Author Topic: Air suspension recommendations  (Read 1631 times)

Air suspension recommendations
« on: 07 August, 2020, 02:07:15 am »
I'm looking to swap out my 165mm coiled suspension for an adjustable air suspension unit so whether I go for a day ride or a laden tour I can dial it in. I have a Challenge Furai and am looking for something at the bottom end pricewise that's available for around £150, lockout would be nice but not essential. I'm hoping someone will have suggestions borne out of experience.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Air suspension recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2020, 02:15:50 am »
I replaced the cheap-ass BSO-stylee thing on my Speedmachine with a Fox air thing after the former underwent spontaneous DETH, and 'twas like night and day.  This was many years ago, mind, and the Fox unit was on special offer from CRC.  Don't forget to budget for a shock pump.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2020, 11:30:44 am »
Similarly, I replaced the cheap-ass BSO-stylee thing on my Streetmachine with a Fox air thing after the former progressively lost all its damping.

Had to do a fair bit of digging to obtain a one in the right size, thobut.  The spoingy mudbikes seem to have standardised on slightly longer ones.  I dare say I could have emailed those lovely people at HPVelotechnik, who would have supplied me with something appropriate in exchange for a depressingly large bank transfer.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2020, 06:53:10 pm »
a Fox air thing after the former underwent spontaneous DETH, and 'twas like night and day.  This was many years ago, mind, and the Fox unit was on special offer from CRC.

It was actually DT Swiss – I upgraded my Speedmachine at the same time – but same difference.  It was a properly good bit of kit.

The spoingy mudbikes seem to have standardised on slightly longer ones.

The one on mine is an enormous Manitou Swinger coil-over, which whooshes quietly to itself (and probably weighs as much as a CHR), but Fox seem to have the market these days.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2020, 11:49:47 pm »
I replaced the cheap-ass BSO-stylee thing on my Speedmachine

Sorry no idea what that acronym stands for  ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2020, 11:52:13 pm »
I replaced the cheap-ass BSO-stylee thing on my Speedmachine

Sorry no idea what that acronym stands for  ???

Bicycle-Shaped Object.  Think full-suspension mountain bike bought for less than £100 from ASDA.

I don't think the stock HPV spring-and-damper shocks are quite in that league.  Not when they're new, anyway - but they do tend to develop similar performance with age.  (I expect a true BSO shock would have a rust-activated lock-out feature, which is arguably less annoying than a spring with no damping.)

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2020, 11:42:37 am »
 :facepalm:  I like it ....BSO

Just bought the Rockshox Monarch RL 165mm. Hard to find one for under £200 but having gone beyond the usual first/second page of google search results found one for around £165 all in. So quite pleased with myself.