Author Topic: Filling screw holes in a shower cubical  (Read 915 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Filling screw holes in a shower cubical
« on: 18 December, 2020, 10:16:52 am »
As mentioned elsewhere some of yesterday was invested in the replacement of the shower mixer due to the existing one eventually giving in to limescale buildup. This has resulted in a small number of screw holes in the tiles where the old unit was attached and which now need to be filled.

What does this august collective consider the best compound is to fulfil this issue. Given the need for waterproofing I’m currently considering a choice between silicon and epoxy but y;u might know something better?

Please help.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: Filling screw holes in a shower cubical
« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2020, 10:20:22 am »
I would probably just use grout to match/complement the tiles. You can also use a grout sealer over this.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 18 December, 2020, 10:21:21 am »
Tile grout would probably look better if you care about that.

« Reply #3 on: 18 December, 2020, 10:24:21 am »
grout and it is possible to dyed if necessary to match the tile. You might have dark tiles and light grout - so matching the tiles is a good idea.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4 on: 18 December, 2020, 10:47:44 am »
one option is to fit a stainless steel screw with a rubber washer (to provide a seal) in the hole(s).  If you put your mind to it you may be able to think of a use for the holes instead; for example  hooks for bottles of shower gel, or a stainless steel backing plate for the new parts (including the old holes) or perhaps a soap dish attachment... the list is probably endless.

cheers

« Reply #5 on: 18 December, 2020, 11:42:00 am »
Whatever you have to hand and open is the easy answer.

In the past I've used silicone, and as long as it's finished tidily it looks surprisingly neat even if the colour isn't a good match (I think it always ended up being white silicone and light tiles though, so never too much of a contrast).

« Reply #6 on: 18 December, 2020, 11:49:11 am »
I was thinking the same as Brucey.  If you use the screws that are made for attaching mirrors they have a screw-in cap which makes a nice, domed finish.  This is a proper solution for a mechanically-minded cyclist and furnishes a good conversation opener for people who shower communally.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2020, 12:10:00 pm »
I was thinking the same as Brucey.  If you use the screws that are made for attaching mirrors they have a screw-in cap which makes a nice, domed finish.  This is a proper solution for a mechanically-minded cyclist and furnishes a good conversation opener for people who shower communally.
Also, when you are picking up the soap you can check in the screw tops if there is anyone behind you.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 18 December, 2020, 12:17:01 pm »
180° Reflecto-vision.