Author Topic: Ice trike , need a new rear deraillure  (Read 1900 times)

Ice trike , need a new rear deraillure
« on: 10 April, 2020, 02:57:50 pm »
I’ve got an ice trike sprint.  The teeth are worn down on one of the jockey wheels on the rear derailleur.  It says shimano deore on it but when I google this trying to find a spare part there’s a few different options.  Does anyone know which one I need please?  Will any 9 speed one be ok?

Also are they easy to fit and should I fit a new chain at the same time?  Think I read somewhere once this was good practice.  Am trying to avoid having to go to a bike shop for a professional to look at it in the current climate but I don’t really know what I’m doing!  :)

network.ned

Re: Ice trike , need a new rear deraillure
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:07:50 pm »
Just get some new jockey wheels Something like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PMQZWTG/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_u1hKEbK59YQA9

Check the chain for stretch, but also check cassette and chain ring teeth. If they're all written, don't change just the chain because it will skip on the worn parts.

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2020, 03:45:00 pm »
It should have a model number embossed in very small type somewhere on it, often hidden on the back. Beginning RD.

network.ned

« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2020, 04:10:52 pm »

The teeth are worn down on one of the jockey wheels on the rear derailleur.

Just a thought.....
The teeth on a rear mech (derailleur) sprocket do normally look quite small. As a comparison, this one is a brand new Shimano mech tension pulley.

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2020, 05:38:46 am »
My Rohloff chain tensioner is on it's third set of jockey wheels ........  :thumbsup:
It's been crunched a couple of times over the years so it's probably not 100% square with the sprocket.
This slowly wears the teeth down until the chain starts to fall off one of them.
I tend to swop top and bottom at that point to see if I can get a few more miles out of them, but doing that probably won't help you.
My understanding is there are two types of jockey wheel based around the bolt diameter.
Just get the ones based on your derailleur model, unscrew the old one, replace with new one, your good for a few K miles more.

Luck ...........  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2020, 12:14:02 pm »
Huret derailleurs of old didn't have toothed pulleys and some had proper bearings to boot.  Halt the ringing cry of progress ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2020, 01:01:02 pm »
I'm sure it obvious but humour me, why not just replace or straighten the tensioner

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2020, 03:52:50 pm »
It's not just the tensioner.

I run a 21 tooth sprocket to get the low gear range I want, sub 10".
Without a slight mod to the tensioner then the upper jockey wheel will touch the sprocket and there's no "b" screw on it to stop this.
I run my lower chaintube alongside the power pulley and not under it.
I've found if it's under the pulley then it's the lowest point and it's possible to catch it on the ground when going over real rough off road tracks
This makes the chain run reach the tensioner at a constant slight angle.
This is just enough to wear the lower jockey wheel out over +10k miles.
And it's always the lower wheel that goes first.

Plus ~£5 every couple of years isn't going to break the bank ........ :D

« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2020, 08:11:14 pm »
Some years ago I bought a generic set of jockey pulleys that had a number of different inserts to adapt to various mechs from the main makers (they didn't fit too well on the vintage Simplex mech that I wanted them for, too tight which made it difficult getting the bolt in - and out). I think the make was BBB, either that or XLC, mainstream generic, not a little, hard to find, maker

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9 on: 12 April, 2020, 08:13:35 am »
I bought something similar, I remember them as an Oxford product, though it was that long ago my memory could be failing
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

network.ned

« Reply #10 on: 13 April, 2020, 08:21:48 pm »

I think the make was BBB

They probably were BBB. I had a set on my commuter bike, and still have the tensioner pulley on a shelf above the bench in my shed. They appealed to me because they have 'sealed' ball bearings in them. Despite regular greasing, the one on the shelf is siezed solid after only about 12 months use.

I now only buy Shimano or Campy mech pullies.

PDQ frame now sourced. On to the build...

« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2020, 01:40:08 pm »
Thanks, I narrowed the model down on wiggle website where it’s reduced from £48 to £28 so have ordered one.