Author Topic: Washing Machines  (Read 12270 times)

Washing Machines
« on: 27 June, 2020, 02:19:49 pm »
Advice please

Have a probably 5 year old samsung eco bubble which during the week wouldn't drain. Cleaned filter and now drains fine.

However and these may be unrelated it now vibrates like mad. It may have been doing before as I tend to run it overnight. The rubber door seal is coming apart which I wonder if could be causing it as not supporting properly at dront

A quick Google and replacing the rubber doesn't seem too hard. However there what looks like a hard plastic ring between the drum and the grey rubber seal which also looks worn but struggling to see if is part of the seals I can find online

Oh just to clarify I didn't move the washing machine when cleaning the filter so its not that as far as I can tell I've moved the legs

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Washing machine woes
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2020, 03:07:58 pm »
Just to check the obvious: The transport bolts have been removed, haven't they?

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2020, 03:16:30 pm »
Yeah. Machine has been in use for several years with no roblems and they were removed and put somewhere safe so in other words no hope of ever finding them

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2020, 03:22:43 pm »
I keep coming across people who have no knowledge that washing machines have transport bolts.  If you buy a new washing machine, there tends to be a warning label, or a section in the destructions or whatever, but most people's washing machines are supplied by the landlord, or bought second hand or whatever, and they never get to see them.

See also: Flatbed scanners.

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:00:56 pm »
A cycling friend of mine used to make a decent living repairing domestic appliances. He stopped, because they’re now cheaper to replace than repair.
His advice to me was to either spend usual money and expect 3years, maybe more if you use it carefully, or spend oodles on one of the very expensive ones like the Miele over £1500 ones, that are built to last.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:17:27 pm »
It might be worth checking the springs holding the drum, over time they fail and snap with the result that the drum sounds like it is trying to make a break for freedom!

I replaced ours in November last year when one snapped. It cost £17.60 for a spring set.  Our Hotpoint WM is getting on for 17 years old now!  :o
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:42:19 pm »
A cycling friend of mine used to make a decent living repairing domestic appliances. He stopped, because they’re now cheaper to replace than repair.
His advice to me was to either spend usual money and expect 3years, maybe more if you use it carefully, or spend oodles on one of the very expensive ones like the Miele over £1500 ones, that are built to last.

This. Interlock went recently on our LG direct drive WM. I now know that I could have changed it in half an hour for £35.  ::-) . Outer door rubber was held in place by a wire ring with sprung section with only two bolts holding the interlock in place and which also had push connectors. Simples.

However local repair guy wanted £110 or so plus parts presumably plus VAT. We therefore bought a new Samsung Eco Bubble from John Lewis with a five year guarantee (2+3 free) for £350. Incidentally, never managed to balance the LG. although it was a good washer with a motor guaranteed for ten years, it was always going for a walk. The Samsung, which is a bit noisier, has not moved a mm from day one. If funds would allow I would go for a Miele next time. Bosch are good but not as good as they used to be, the cheaper ones are not made in Germany and  washing cycles take forever.

Check the feet on your machine it could simply be that one of the feet has moved due to the locking nut becoming loose and has lost contact with the floor. Some brand info I have picked up along the way, now some time ago so may have changed since:

AEG = rebadged Zannusi. Not made in Germany
John Lewis =  Electrolux with quasi AEG facia
Bauknecht = rebadged Whirlpool
Neff = Bosch
Siemen = Bosch
Beko = Arcelik Turkey
Belling = LEC
Smeg = Hakam
Tesco = Vestal of Turkey
Baumatic = In receivership Candy purchased brand
Creda = Indesit
Zanussi = Electrolux
Tricity Bendix = Ditto
Haier = Chinese
Flavel = Beko
Falcon = Rangemaster.
Russell Hobbs = Asda
Hotpoint = Indesit
Liebherr= High qual German
Ariston Indesit Hotpoint Creda Cannon = all ulitmately Aristide.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: 27 June, 2020, 06:27:33 pm »
I've found plenty of online bits on replacing the grey rubber seal but it's the hard plastic bit that I'm not convinced is part of the seal. Probably need to look at some other washing machines

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 27 June, 2020, 07:35:14 pm »

I spent £850 on my Miele 20 years ago. It has had recent issues but still mostly seems to work.

« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2020, 07:46:34 pm »
I keep coming across people who have no knowledge that washing machines have transport bolts.  If you buy a new washing machine, there tends to be a warning label, or a section in the destructions or whatever, but most people's washing machines are supplied by the landlord, or bought second hand or whatever, and they never get to see them.

Yup. Was at my SiL and BiLs cottage in The Lakes a couple of years ago and they were moaning about the new washing machine and how it was noisy, vibrated like a bugger and wouldn't stay put. Let shave a look I said and sure enough transportation bolts still in place. Whipped them out and quiet and vibration free washing was achieved.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2020, 07:50:25 pm »
We had a cheap washing machine when Pcolbeck Junior was little and it lasted precisely one week longer than than the warranty before it shook itself to pieces. The concrete block used for damping basically started to disintegrate.

Since then we have had tow Bosch machines. The first lasted about 13 years being used every other day. It did break a control dial but a replacement was available at a reasonable price from Bosch. The the current one has lasted 10 years so far. Doesn't get used as much as the first one though especially since Pcolbeck junior left home.

The Bosch ones werent massively expensive but more than a Creda or a Beko.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #11 on: 17 July, 2020, 02:29:47 pm »
I have a rather odd washing machine problem. 6 month old Electrolux. Worked fine until now. Came to use it and the on/off switch wouldn't respond. Unplugged it to check fuse, which was ok, then plugged back in, and now the switch works, and machine works as normal. On the following few days, I found out that if left plugged in (and wall socket on), after a few hours, the switch doesn't respond, yet unplugging and plugging back in (or switching off and back on at the wall socket) and the machine springs back to life. The same happened when plugged into a different socket and no other appliance in the house behaves like this. Any idea what is going on?

Anyway, as its under guarantee, engineer is coming out later.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #12 on: 17 July, 2020, 02:50:10 pm »
We had a cheap washing machine when Pcolbeck Junior was little and it lasted precisely one week longer than than the warranty before it shook itself to pieces. The concrete block used for damping basically started to disintegrate.

Since then we have had tow Bosch machines. The first lasted about 13 years being used every other day. It did break a control dial but a replacement was available at a reasonable price from Bosch. The the current one has lasted 10 years so far. Doesn't get used as much as the first one though especially since Pcolbeck junior left home.

Our 19 year old Bosch failed on 23 March(!) and was replaced with a new Miele - hopefully I and it will be reporting in fine and fully functional in 30 years.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #13 on: 17 July, 2020, 02:51:25 pm »
The on/off switch which is becoming unresponsive is probably not just a simple switch.
When the machine is 'off', it's not really off; it's in a standby mode listening out for instructions to come out of standby.
The on/off switch will just be a button which pokes the electronics which will be sitting in standby to come out of standby.

The standby PSU or software or somesuch is falling over and not hearing the button calling for it to come out of standby, and only an actual hard power-cycle is re-setting it.

I expect they will replace the control PCB.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14 on: 17 July, 2020, 04:08:07 pm »

Our 19 year old Bosch failed on 23 March(!) and was replaced with a new Miele - hopefully I and it will be reporting in fine and fully functional in 30 years.

My 20 year old Miele started smelling burnt at the end of April. Miele advised I could continue to use it with care. (Local firm was Staying Home.)

I had real smoke emit after a hot cotton wash last week, after which I was reluctant to use the machine. Engineer came Monday and told me drum was distorted and it was new machine time.

I have a new Miele on order but it will take around a fortnight to arrive.

I know I could get one more quickly from John Lewis but I want my local chaps to supply and fit. They have been really sensible throughout the COVID lockdown and I feel their prudence merits my custom. (I await a parcel of Emergency Underpants from M&S for David.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 17 July, 2020, 05:34:42 pm »
The same happened when plugged into a different socket and no other appliance in the house behaves like this. Any idea what is going on?

It's a computer, and it's crashing or failing to come out of standby or something.  I'd suspect a dicky DC power supply, probably due to electrolytic capacitors drying up.

This is beyond the scope of a washine machine repair person.  They'll just swap in a new control board.

« Reply #16 on: 17 July, 2020, 09:28:43 pm »
It's a computer, and it's crashing or failing to come out of standby or something.  I'd suspect a dicky DC power supply, probably due to electrolytic capacitors drying up.

This is beyond the scope of a washine machine repair person.  They'll just swap in a new control board.

That’s exactly what the engineer did, and he pointed to a capacitor on the old board and said that was the most likely cause.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 17 July, 2020, 11:38:27 pm »
To be fair, last time I tried to troubleshoot the electronics of a washing machine, I got hot and bothered and covered in washing powder allergy trying to gain access, then did something careless with a multimeter probe and self-untapping screw - conclusively releasing the magic smoke from some important-looking semiconductor and justifying the purchase of a new washing machine.

« Reply #18 on: 18 July, 2020, 08:33:23 am »
BTDT! Sometimes I think I should behave like a (normal?) non technical person. If it won't turn on GAPI* or buy a new one.
*'person' not 'man' ,  usually male but l am pleased when not.

« Reply #19 on: 18 July, 2020, 06:00:29 pm »
The PSU controller chip in my Bosch dishwasher burnt itself out after 8 years. Was an easy £2 fix.

But that was easy because the whole thing suddenly died overnight. If it had just been misbehaving I wouldn't know where to start.

« Reply #20 on: 18 July, 2020, 08:23:46 pm »
Had to replace the belt on our old French Carrefour cheapo.
First I was surprised to find a belt for a 10 year old machine, second, surprised it was so hard to fit. Luckily my park tools tyre lever came to the rescue. Sold it with the house and probably still going.  Cheap and very basic.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #21 on: 18 July, 2020, 08:32:26 pm »
Had to replace the belt on our old French Carrefour cheapo.
First I was surprised to find a belt for a 10 year old machine, second, surprised it was so hard to fit. Luckily my park tools tyre lever came to the rescue. Sold it with the house and probably still going.  Cheap and very basic.

Yes, the belts are held under a fair tension by strong springs that pivot the motor to maintain tension.
I usually have to use a socket-set 12" extension bar as a lever to shift the motor to facilitate belt replacement.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #22 on: 21 July, 2020, 10:14:27 am »
My cheapo machine is about 9 years old now.  Internet told me 10 years was about average for that level of price/quality.

I had a person in within about 6 months as the bearings died very early on, he said they weren't done properly to start with.
Then fine for a few years, until the program dial stopt dialling.  It had cracked and so wasn't gripping, a quick dismantle and a bit of sticky tape sorted it out.
Since then I've replaced 2/3 paddles (carefully designed not to be replaceable unless you tweak a few things).

Finally, I've found 2 sheared off screws in the filter and it makes a terrible racket when spinning (as in drowning out the audio when I am wfh) - no doubt they're related.  I'm suspecting whatever those screws are it's beyond my capabilities to fix, not that I've looked.  Based on last time I got local repair bloke round (for the previous machine so 10+ years back) he's since retired in any case.  So my plan is to only run the machine when there's supervision available (ie not when we're out or overnight) and then get a new one when it dies completely.
Or does anyone have a suggestion :-)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #23 on: 21 July, 2020, 10:58:06 am »
Very good info site on white goods
https://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: 22 July, 2020, 08:04:53 am »
Fwiw my Dad's a fireman and he reckons never ever run a washing machine (or tumble drier) when asleep or out, whether it's in good condition or not.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1