Author Topic: I have done something foolish  (Read 7216 times)

I have done something foolish
« on: 24 October, 2020, 04:27:45 pm »
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: I have done something foolish
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2020, 04:31:41 pm »
You spell wonderful in a funny way  :thumbsup: ;D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2020, 06:34:24 pm »
Enjoy

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:07:51 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:20:13 pm »
Very nice  :thumbsup:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:35:24 pm »
Did you get the pint of milk?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2020, 07:44:49 pm »
Looks like three pints to me!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2020, 10:49:22 pm »
eeeeehxcelent!!!
(click to show/hide)
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2020, 02:00:16 pm »
#1 child (10) is most impressed and would like a go.  #2.2 child (5) spend a good ten minutes sitting on it and playing about.
My wife was less impressed, it's the first time she's commented that I will need to sell another one of my bikes; "I'd have rather have a holiday in Spain" etc. 
It's not the best week for it for other family reasons and, yes, it's foolish in that I don't really have money to spare.  It *is* covered by my stringent budgeting over the last 5 years though (and I did sell a bike four years ago Itellsya).

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #9 on: 25 October, 2020, 04:06:52 pm »
If you don't get on, you'll always get most of your money back. You'll get nothing for second hand memories of a week in Spain, 3 years old.

« Reply #10 on: 25 October, 2020, 06:04:41 pm »
Nice one  :thumbsup:  I also bought a new toy from the BHPC forum this week  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 25 October, 2020, 08:18:39 pm »
Ooooh, did you get the highracer?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #12 on: 25 October, 2020, 09:18:40 pm »
Looks thoroughly sensible to me!

« Reply #13 on: 25 October, 2020, 10:26:43 pm »
Ooooh, did you get the highracer?
Yes :) I reckon if either of us was a bit foolish in our purchases, it was me given where I am on my ‘bent journey, but I thought what the hell  ;D

I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with the Catrike - they’re supposed to be pretty speedy  :)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2020, 08:27:46 pm »
If you don't get on, you'll always get most of your money back. You'll get nothing for second hand memories of a week in Spain, 3 years old.

I got more than my money back on my first one
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #15 on: 27 October, 2020, 12:23:30 am »
Very nice.

I'm assuming it's only a Schlumpf Speed Drive with around a 30t chainring fitted in front.
It looks to small to be one of the others.
If it is then you can half step it with a 38/30 double if you want to tweak your gears a little more.
If you have 170mm cranks then the kick plates can make the hub shift a bit easier if you wear sandals.

Luck ...........  ;D

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #16 on: 28 October, 2020, 09:35:17 am »
 :thumbsup:
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #17 on: 28 October, 2020, 09:43:39 am »
Took it out for a very quick spin this am:
- it's not as ballachey to get through the house as I thought, BUT I do need to clear the space for it to move through and dead lift, twist and wriggle at points.
- it took all of a couple seconds to sort out riding it (unlike the months on the SPM)
- pushed the boom in as far as it goes and my #1 son had a go.  That was it for my trial run really, he enjoyed himself thoughbut.
- I sit much higher than previous owner, shoulders on the top bar and headrest at the limit
- did an uphill on the way back, rear wheel kept spinning on the wet leaves and I was properly hanging over the back wheel to try and increase contact.  On the plus side I could have stopped for a cup of tea and biscuits and then set off again.

« Reply #18 on: 28 October, 2020, 06:51:38 pm »
- did an uphill on the way back, rear wheel kept spinning on the wet leaves and I was properly hanging over the back wheel to try and increase contact.  On the plus side I could have stopped for a cup of tea and biscuits and then set off again.
Rear wheel grip is always going to be the limiting factor when hill climbing on a tadpole trike.
Having a very smooth pedaling action can help.
But it's normally the case of looking ahead and aiming for the cleanest/roughist tarmac visible or around rocks if off road.
You can also use your hands to pull the front wheels around to give yourself 3 wheel drive if the going gets very bad. It may just get you off a slippy patch.
The other trick to look out for is getting off the trike on an iffy slope because when your weight leaves the seat then the whole trike can start to slide backward. That normally happens when I get stuck on a hill with the a full camping load in the trailer.

Luck .......  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 28 October, 2020, 07:07:17 pm »
I once got stuck on a Flanders mur when the Trice's back wheel dropped into a sand-filled gap between two cobblestones.  Couldn’t go forward, couldn’t dismount, couldn’t even reverse into the bank, because there wasn’t one – only a manky old ditch.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #20 on: 30 October, 2020, 11:00:25 am »
Went for a longer (7 mile?) ride this am with #1 child.  I only got about 2/3 of the ride on the trike as #1 child had a couple goes (including a loop on cannon hill park).  When you hit the rougher surface it doesn't half rattle your teeth - maybe a 26" fat tyre at the back would solve this.  Also developing my position on the bike - I think I want to be as far forward/low as possible.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #21 on: 30 October, 2020, 12:45:01 pm »
Yeah foolish to keep the children entertained.

Can you cycle with child on your shoulders?

« Reply #22 on: 30 October, 2020, 05:53:24 pm »
When you hit the rougher surface it doesn't half rattle your teeth - maybe a 26" fat tyre at the back would solve this.
What tyre pressure are you using ??
On my 20" wheels I've found that there's a pressure above about 60 psi where the ride suddenly becomes a lot rougher as the tyres lose their ability to absorb a lot of the road buzz.
So if you're running your tyre at anywhere near their maximum pressure then try soften them a bit and see if ride improves.
Saying that, no tyre pressure really improves the ride over cobblestones .....  :o

Luck ..........  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #23 on: 30 October, 2020, 06:03:35 pm »
As a rule of thumb I used to knock about one-third off the tyre pressures on a trike as compared with a bike.  This after whanging round the indifferently-surfaced lanes of Leafy Surrey on a Trice Micro with ~ 120 psi all round and a trip to the Fang Farrier.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:30:55 pm »
Multi-track vehicles are inherently rattlier than bicycles.  You're getting shaken on more than one axis.  And it's that little bit harder to dodge all the rough bits.

But yes, careful experimentation with tyre pressure is key.  Also, trying different kinds of tyres, and occasionally wishing the budget had stretched to suspension :)

On the basis that barakta doesn't have the hands for dealing with punctures, we started off with Marathon Plus on the baraktacycle, which was as awful as you might expect (and she still managed to get a visitation on the Rea Valley route).  I bought some Kojaks to experiment with when they were going cheap, which made her a bit faster (at least on-road), and they had a definite sweet spot for pressure.  Then she went electric, so I put a Marathon Plus back on the back (because removing the motor wheel is a right faff) and since rolling resistance was now a non-issue invested in some Big Apples for the front, which were a definite improvement in comfort.

I've seen cycleman make good use of a grippy MTB tyre on the back of his ICE Adventure for silly canal adventures.  What it lacked in hawthorn-resistance is made up for with traction on wet bricks.