Author Topic: Smart Plugs  (Read 3792 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Smart Plugs
« Reply #50 on: 10 May, 2021, 11:29:30 pm »
Resurrecting this thread because I have recently discovered Tasmota.  Open source firmware for myriad internet-of-shit devices that can make them a lot less shitty (speaking MQTT/HTTP locally, without any of that cloud nonsense).
Does the Bold bit mean Jeff Bezos/Sundar Pichai don't get to know when you're turning your kitchen light on? It's all within the Kim & barakta Towers Netjbex?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #51 on: 10 May, 2021, 11:41:59 pm »
Resurrecting this thread because I have recently discovered Tasmota.  Open source firmware for myriad internet-of-shit devices that can make them a lot less shitty (speaking MQTT/HTTP locally, without any of that cloud nonsense).
Does the Bold bit mean Jeff Bezos/Sundar Pichai don't get to know when you're turning your kitchen light on? It's all within the Kim & barakta Towers Netjbex?

Exactly.  Needless to say I've got all this stuff quarantined on its own VLAN with no access to the outside internet.

To do clever thigns with Tasmota you need a MQTT broker (a simple piece of software that stores and forwards messages between clients).  Sort of thing that's easily run on a Linux server, Raspberry Pi or virtual machine.  And probably some sort of high-level decision-making/user interface stuff.  Don't ask me about that bit, I've just grafted them into my own proprietary system, but I see talk about NodeRed in Tasmota circles.

But, TBH, Tasmota has a lot of useful functionality on its own: Clever timers, event-based rules, sensor thresholds, that sort of thing.  So if you want, say, a light that comes on for 5 minutes when you press the switch and then switches itself off, but only after sunset, you can do that without connecting it to anything[1].  And the HTTP interface is phone-friendly (accessing and resolving it left as an exercise for the reader).  Not that these smart things won't have similar functionality on their stock firmware, but it probably relies on some cloud service at some point.

[1] Well, a time server's probably helpful...
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #52 on: 15 May, 2021, 12:30:17 am »
Today's adventure in wanky automation was configuring CUPS to tell the smart plug feeding the laserjet to switch on when a job is added to the print queueue.

This is obviously a vast improvement on the previous system of messaging barakta on IRC to tell her to frob the switch...
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...