you to enter.