Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 859119 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #775 on: 06 November, 2015, 04:11:41 pm »
I'm fairly sure that's Victorian for 'pr0n'

Probably showing their ankles, the brass huskies brazen hussies!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #776 on: 07 November, 2015, 09:42:09 pm »
That before ladybirds were called ladybirds, they were called ladycows. And that the 'lady' comes from a connection between the seven spots and the Seven Pains of Our Lady. In some languages they have names like 'Mary's beetle'.

I suppose this means that just as they are not birds or cows (nor true bugs, it turns out) the ones with different numbers of spots aren't really ladies!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #777 on: 08 November, 2015, 11:43:56 am »
That before ladybirds were called ladybirds, they were called ladycows. And that the 'lady' comes from a connection between the seven spots and the Seven Pains of Our Lady. In some languages they have names like 'Mary's beetle'.

I suppose this means that just as they are not birds or cows (nor true bugs, it turns out) the ones with different numbers of spots aren't really ladies!

In Norfolk they're called Bishy Barnabys after a local Bishop who had red and black vestments

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #778 on: 08 November, 2015, 08:45:16 pm »
Today I have learnt the difference between "Reveille" and American military morning bugle call and "Rouse" the British military morning bugle call, sometimes called Reveille. Fortunately Rouse is much easier to play and I found out for I played Last Post and "Reveille".

« Reply #779 on: 10 November, 2015, 04:35:36 pm »
From last night's pub quiz.

Which colour smartie has a different flavoured chocolate from all the others?

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #780 on: 10 November, 2015, 06:53:57 pm »
IIRC it's because the orange ones are made with orange chocolate rather than because of any property of the shell.

« Reply #781 on: 10 November, 2015, 07:22:15 pm »
If your AeroPress hasn't formed a proper seal when you turn it upside down, things get messy.

By things, I mean a large quantity of kitchen, the crotch of your jeans, the insides of the closed kitchen cupboards…

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #782 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »
If you spread a pancake half with Nutella and half with peanut butter, and then fold it along the line between the two, roll it up and eat it, it's tastes like what I imagine being in heaven feels like.

I love my job.

Oh yum, that sounds almost as good as the chocolate and chestnut puree pancake I buy in Val d'Isere :P :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #783 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:00:14 pm »
If you spread a pancake half with Nutella and half with peanut butter, and then fold it along the line between the two, roll it up and eat it, it's tastes like what I imagine being in heaven feels like.

I love my job.

Oh yum, that sounds almost as good as the chocolate and chestnut puree pancake I buy in Val d'Isere :P :P
First World Problem Thread is
<-------------------------------- Thataway  ;) :-*

« Reply #784 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:12:03 pm »

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #785 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:46:12 am »
Gotham, the village in Notts, is directly linked to Gotham City, of Batman fame.  This is due to it's reputation, in the Middle Ages, of being a village of lunatics.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #786 on: 11 November, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »
Gotham, the village in Notts, is directly linked to Gotham City, of Batman fame.  This is due to it's reputation, in the Middle Ages, of being a village of lunatics.
...but of course it's not pronounced the same (Goat'em)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #787 on: 11 November, 2015, 12:47:19 pm »
Oddly every time I've been through Gotham I've seen someone on an electric bike.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #788 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:13:33 pm »

That has triggered a memory of a tale in one of my early reading books of the people of Gotham, Notts, pretending to be mad in order to make the lackeys of The Man go away and leave them in peace.  It was probably an allegorical reference1 to the Vietnam Police Action.  Man.

1: Lie.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #789 on: 11 November, 2015, 09:55:41 pm »
I was on a personal safety course yesterday, and the facilitator guy told us that the thing about knowledge is, if you're in the know, you've got the edge.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #790 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:25:27 pm »
I was on a personal safety course yesterday, and the facilitator guy told us that the thing about knowledge is, if you're in the know, you've got the edge.
Was he from Unthinkable Solutions? Or maybe he was played by Ricky Gervais. Either way, did you manage not to laugh?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #791 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:39:21 pm »
Was he from Unthinkable Solutions? Or maybe he was played by Ricky Gervais. Either way, did you manage not to laugh?

Please tell me that someone managed to respond with a straight face and tell him they'd always thought that if they were in the know, they were on a ledge.

« Reply #792 on: 12 November, 2015, 07:01:09 am »
That the Chief Design Officer at Apple comes from Chingford and went to Newcastle Poly

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11988396/Jony-Ive-interview-The-story-of-the-Apple-Pencil.html

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #793 on: 12 November, 2015, 03:35:32 pm »
That Maria Curie, Maria Goeppert-Mayer, Irene Joliot-Curie and Ada Yonath never actually existed. In fact, old Skłodowska-Curie was doubly nonexistent. Or so a local 'news' site would have me believe.
Dorothy Hodgkin, Chancellor of the University of Bristol (1971 to 1988), was the first British woman to win the Nobel Prize for science. She remains the only woman to have received this award.
Oh, and that there is a "Nobel Prize for Science".  ::-)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #794 on: 12 November, 2015, 03:37:58 pm »

Please tell me that someone managed to respond with a straight face and tell him they'd always thought that if they were in the know, they were on a ledge.

That was my comment on FB. 
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #795 on: 12 November, 2015, 05:58:33 pm »
More confirmed than learned, to be honest:  I posses too much crappe. 

I've tossed out loads of stuff recently.  Even once I shift all the boxen of stuff I'm storing for a friend who had to suddenly return to Singapore (not ideal in a one bedroom flat) there are still too many TPoC.
Apologies for drifting into Grumble/FWP territory.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #796 on: 12 November, 2015, 06:08:19 pm »
That if you divide a mass of Ura stuff into spheres of diameter 'x', or cubes of side 'x', the pile of stuff you have has the same total surface area.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #797 on: 12 November, 2015, 06:35:00 pm »
That my mate Ian has had a hair transplant, and that's why he has such great hair.

Could've knocked me down with a feather!
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #798 on: 13 November, 2015, 09:18:20 am »
That if you divide a mass of Ura stuff into spheres of diameter 'x', or cubes of side 'x', the pile of stuff you have has the same total surface area.
Yep, 6V/x

Andrew

« Reply #799 on: 13 November, 2015, 11:51:54 am »