Author Topic: Aldi Coffee machine - Ambiano  (Read 7248 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Aldi Coffee machine - Ambiano
« on: 02 April, 2020, 08:45:54 am »
Does anyone have an Ambiano "Nespresso" coffee machine from Aldi, bought in about Nov/Dec 2018 - and the instructions please ? (we've just moved house and still surrounded by boxes so hard to find the domestic appliance instruction folder we have)

The machine when in use has 3 buttons on the top - 1 for on/off; 1 for one cup, 1 for two cup dispensing - the dispensing buttons are normally a blue light . . . . mine have now changed to yellow.   No idea why, and the machine still works but does make the odd grunt when it's pumping.

It's been flush cleaned with a "washing pod" in case that was the issue - the only other possibility in my mind is that it may be an indicator perhaps for some other sort of check/treatment (e.g. de-scaling) - so does anyone know please?

[Slightly frustrated as the mega-machine we have plumbed in is away being serviced and I obviously can't go into Birmingham to fetch it.]

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Aldi Coffee machine - Ambiano
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:19:09 am »
When I got a half-decent machine our Nespresso engine stood unused for a few months, then I gave it to a friend.  It had worked fine for us right to the end, so I reckon that drying out once they've been in service does something nasty.

I must fire up my old Europiccola and see if it's still OK.  It'd be a shame to disable it through neglect.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2020, 10:23:27 am »
Is it this one  Rob there is a help line No and model ref?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-coffee-capsule-machine/p/087640238284800
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2020, 10:57:36 am »
Is it this one  Rob there is a help line No and model ref.

Yep - that's the one BUT the helpline is no use at all (it has a 3 year warranty and they just offered a refund) - and no online manual or ability to send one.

STOP PRESS - Mrs robgul has scoured some boxes and found the manual  :thumbsup: - it's the indicator lights for de-scaling ... and there are instructions.  Panic over, I was beginning to quiver through potential lack of coffee.

Rob

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:05:53 am »
That's good!

Nowadays it is rare to not find a Manual online as a pdf, but my Google Other Search Engines are available skills failed.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:28:41 am »
Panic over, I was beginning to quiver through potential lack of coffee.

Rob

Always have a stove top expresso pot available for just this emergency :thumbsup:

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2020, 11:55:08 am »
  Panic over, I was beginning to quiver through potential lack of coffee.

Rob

Always have a stove top expresso pot available for just this emergency :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Nope - I have 3 different size Mokka pots BUT we now have a spangly induction hob that needs steel pots & pans, they are aluminium - fallback is/was the cafetiere/French press.

Rob

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2020, 02:10:00 pm »
That's a bind with induction hobs.  I have cafetière, Mokka pot and a vacuum pot and none of them would work on one.

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2020, 03:48:38 pm »
UPDATE - the fully automated de-scaling process completed with a water/white vinegar solution and all seems back to normal.  Phew!

Rob

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2020, 03:54:33 pm »

Yep - that's the one BUT the helpline is no use at all (it has a 3 year warranty and they just offered a refund) - and no online manual or ability to send one.

STOP PRESS - Mrs robgul has scoured some boxes and found the manual  :thumbsup: - it's the indicator lights for de-scaling ... and there are instructions.  Panic over, I was beginning to quiver through potential lack of coffee.

Rob

Been using my Dad's old espresso machine since about 2005 but I've *always* had a caffetiere on hand as emergency backup.  I know what you mean though, when Tesco's stopped selling Lavazza the other week I was panicked that I might actually have to buy some instant coffee - nooooooooooo!
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #10 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:01:05 pm »
That's a bind with induction hobs.  I have cafetière, Mokka pot and a vacuum pot and none of them would work on one.

But you can get those flat steel discs to convert your expensive induction hob into a 1950's style "don't put your hand on that bit, you can't tell if its on or off". electric cooker. Although the one I recycled to my daughter doesn't seem to have been overused.
My first ever boss had an expression "now you're cooking with gas" and it is still my preferred heat source, especially for ovens.

My preferred coffee machine is a Cona (now I have a Bodum that does the same thing and cost 3€ in a jumble sale) but it needs proper english meths not this distilled wine lake rubbish (that's one Brexit arguement that I don't think the Leavers used!)

robgul

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2020, 08:19:22 am »

Rob

Been using my Dad's old espresso machine since about 2005 but I've *always* had a caffetiere on hand as emergency backup.  I know what you mean though, when Tesco's stopped selling Lavazza the other week I was panicked that I might actually have to buy some instant coffee - nooooooooooo!

I know what you mean about instant coffee - gives me an immediate headache, and as for the taste . . .      We normally use Lavazza in the mega coffee machine (a Fracino Bambino, single group) and Mrs robgul is always on the lookout for special offers on it.  Just placed an online order for some more Aldi pods as the return of the big machine from being serviced is probably some way away.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2020, 08:23:13 am »

But you can get those flat steel discs to convert your expensive induction hob into a 1950's style "don't put your hand on that bit, you can't tell if its on or off". electric cooker. Although the one I recycled to my daughter doesn't seem to have been overused.
My first ever boss had an expression "now you're cooking with gas" and it is still my preferred heat source, especially for ovens.

My preferred coffee machine is a Cona (now I have a Bodum that does the same thing and cost 3€ in a jumble sale) but it needs proper english meths not this distilled wine lake rubbish (that's one Brexit arguement that I don't think the Leavers used!)

I was planning to look around for one of those steel conversion plates so that we can still use some of the pans we already have - although a new set has been purchased.  We've gone from about 9 years with an AGA (and supplemenary 2 ring electric hob) to 20 years with a gas hob/electric oven range cooker.  If it all gets desperate we have a Camping Gaz stove at the allotment and, somewhere, I have a Primus paraffin stove  :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2020, 09:25:28 am »

Our hob is ceramic so no induction worries.  I also have a portable gas burner and most of a job lot of gas canisters that I got to use with the wok. Next step is a decent two-handled round-bottomed wok with a ring, since our flat-bottomed one takes too much oil and is little more than a fancy frying-pan.

Uni chum of mine had a Cona, which took bloody ages to make a pot.  My vacuum pot is a Bodum, 18€ new on a Maxicoffee special offer. It's entertaining for when we have visitors, especially when it makes rude noises in the middle of the table.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #14 on: 05 April, 2020, 10:37:00 pm »
Just get a stainless steel moka pot. Works great on an induction hob, super quick to heat up.
Though make sure it is not too narrow. A "2 cup" steel moka pot may be too narrow for some induction hobs.  So I've got a 6 cup version.

robgul

« Reply #15 on: 07 April, 2020, 07:42:01 am »
Just get a stainless steel moka pot. Works great on an induction hob, super quick to heat up.
Though make sure it is not too narrow. A "2 cup" steel moka pot may be too narrow for some induction hobs.  So I've got a 6 cup version.

Good tip - I'll investigate as a second teir back-up after the pod-machine  - looks like it'll be sometime before I get the BIG coffee machine back - and then I've got to connect the water to it and get someone to drill a hole in the granite worktop for the pipes.   

Just stocked up on a further supply of the Aldi pods.

Rob

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16 on: 07 April, 2020, 12:06:35 pm »
We bought a special metal plate for use on induction hobs as a hob/aluminium pan interface. It's pretty crap - my limited experience using it indicates that not enough of the heat transfers from Fe to Al just through resting the Al on it. Totally different matter, of course, when the Fe is bonded to the Al. Very effective then.

I feel an experiment with a glass cafetiere coming on...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2021, 06:54:11 am »

Hi, can anyone recommend a good place to buy Ambiano coffee capsule machine?

robgul

« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2021, 07:39:51 am »

Hi, can anyone recommend a good place to buy Ambiano coffee capsule machine?

Ambiano is an ALDI own-brand - they only sell stuff under their "Special Buys" deals (i.e. they buy a quantity on spec and then sell them - when they're gone, they're gone - for that batch)

Best thing is to subscribe to ALDI's email shots and wait until you see the item listed and order one online.

That said there are other budget pod-machines at not a lot more than the ALDI machine.

« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2021, 11:16:33 am »
Dammit.    I kicked the coffee after realising that drinking it in pint mugs several times a day wasn't a good thing.  With the exception of a cup of tea on random occasions I've been caffeine free for a few years.

This thread has made me dust off the coffee machine and load it with the stuff from the back of the cupboard (https://www.taylorsofharrogate.co.uk/house-blends/hot-lava-java)

I feel like a naughty schoolkid heading behind the back of the bike shed for a sneaky smoke.

<slurps>    Aahhhhhh

robgul

« Reply #20 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:30:41 pm »
Dammit.    I kicked the coffee after realising that drinking it in pint mugs several times a day wasn't a good thing.  With the exception of a cup of tea on random occasions I've been caffeine free for a few years.

This thread has made me dust off the coffee machine and load it with the stuff from the back of the cupboard (https://www.taylorsofharrogate.co.uk/house-blends/hot-lava-java)

I feel like a naughty schoolkid heading behind the back of the bike shed for a sneaky smoke.

<slurps>    Aahhhhhh

Steady on - you'll be graduating to one of these before you know where you are  ;D

- fully plumbed in and on a time switch to be ready in the morning  :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:38:30 pm »
Mug #2 now empty.

« Reply #22 on: 18 May, 2021, 12:24:58 am »
Mug #2 now empty.

I wonder why I can't sleep?