Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 847371 times)

ian

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #5250 on: 18 May, 2021, 12:51:12 pm »
Someone cleverer than me will explain it better, but a bitcoin isn't anything other than something that enough people have agreed has value.  It's like trading in an IOU that can't be paid, but everyone agrees has value. I some respects that's like a fiat currency, but ultimately they're backed by a government. They can (and do) default too, of course. But that has repercussions.

The blockchain (and the encryption) isn't to do with bitcoin, per se, it's the mechanism that makes bitcoin tamperproof, otherwise I could just claim that yep, I have a pile of bitcoin. The ledger proves whether or not I don't.

There are multiple blockchains, it's just that longest wins out – that's where the work comes in, as mentioned earlier.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5251 on: 18 May, 2021, 01:30:38 pm »
Supporters of bitcoin would argue that it's no different to fiat currency, which isn't backed by any underlying asset (e.g. gold) either.  However, fiat currency is backed by an identifiable government that has public assets, can borrow money itself, and can raise money through taxation.

Bitcoin is worth something because, currently, people are willing to swap real money for it and it is also untraceable, so you can buy illegal stuff with it.  Also FOMO (see South Sea and tulip bubbles for previous examples).

You can argue that gold has no intrinsic value, but its value as jewellery is so high and consistent that prices have to be seasonally adjusted to take account of the Indian wedding season.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #5252 on: 18 May, 2021, 02:35:14 pm »
It's not untraceable though, it's everything but, there's a nice ledger recording every transaction from creation onward. That can be (and has been) mined to identify transaction patterns and tie those to individuals and organizations. There's a business doing this for bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.

« Reply #5253 on: 18 May, 2021, 07:57:17 pm »
That in Australia, women couldn’t drink in a public bar until 1970  :o
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #5254 on: 18 May, 2021, 08:11:19 pm »
That far back?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5255 on: 21 May, 2021, 08:59:08 am »
Slime moulds are better at finding the exit from Ikea than we are.  This from MrsT, who is reading something Scientific.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #5256 on: 21 May, 2021, 09:27:13 am »
They still won't find what they want in the self-service warehouse though.

« Reply #5257 on: 21 May, 2021, 12:39:04 pm »
Swift’s can fly 800km in a day.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2278226-common-swifts-can-fly-more-than-800-kilometres-a-day-during-migration/amp/

Swifts can fuel up on insects without landing, which allows them to remain in flight for about 10 months of the year.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5258 on: 24 May, 2021, 08:25:56 am »
That X-Pac fabric is not in fact completely waterproof.

Associated relearning: to completely empty all luggage after every wet ride (hike, etc). Especially of things made of water-absorbent materials.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5259 on: 24 May, 2021, 09:47:08 am »

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2278226-common-swifts-can-fly-more-than-800-kilometres-a-day-during-migration/amp/

Swifts can fuel up on insects without landing, which allows them to remain in flight for about 10 months of the year.

According to a different report I saw they can not only refuel but preen in flight.  I wouldn't be surprised if they could start a family at the same time.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5260 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:41:49 am »

According to a different report I saw they can not only refuel but preen in flight.  I wouldn't be surprised if they could start a family at the same time.

They do.

« Reply #5261 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:42:15 am »
I wouldn't be surprised if they could start a family at the same time.
They do. The only time they land is at the nest. They mate while flying.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5262 on: 24 May, 2021, 10:50:56 am »
They also sleep while flying.   A series of nano sleeps apparently.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5263 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:14:33 am »

They do.

I'm not surprised. Told ya. ;)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5264 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:24:54 am »

They do.

And gather coconuts…

[“That's swallows!” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5265 on: 24 May, 2021, 11:56:38 am »

Some fun facts about swifts (one of my favourite birds).

https://www.rspb.org.uk/globalassets/downloads/documents/conservation--sustainability/help-swifts/amazing-swift-facts.pdf

« Reply #5266 on: 24 May, 2021, 08:51:44 pm »
That Bluebird V rode on leaf springs.

« Reply #5267 on: 25 May, 2021, 08:08:41 am »

well, they aren't called "Slows".

We live about 8 miles from the large, tall chimney (now disused) of a school building.  It's on the swifts migration route, and for about a week at the start and end of summer large flocks of them circle it just before nightfall and then all fly straight down to roost.  Local predator birds noticed this, too (along with the humans sitting on portable chairs to watch the spectacle), so measures were taken to make the area less friendly to them.

« Reply #5268 on: 01 June, 2021, 01:34:40 pm »
That First Direct use voice recognition to check a callers identity - I was told "I need more audio, can I have the first line of your address please".

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5269 on: 05 June, 2021, 09:18:32 pm »
That the word cop, as in "cop hold of" or "cop a load of that" comes from the Dutch kaupen, to buy.

« Reply #5270 on: 06 June, 2021, 07:22:59 pm »

well, they aren't called "Slows".

We live about 8 miles from the large, tall chimney (now disused) of a school building.  It's on the swifts migration route, and for about a week at the start and end of summer large flocks of them circle it just before nightfall and then all fly straight down to roost.  Local predator birds noticed this, too (along with the humans sitting on portable chairs to watch the spectacle), so measures were taken to make the area less friendly to them.

I’ve not seen a swallow spit, either.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5271 on: 09 June, 2021, 10:16:10 am »
That the "Care in the Community" policy originated with Enoch Powell in 1961.

ian

« Reply #5272 on: 09 June, 2021, 11:08:52 am »
That the "Care in the Community" policy originated with Enoch Powell in 1961.

Around my locale, there are many former mental hospitals and asylums, all now housing estates and golf courses. The one that pioneered psychosurgery is now the Greatpark Estate. There's another, Caterham, which is now the Surrey National Golf Course, other than the small and atmospheric graveyard – that was where the infamous (for children of a certain age) Joey Deacon lived – the main thrust of his campaign was de-instutionalization and community care (and indeed, he got his wish). Similarly, there's another former Croydon mental hospital at Netherne-on-the-Hill, you can see the splendid water tower (now flats as part of the bigger estate that replaced the hospital) if you drive down the A23 towards the M25.

Possible there was a policy to put all the mental hospitals in Croydon. Or locally driven demand.

« Reply #5273 on: 09 June, 2021, 11:18:30 am »
Epsom had similar. I believe that one in ten of the population was officially insane. Those institutions too are now all long gone.
Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5274 on: 09 June, 2021, 11:59:53 am »
And Banstead (closed 1986), which was so famous that Atomic Rooster wrote a song about it.  Hammond organ botherer and bipolar sufferer Vincent Crane had been a patient there.

The site is now occupied by a prison, which speaks volumes about the priorities of those in power ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime